IGNORED

Oh yeah, and the HD format war ended today...

Danno

I'd rather just have everything going forward be stored as zeroes and ones on a few terabytes of storage that gets backed up regularly.

That's the one thing that concerns me about digital downloads. If your storage unit (TIVO, DVR, Xbox or whatever) conks out, how do you get it back? I'd hope everything would be available to download again for free on a new system. Of course, that would probably mean you'd have to be on some kind of monthly subscription service... :ponder:

That's why I said "backed up regularly"

Unless silly DRM is involved, the vendor shouldn't be responsible for me losing my data.

Thanks for the PM Danno.

To be honest I could care less what lame names you call me in PMs (You kiss your mommy with that mouth?) and wouldn't waste my time trying to get you banned because of it!! You've got me confused with someone that cares about your nonsense :lol:

I'd like to see what he called you privately, please forward his PM to me.

Thanks,

..Al

My opinion on this matter is it's still too early to tell as far as who's won this war. I have no intention of buying into either format until it's clear one format has one over the other. That is, production of new titles is basically stopped for HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, along with players. And even then, I'll only buy new titles in the newer format--I have no intention of replacing my existing library with exception of maybe a few (for instance, Lord of the Rings would be great in HD).

I'm glad that the masses are mostly ignoring these two formats. It shows A) that people aren't going to automatically flock to the newest format (something the studios would *love*) and B) that people are sick of stupid format wars between greedy corporations.

..Al

I'm glad that the masses are mostly ignoring these two formats. It shows A) that people aren't going to automatically flock to the newest format (something the studios would *love*) and B) that people are sick of stupid format wars between greedy corporations.

..Al

This pretty much wraps up this thread! I couldn't agree more. Wake me when HVD arrives!

My only comment to those of you so sure of HD download services replacing Blu/DVD as the mainstream home video source....

If this were going to be true - wouldn't things like Cable Pay Per View and the current On Demand video download services have already put the DVD disc Market out of business?

Of course not. Sure, it will be a viable means of obtaining content, but temperamental hard drives full of potentially erasable/crashable content will never replace good old "in your hand" collections of things like movies and music. They may compete for attention, and level the competitive playing field, but they will never completely replace it.

Of course not. Sure, it will be a viable means of obtaining content, but temperamental hard drives full of potentially erasable/crashable content will never replace good old "in your hand" collections of things like movies and music. They may compete for attention, and level the competitive playing field, but they will never completely replace it.

I do agree that movie download services are not there yet, but as more bandwidth becomes available and trickles down to end users, I think it's inevitable. The iTunes Music Store has been a big success and I think people will slowly get away from the notion that they need to have physical media for their music, games, movies, and so forth. I also like having the physical possession, but digital media also has its advantages. They both have their pros and cons, but ultimately I think physical CDs and DVDs/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray discs will be phased out. I would not be surprised if HD-DVD/Blu-Ray is the last physical medium used for delivering video content to end-users.

..Al

My only comment to those of you so sure of HD download services replacing Blu/DVD as the mainstream home video source....

If this were going to be true - wouldn't things like Cable Pay Per View and the current On Demand video download services have already put the DVD disc Market out of business?

Consider...

The DVD businesses, one of the movie industry's biggest sources of profits, is expected to post a year-over-year sales decline for the first time since the format's rise a decade ago.

DVD sales, which were flat a year ago at around $16 billion, were down over 4 percent through the end of November, and analysts expect a full-year drop of around 2 percent.

:ponder:

Technology shifts take time, but almost everywhere you look it's happening. Five years ago, who knew what Tivo was? Now it's a verb. Ten years ago everybody stored their photographs in shoe boxes. Now everybody keeps them on their computers' hard drives or on their gigantic flash drives. Five years ago you bought your re-packaged classics collections from Best Buy - now you download them to your Wii.

There will always be a market for the physical product, or at least there will be for a good long time still, but the trend is pretty obvious.

Edited by vdub_bobby

What does everyone think of the charge against Microsoft by Michael Bay where he claims MS is trying to kill both formats?

Well, first of all, who is Bay to comment on anything? Spielberg and Lucas barely have enough clout to try and comment on home video issues... why does Mr. Popcorn think anyone cares what he thinks?

That said, it certainly does sound plausible, though I have yet to see any real evidence indicating the truth of this. Honestly, I think it's clear that MS wins out if both formats die, so it's in their best interests to draw it out and ultimately doom both formats. All I know is, if it weren't for the Paramount coup, HD-DVD would probably not have been a viable option next Christmas.

Thanks for the PM Danno.

To be honest I could care less what lame names you call me in PMs (You kiss your mommy with that mouth?) and wouldn't waste my time trying to get you banned because of it!! You've got me confused with someone that cares about your nonsense :lol:

I'd like to see what he called you privately, please forward his PM to me.

Thanks,

..Al

He was just mad that I shot his thread down, but honestly, and I've posted it in other threads, these masses (They are all over the interent, check Amazon) of "X format has now officially won the war", are really, truely, without a doubt, no questioned asked, a bunch of BS. The PM wasn't worth saving.

I do think downloadable content will replace the disks eventually (Not just movies either) and I see it opening new avenues of business for people. All you need is a place to store files. Doesn't even have to be onsite. The fact that the data could be damaged or lost doesn't matter. Log into your account and re-download the content. In the future off site data dumps might be as common as an email account. Once bandwidth/speed is a non-issue and a decent way to combat piracy/fraud is determined I think people will open up to not having a physical disk in their grubby hand. I get no joy looking at rows of DVD boxes on my shelf. I get nothing out of cleaning them or hell just finding the disk sometimes. I for one would be more than happy to free up the space my movie collection takes up. Maybe I'm the only one, but I doubt it.

It's a good sign for those of us who own a Blu-Ray player, I don't think anyone can declare the HD wars over yet. The sad truth is only a very small portion of the population even cares. The true winner is still plain old DVD...

For what it's worth, I own only 3 Blu-Ray movies and never noticed a huge difference on my 1080i TV...

Tempest

Uh, this guy is lying. Warner Home Video has officially denounced this bogus rumor. A rumor that keeps getting brought back up by zealous bluray fanboys.

This thread should be locked as it was simply a desperate plea for attention and nothing about the original post or headline is correct.

Edited by Gunstarhero

What does everyone think of the charge against Microsoft by Michael Bay where he claims MS is trying to kill both formats?

Bay is misinformed and obviously has PS3 owning brats whispering these conspiracies in his ear. I checked out the Micheal Bay forums once (he actually has his own BBS) and it's basically a bunch of angsty kids that were complaining that they couldn't get Transformers on their poor little PS3 machines. Bay thought this was unfair and has been acting like an ass to represent these brats on his forum. Lame.

It's obviously ludicrous. Microsoft has alot invested in the HD DVD format, they've supplied the advanced video codec for it, released the HD DVD add-on for the 360, and just recently released the HD DVD emulator to both ease and speed development (lowering costs) of HD DVD special features. They plan to make monehy on the format, to think they are trying to kill either of them off is just stupidity. They also license the VC-1 codec for BD movies as well, so they are making cash on that format too.

This thread is so stupid btw. Danno acts like his life depends on the BD format winning. He should be banned from posting threads about it in the future, he's so ill informed about the entire format war, everytime he posts a thread its debunked and wrong. In this case old news that has been officially denied by WB themselves earlier this week and he's still posting it as if its true. Fucking moron. But I can also see why he did it, to take advantage of the fact that AA members are not up to date on all latest news and rumors of this little format tussle. It worked on a couple people like Tempest before others stepped in and posted the WB debunking. Danno you are an asshole for taking advantage of people here like that, seriously. You'd sell people a car with sawdust in the transmission wouldn't you?

Although I'm interested in the HD war, I'd say that Atari Age is on the bottom tier of places I'd go to try and recruit for high def. If I was lame enough to do that in the first place, right Danno?

Edited by Gunstarhero

This thread is so stupid btw. Danno acts like his life depends on the BD format winning. He should be banned from posting threads about it in the future, he's so ill informed about the entire format war, everytime he posts a thread its debunked and wrong. In this case old news that has been officially denied by WB themselves earlier this week and he's still posting it as if its true. Fucking moron. But I can also see why he did it, to take advantage of the fact that AA members are not up to date on all latest news and rumors of this little format tussle. It worked on a couple people like Tempest before others stepped in and posted the WB debunking. Danno you are an asshole for taking advantage of people here like that, seriously. You'd sell people a car with sawdust in the transmission wouldn't you?

Although I'm interested in the HD war, I'd say that Atari Age is on the bottom tier of places I'd go to try and recruit for high def. If I was lame enough to do that in the first place, right Danno?

You should have stopped while you were ahead. It was unnecessary for you to start attacking Danno and calling him names like, "Fucking moron" and "asshole". If you want to debunk what he's posted, more power to you, but you did not need to resort to this level. Please don't do it again.

Thanks,

..Al

Funniest part of this nonsensical reply...he's claiming I "fooled" people.

Looks like you got fooled, Gunstar. No wonder you're so upset, You're prominently featuring a shit-ton of HD-duds in your collection.

Tell you what - lest put a wager on it. I Say Warner OFFICIALLY announces Blu-Ray Exclusivity at CES in January. If they do - you have to put this giant angry screed above in your signature, complete with a link to Warner's Press Release once it's available online, as proof of how wrong you were.

If they don't - I'll stop posting here forever.

Deal?

2007dvdcollection1.jpg

At the rate you're going, Danno, I think the admins are going to keep that promise for you.

I know.

4 or 5 people come into this thread and insult me directly, and I'm not allowed to respond in kind.

Tell you what - lest put a wager on it. I Say Warner OFFICIALLY announces Blu-Ray Exclusivity at CES in January. If they do - you have to put this giant angry screed above in your signature, complete with a link to Warner's Press Release once it's available online, as proof of how wrong you were.

You might want to pick another prize, as he's certainly not going to be allowed to have four paragraphs of text in his signature.

..Al

At the rate you're going, Danno, I think the admins are going to keep that promise for you.

I know.

4 or 5 people come into this thread and insult me directly, and I'm not allowed to respond in kind.

I just read through this thread and counted 3, so you are exaggerating, just as you seem to enjoy doing with your HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray facts. And just because someone insulted you doesn't mean you have to automatically insult them back, trying taking the higher ground. I'm closing this thread, please do not start another and please stay out of any HD-DVD/Blu-Ray threads in the future. While I was looking through some of your earlier posts on this subject in other threads I found these gems,

those are the facts. they are absolute, and you can feel free to stick them up your ass, or whatever other oriface you prefer.
You can't afford a PS3? Get a better job.
You're a fucking crybaby.

And you're complaining about people insulting you? :roll:

..Al