IGNORED

Playstation 2 - the game to get?

Paul Humbug

Hi fellows,

after being on my wish list now for the past 7 years, I ponder the thought of getting one of the new PS2 designs with built-in A/C once they become available in January 2008 or so.

I´m not hoping for a reduced price yet under 100 bucks, but at least I want to get one as long as there are used games available in my local game stores.

So, if you had only 1 game to mention, what is the best reason to get a PS2?

Im open to all genres, so I´m looking forward for all suggestions.

One title already on my list is GT 4. Anything better than that in racing for the PS2?

Thanks and happy X-Mas!

GT3 was the SOLE reason I bought my PS2.... bought the combo the day GT3 came out :) But it looks like you already got that covered.

Silent Hill 2 was a blast back in the day... makes me still realize I'm a panzy. So I'd say that's my 'Sole game to get' after GT4 :)

I had a bit of fun with SSX and Final Fantasy X.... but mainly it was for the GT series and Silent Hill stuff...

Oh and I heard ICO was a must get, haven't really gotten into it yet.

And yeah, I'm looking into getting a Slim, just for the sole fact that it's said to be less noisy than that fatty.

Edited by Mike 01Hawk

There is so much out there for the PS2, it's hard to think of one game to buy the system for. It's not one of those consoles "coughjaguarcough" whose only purpose is to play one or two games.

I would start with GT3, I liked it better than GT4, but that's just my opinion. Let's see, there's ICO, Shadow of the Colosus, Rachet & Crank (all of them), JRPG's (best selection last gen), God of War (IMO 1st is best). I could on and on. :D

Midway Arcade Treasures 1 if you had ANY interest in mid-'80s arcade games.

Activision Anthology strongly seconded, w/ NAMCO 50th Anniv. in 3rd.

I could prob. live on these 3 discs if I had to.

Edited by RJ

Thanks for feedback so far. I know its hard to mention only 1 game when there are hundreds or thousands. But I doubt I will have time to play them all. So, I wanna stick with a couple of games for the PS2. The overkill in games available isn´t sometimes easy to cope with.

But I´ve extended my list:

GT4

Call of Duty 2-3

Medal of Honor

maybe the Grand Theft Auto Triology

Is Test Drive Unlimited good enough on PS2? I read some decent reviews but I wonder if they (Atari) still support the MMO server?

Another vote for Katamari. I have also been enjoying FF.

Thanks for feedback so far. I know its hard to mention only 1 game when there are hundreds or thousands. But I doubt I will have time to play them all. So, I wanna stick with a couple of games for the PS2. The overkill in games available isn´t sometimes easy to cope with.

GT4

Call of Duty 2-3

Medal of Honor

Is Test Drive Unlimited good enough on PS2? I read some decent reviews but I wonder if they (Atari) still support the MMO server?

I'd go with GT3 instead of the utter crap fourth installment into the series. GT3 had just the right balance of realism and fun, but Polyphony Digital really went off the deep end with GT4. I mean, heck, who's gonna sit there for 24 hours playing a video game? Not me, I got a wife and a life...

Final Fantasy 10 is a given if you like RPGs. Ditto for .hack.

Bear in mind that Grand Theft Auto started on the PS1. Dunno how the PS2 port measures up to my experience, but GTA: Liberty City Stories was a complete blast on the PSP.

I'm told Kessen is pretty good, and what I've seen of it looked interesting.

I'd go with GT3 instead of the utter crap fourth installment into the series. GT3 had just the right balance of realism and fun, but Polyphony Digital really went off the deep end with GT4. I mean, heck, who's gonna sit there for 24 hours playing a video game? Not me, I got a wife and a life...

You think it's that bad? I've never really noticed any difference between the two games except for the 4th having way more cars, and the graphics seem better too.

Long races are a pain, but you can do them on B-Spec (I think that's what it is, it's when the computer drives the car instead) and speed it up.

Paul Humbug wrote:

GT4

Call of Duty 2-3

Medal of Honor

That's funny- I wouldnt consider any of those must-haves. But that's just me, & you're you. GT4 maybe, although I hated it.

Edited by RJ

You think it's that bad? I've never really noticed any difference between the two games except for the 4th having way more cars, and the graphics seem better too.

Long races are a pain, but you can do them on B-Spec (I think that's what it is, it's when the computer drives the car instead) and speed it up.

Well, GT4 is fun, but what kills it are the events you have to do. You may not have seen DM34 on the NTSC version. You guys get several more seconds on that than we do over here. I have attempted it, but with the idea in mind that I am not likely to pass it quite yet.

The rally events are a pain in harder stages. The computer will keep hitting you with the five second penalties in some cases, which wind up costing you a rally event over and over.

In the driving missions, your racing line has to be absolutely perfect. On top of that, you don't know which mods have been added to the car or exactly how it was adjusted, so you can't practice with your own car or in the arcade mode.

GT4 does not handle the Driving Force as reliably as GT3 did. The Driving Force wheel is not a sturdy controller as it is, and I've had one of mine break down twice. GT3 picks right back up after a failure in the wheel, whereas GT4 does not. I fixed the wheel, but I have not addressed the braking issue in GT3. I learned to drive with it instead.

B-Spec mode does add more realism. It lets you take shifts with your backup driver so that you can sleep eight hours while he/she (or it) is driving. After that, you come back to your race. You can keep the race going while you answer the phone or use the restroom. Still, though, GT3 balances that with shorter enduros and of course both games have a pause feature.

I think it's possible to have too much of a good thing, and that's what happened to GT4. Making the game realistic down to the last detail will attract racing fans for sure, but it will lose the average gamer.

Oh, and as for realism, well, I doubt that, too. I have a Ford truck that's very similar to the one in GT4. They handle nothing alike--in fact, the handling couldn't be much more different that it already is. I don't expect them to handle identical, but I do anticipate some similarities. There are none at all.