IGNORED

Anyone pick up Atari Advance for PSP?

tiggerthehun

It's a handheld system.

designing external controllers for handheld systems defies the normal logic in having a HANDheld device in the first place.

retro controllers for Console releases makes perfect sense. Not for handhelds.

I agree but for me, handheld or console. Doesnt matter, just give me a controller so I can play it properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Overall, it seems pretty good after briefly trying out a few games. The classic mode for Asteroids retains the heartbeat sound, unlike the XBLA release. The evolved modes seem to be the same as the XBLA releases as we already pretty much knew.

The evolved version of Battlezone sucks, its the worst yet imo. I know several AtariAge members expressed some interest and hope for that one. This should be a nice way to get a preview of the upcoming XBLA releases for such things as Lunar Lander and Warlords.

Tempest controls poorly, just like the XBLA release. Very difficult to precisely aim if you just want to target one lane to finish off a enemy thats getting near the top. Also, Tempest is rotated on its side for the screen with the top of the screen actually being the right side of the PSP's screen, etc. This makes using the analog joystick difficult since it doesn't respond how you'd expect it to if you hold the PSP normally (Not about to play the thing on its side, hard enough to use the controls with the PSP oriented normally). So your stuck using the d-pad, which doesn't help you accurately shoot either, though its preferable to the analog nub.

The Atari 2600 games are locked until you complete 4 achievements for each game. They sound fairly easy so far to meet the requirements for the awards, but even still it would be nice to see a completed saved game posted soon so people don't have to play a significant amount of time to unlock 80% of the games on it. So I can't comment on the quality of the 2600 emulation just yet.

And I haven't looked closely, but it looks like this is devoid of the awesome bonus stuff we got with Atari Anthology. Its too bad Atari didn't retain Digital Eclipse for this and their XBLA releases.

Edited by Atariboy

I just got this collection earlier tonight. I've only tried a handful of games so far in their classic incarnations: Asteroids, Battlezone, Centipede, Missile Command, and Tempest. I haven't tried the "evolved" versions yet, or any games other than the ones I mentioned.

I'll get my two biggest complaints out of the way first:

1. The sound emulation is terrible. Asteroids (the first game I tried) was mostly OK, but the other games were far worse, particularly Missile Command and Tempest. The Atari compilations on PS1 and GBA had much better sound emulation. It's really shocking considering how powerful the PSP is (compared to PS1 and GBA), and how accurately the PSP has emulated far more complex hardware such as the Sega Genesis or Capcom's CPS-1 arcade hardware.

2. The graphics are accurate, and the developers were even thoughtful enough to include vertical orientation for games that had it in the arcade, but the renderer leaves much to be desired. If you've ever played Midway Arcade Treasures: Extended Play on PSP, and saw what most of the games look like on their default setting (without using the screen resize code revealed here), then you've got an idea of what to expect from the raster games in this package. The images are resized to fill the screen--no widescreen stretch, so the aspect ratios are accurate--but there's no filtering, so some lines of resolution are "doubled" and others are "singled". I'd prefer one-to-one reproduction of the pixel resolution on raster games, but if that's not an option then at least filter the stretched image. No such luck here. I was happy when a screen resize code for 1:1 pixel rendering was revealed for MAT:EP, and I'd damn well like to have one here too.

Apart from those problems, the emulation is fine. Games run at proper speed, and the controls (for the games I've tried) are as good as any other recent console rendition of these games. I had no qualms with the Tempest controls, myself. The sound is another story altogether, it doesn't sound anything like Tempest, but it looks good and plays well.

Tomorrow, I'll try more of the classics, as well as the evolved versions of the games.

Missile Command seemed okay besides that siren or whatever that plays at the start of a round sounding completely wrong. The control on the other hand left something to be desired in classic mode.

Did you try the classic version of Battlezone? It seemed much harder to get a hit than I remember, you almost needed to be aimed dead center at a enemy for it to register. Was it always like that and I was just remembering wrong?

Missile Command seemed okay besides that siren or whatever that plays at the start of a round sounding completely wrong.

That was the main thing. Also, the music that plays when you get a bonus city is also messed up in a similar way.

The control on the other hand left something to be desired in classic mode.

Hmm, I thought they did a solid job with the controls, on Missile Command and most games for that matter. Pong and Super Breakout are a bit tough to control, but that's true of most versions of those games where you're limited to a joypad or analog stick.

Did you try the classic version of Battlezone? It seemed much harder to get a hit than I remember, you almost needed to be aimed dead center at a enemy for it to register. Was it always like that and I was just remembering wrong?

I didn't notice anything unusual about the collision detection or anything else in terms of gameplay accuracy to the arcade.

I finally tried all of the other classic games. The sound is off on most of them, though the degrees vary from game to game. Tempest seems to be the biggest offender, as almost everything in Tempest sounds wrong. Missile Command has the quirks noted above, which are annoying. Centipede and Millipede would be fine except for the firing sound (another annoying sound) and the sound that occurs when you get killed. Most of the others don't have any serious flaws, maybe certain sounds here and there are a bit tinny, but it's still lamentable considering that even PS1 and GBA had better sound on those games.

I also tried a few of the "evolved" games (same five games that I tried "classic" yesterday), and in general I approve of them. The one and only thing that gets my goat is that "evolved" Centipede doesn't have any color changes between levels, just the same color palette throughout. I also think the music could've been better, and should be cued or change according to in-game events. For example, when the game ends, it should play specific "Game Over" music, rather than continuing to play the same in-game music right into the attract mode.

By the way, I got all four of the awards (like "skill points" where accomplishing certain tasks gets you an in-game token of recognition) for "evolved" Missile Command on my very first try, in a single game. :D

Yeah, the Missile Command ones are pretty easy. Lunar Lander was pretty easy to get as well.

A few of these are going to be a real pain to get though, hoping someone post a save with everything unlocked somewhere eventually since I'm not sure I'll be able to put up with playing things like Super Breakout without a paddle long enough to get them all, or winning a match in Pong without missing a ball.

You don't mind holding the PSP sideways to play things like Centipede and Millipede? I'm having trouble adjusting to that.

Yeah, the Missile Command ones are pretty easy. Lunar Lander was pretty easy to get as well.

A few of these are going to be a real pain to get though, hoping someone post a save with everything unlocked somewhere eventually since I'm not sure I'll be able to put up with playing things like Super Breakout without a paddle long enough to get them all, or winning a match in Pong without missing a ball.

Winning a perfect 11-0 match in Pong against the computer opponent looks like it's going to be a very tough feat, especially since the computer opponent is quite good.

You don't mind holding the PSP sideways to play things like Centipede and Millipede? I'm having trouble adjusting to that.

No, it's fine for those games. I got accustomed to rotating the PSP for Namco Museum Battle Collection and Capcom Classics Collection Remixed. Atari Anniversary Advance for Game Boy Advance also allowed you to rotate the unit for vertically-oriented arcade games (easier to play this way with the original GBA than the GBASP). Years before that, the Lynx had a few games that were played with vertical orientation. So, the whole concept is nothing new to me.

That said, I'm surprised this package didn't include the option to play the vertically-oriented arcade games with horizontal orientation. This option was present on Namco Museum Battle Collection, Capcom Classics Collection Remixed, and Atari Anniversary Advance--you had the choice of playing the vertically-oriented games holding the unit either vertically or horizontally. Atari Classics Evolved doesn't offer a choice--the vertically-oriented games must be played vertically. Vertical is OK for me personally, but the horizontal option really should've been there for people who want to use it, in light of other portable arcade game compilations having done this already.

i picked this up and it will be awhile before i unlock the 2600 games. ugh, other than lunar lander, the learning curve on the controls is high. simply a limitation of a psp.

i basically just go nuts on tempest. like others have said, if it ain't a knob, tempest is very frustrating.

I have to say, I truly agree with much of what's been said here about this release. My own opinion is that they should have called this "Atari Classics Devolved".

Pong is yet again another failed attempt to capture the arcade version, and I'm almost glad my technical adviser credit never made it in, because it looks like very little of it was followed. Besides the problems with Pong, all the emulated games are of poor quality. The emulated graphics on some of the games aren't much better than the GBA collections (including the vector lines which are fat and blocky). There's almost 0 original sounds as well - tempest's almost sounds like it was sampled off of those lcd keychain games. How hard would it have been to include samples from the original, the PSP is certainly capable of supporting them?

The "updated" versions are terrible as well. The graphics and game play can only be described as typical shareware/homebrew style. I.e. low level untextured 3d graphics with overdone lighting, obligatory mushy color explosions everywhere (in an attempt to say "look, modern explosions!"), etc. In some cases as people have reported, they move to far from the original game play and as someone said to me, from the very formula that made the game popular in the first place.

Just doesn't make any sense. Have to chalk it up to people not as familiar with the games as they should be being hired to develop it, and a starving management desperate to get a product out for Christmas (which they wound up missing anyways).

Edited by wgungfu

I think the paddle games suck but only due to the platform's controls. Nothing wrong with the controls in general but for games that really require potentiometer based equipment there's no substitute and no other way to interpret the movement.

These paddle games must have the cheapest licensing costs and get included on every type of machine that makes makes play impossible. No analog stick on the face of this planet can emulate a paddle controller. Sorry.

To say that the "evolved" versions suck/stink/blow etc, in my opinion, basically reflects that the games pretty much suck in their original form in these modern times. It's only the fact that we remember them when they were new that saves them from our direct hypercritical wrath. :) There are many people that just hate new things and change in general. Rightfully so in this case as theres just no way possible to make new versions of these old classics and keep everyone happy. Though I wouldn't mind seeing a first person perspective of warlords someday! Maybe its time to bury the franchises in general though. Emulation packs for each new platform might be a great idea... Maybe license a few modern homebrews too!

It really peeved me off to know that I HAD to go through the various near impossible achievements to unlock the REAL REASON I BOUGHT THE PACK! I simply wanted to sit on the toilet and play some swordquest right out of the box!

It's a great job on this pack -apart from the near impossible and less than motivating unlocking process... No matter what one does to revamp old classics they are facing a VERY TOUGH crowd!!!

I used the savegame that was posted (thanks a million!) :)

Oh and I LOVED warlords but HATED the controls on the PSP in general. Perhaps its time for the companies to incorporate spinners on all stock controllers both on base station game platforms as well as portables!!!

How is the emulation on the 2600 games, Noelio? I haven't tried them yet, as I'm trying to unlock them on my own. I've got 40 our of 44 awards now; I'm only missing one each on Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Battlezone, and Tempest.

I like some of the "evolved" modes, particularly Battlezone, Lunar Lander, and Warlords. "Evolved" Pong is also pretty good once you get used to the analog stick. Centipede, Millipede, and Tempest could have used more thoughtful artistic design, as some visual elements are hard to distinguish at times.

Agent X:

The emulation is really good, in terms of gameplay, though the sound is a little off on some, maybe due to the tiny speakers -I'm not sure. Yar's Revenge for example... I found the sound was good but slightly higher pitch or something with a little bit of "clipping"(might be due to the volume and the speakers starting to break up or the speakers not able to produce some frequencies at a decent volume).

For $20 its definitely worth the money either way as the 2600 games are plenty, look excellent and play just great. Poopin' while playing Atari 2600 is a new experience(actually not for me as I have done it with a gp2x hehehe). I'm not even going to say what myself and my girlfriend are planning to due while I play quadrun!!! LOL.

40 of 44? Holy cow! I managed to get only 3 or 4 achievements -even then it seemed a little excessive to play the games that made me buy it in the first place hahaha.

How is the emulation on the 2600 games, Noelio? I haven't tried them yet, as I'm trying to unlock them on my own. I've got 40 our of 44 awards now; I'm only missing one each on Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Battlezone, and Tempest.

I like some of the "evolved" modes, particularly Battlezone, Lunar Lander, and Warlords. "Evolved" Pong is also pretty good once you get used to the analog stick. Centipede, Millipede, and Tempest could have used more thoughtful artistic design, as some visual elements are hard to distinguish at times.

Edited by Noelio

Back online for the first time in a month - guess this topic got a few replies! Anyway, I've finally opened the 2600 games, and am curious as to one's ability to remap the fire button on one player games... It's a bit awkward using the left bumper button to fire. Can one switch it to the "X" button. (Like it says in the options menu?) Maybe it's not like that for all the games, but it is for Yar's and Missle Command...

Back online for the first time in a month - guess this topic got a few replies! Anyway, I've finally opened the 2600 games, and am curious as to one's ability to remap the fire button on one player games... It's a bit awkward using the left bumper button to fire. Can one switch it to the "X" button. (Like it says in the options menu?) Maybe it's not like that for all the games, but it is for Yar's and Missle Command...

Yep - just press "select" and instructions pop up to show how to toggle controls, game reset, select etc.