IGNORED

Oh yeah, and the HD format war ended today...

Danno

Start grabbing HD-DVD movies now for the collector's value. Maybe.

Heh, I don't know of any movie format that appreciated in value after the technology died.... /me hides his laserdisc collection :ponder:

I don't really care which format wins, since they're essentially the same... but seeing as how Sony has been such dicks with their previous media formats, I've been pulling more for HD-DVD. My primary interest in these discs is more for computer storage than for movies... I wish the writable media would come down in price to the point where it's cost effective.

In related news, Micheal Bay has accused Microsoft of supporting HD-DVD in an effort to force a stalemate in the HD wars so that they can kill the whole thing and move people on to digital downloads. What a disaster this has all become.

--Zero

Hooray for less competition, higher prices, and Sony's indifferent customer service!

Huzzah as well! DVD has 99% of the market, Blu-Ray has 1.5% and HD has .5%. Yippee! A winner is you!

Personally, I think both formats are losers. The masses have only recently upgraded to DVD from VHS. I don't think they're going to want to upgrade again for awhile. Plus, it will take several more years before all the old TVs croak and HDTV's are the only option. And by the time that happens, downloadable movies will be the way to go.

Hooray for less competition, higher prices, and Sony's indifferent customer service!

Huzzah as well! DVD has 99% of the market, Blu-Ray has 1.5% and HD has .5%. Yippee! A winner is you!

And a mathematician is not you, apparently! ;)

He actually might be close. I'll bet a good percentage of PS3 owners didn't buy the PS3 because of it's Blu-Ray player. These people buy PS3 games, not Blu-Ray titles. The thing is...They are still counted in that 1.5.

In my opinion if they aren't supporting the format they were forced to buy, you can take them out of the picture.

He actually might be close. I'll bet a good percentage of PS3 owners didn't buy the PS3 because of it's Blu-Ray player. These people buy PS3 games, not Blu-Ray titles. The thing is...They are still counted in that 1.5.

In my opinion if they aren't supporting the format they were forced to buy, you can take them out of the picture.

I think he meant the whole 101% thingy...... :ponder:

Hey can I PM you and talk dirty too?

Hey can I PM you and talk dirty too?

Yeah I know, but my logic is when you figure a person buys a Blu-Ray player, they buy it because they are going to support Blu-Ray and buy Blu-Ray disks. Not so with the PS3 owners. There are 7.3 million PS3's in folks home. Every one of them is counted towards that 1.5%. I'd be willing to bet less than half of that number bought the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player first and a video game console second and do not support the format as strongly as someone that just went out and bought a stand alone. Take away the millions of PS3 owners that couldn't give a shit less about Blu-Ray and the numbers probably do add up to 100%...Instead of 101% :D

You can still dirty PM me though. I kinda like it.

Yeah... That's what I meant. :ponder:

But seriously though. There will be some overlap. But 99.99999999% of the market will still be standard DVD for quite awhile. By the time Blu-Ray makes a dent downloadable content will have taken over.

Danno, the what, 15 news publications (?) that you mentioned that are reporting on this story are all referencing the original Business Week article. WHICH, even itself states that Warner is going to wait to see who can put the most discs into the hands of consumers this holiday season.

SO....in otherwords, this is a whole lot of rumor and speculation that is getting fueled as fact. Business Week wasn't pushing it as fact. But, as the internet is apt to do, it spins out of control from an otherwise reputable source.

Hell, it MIGHT even be true! But we sure don't know that right now.

I LOVE THE INTERNET!!!

There are 7.3 million PS3's in folks home. Every one of them is counted towards that 1.5%. I'd be willing to bet less than half of that number bought the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player

According to this article, 40% of them didn't even know the thing played Blu-Ray movies.

It's funny to think that us hardcore gamers all bitch about the price, while other people are willing to pay it without even knowing about such an important feature.

--Zero

According to this article, 40% of them didn't even know the thing played Blu-Ray movies.

It's funny to think that us hardcore gamers all bitch about the price, while other people are willing to pay it without even knowing about such an important feature.

--Zero

I believe that article. I've seen more moms pulling aside pimple faced Best Buy and Wal Mart employees and asking them about the PS3. These guys talk the PS3 up and in at least one case I personally witnessed the lady walked out with one. Here's the thing. I guarentee she falls into that 40% AND I also guarentee that she doesn't have or know what an HDTV is. Thats what parents do, their kid wants the latest video game system, they go out and get it. They have nary a clue about this whole HD "war".

Yup, it's going to be a really long time before old TV croak. My C=1701 is still plugging away strong after 20 years. It has no idea what hi def is.

I'm not sure how much gaming systems will affect what format wins, either. On one end of the scale, you've got PS2 kicking tail partly because of the built in DVD player. DVD had been around for eight years at that point. On the other hand, look at any other recent optical media like GD-ROM, UMD, and the Gamecube discs. We've never fought over which of those formats would hold the best movies. Heck even a GD-ROM could probably hold a full length movie, though you'd have to flip it over halfway through.

Dreamcast sales didn't exactly push GD-ROM sales into the stratosphere. PSP sales haven't pushed UMD ahead as the format leader, either. (heck, for what it's worth, Firefox doesn't recognize the term "UMD" but it does seem to know what "GD-ROM" means!)

The true winner here is probably going to be whoever can produce one of two things:

One, a player that supports both formats.

Two, a line of Dual Discs that are Blu-Ray on one side and HD-DVD on the other.

I'm just waiting for the dual format players to hit so I don't have to deal with the BS of one format being better than the other. How many people actually think any studio has filled up an HD-DVD let alone a Blue Ray one.

One thing that pisses me off about both formats is the studios changed the packaging to be cheaper so they could make even more money. More expensive format... cheaper packaging. Grrrrrrrrr....

I really don't care about this war. Started out with a 360 and hd-dvd add-on last December because the exclusives on that side were the movies I liked better. And if the format lost, I still had a 360, not a bad deal at all. This month, I've been prowling the internet for a sweet PS3 bundle, almost pulled the trigger on a couple. If blu-ray loses, I'll still have a PS3 for gaming, also not a bad deal.

Don't know why anyone cares about the format war, it all looks relatively cheap to me. My house has gone up $150k in value since I bought it, now there's a good chance it will drop $300k or more. That grabs my interest a lot more for some strange reason...

damn, i thought I was bad, but Danno, this thread takes it. You do work for Sony I'm assuming? I didn't know there were movie format fanboys. You're pushing this a little extreme don't you think? especially that I believe probably 90% of the people on this board could probably care less.

Another topic from Danno = another topic declaring Blu-Ray the winner of the format war (which nobody really cares about.) One day Danno will post a topic like this and maybe he will actually be right (if it ever goes the other way I don't think you will see Danno around here talking about it.) But for now... you shouldn't feed the animals.

In related news, Micheal Bay has accused Microsoft of supporting HD-DVD in an effort to force a stalemate in the HD wars so that they can kill the whole thing and move people on to digital downloads.

--Zero

Which would be a better and more convenient alternative to physical media anyway. Bring on the digtal downloads :)

With movies, videogames, and music I have a ton of physical media stored all over my house. I'd rather just have everything going forward be stored as zeroes and ones on a few terabytes of storage that gets backed up regularly. I'm ripping all of my DVDs to do just that (now that the 360 supports Xvid).

I'd rather just have everything going forward be stored as zeroes and ones on a few terabytes of storage that gets backed up regularly.

That's the one thing that concerns me about digital downloads. If your storage unit (TIVO, DVR, Xbox or whatever) conks out, how do you get it back? I'd hope everything would be available to download again for free on a new system. Of course, that would probably mean you'd have to be on some kind of monthly subscription service... :ponder:

How many people actually think any studio has filled up an HD-DVD let alone a Blue Ray one.

This is one thing that has always interested me. People talk about how much space there is on the disc and how many extras can be put on there. Not just in the BluRay/HDDVD debate, but also the Wide Screen/Full Screen debate. How many people actually watch the "extras" that come on DVDs? I just bought the new Harry Potter movie and got the $14 version which is just the movie. If I wanted the "extras", I could have bought the $22 version that also included a digital download of the movie.

I have seen new releases of old movies advertising 4 hours of "extras". Others are even worse. How can you have 4 or more hours of good "extras" from a 90 minute movie?

JY

There are lots of legitimate questions being asked here about the two formats, which I'd love to answer because some people seem to not really understand the differences, etc.

But since I'm apparently not allowed to answer here on any thread without moderator approval, it's pretty difficult.

But since I'm apparently not allowed to answer here on any thread without moderator approval, it's pretty difficult.

You brought that on yourself. I don't see how that's making it any more difficult except that your responses don't show up immediately. Complaining publicly about it isn't going to help your case.

..Al

I'm just waiting for the dual format players to hit so I don't have to deal with the BS of one format being better than the other.

They have been out for awhile now. A quick search brought up one made by LG:

http://www.home-technology-store.com/Audio....aspx?iorb=4764

And I'm pretty sure there are multiple companies producing units like this. My only issue is that many times the HD version of a movie doesn't look much different from the DVD version (ex: Goodfellas)

Neither format is enough of an improvement over DVD for me to even care. DVD only took off the way it did due to being such a quantum leap better than VHS. Neither of these formats come close to that kind of improvement, thus, nobody is going to notice them unless the DVD format is dumped entirely.

To me, it's the same old thing these companies have been doing for years - coming up with the "new standard" for no other reason than to make us be even more of a consumer than we already are by replacing what we're currently using. (LP - 8track - cassette - CD)