IGNORED

Retro Gaming Night

Fletch

I'm hosting a retro gaming night in January and need some suggestions. I have several Atari 8-bits, a 2600, a Flashback 2, an ST, a Sega Genesis and some old Macs. I can have about 10 stations set up at one time. The guests are not hard core gamers, just people in their late 30's and their various offspring.

The cartridge based systems and the Flashback 2 are simple because the game selection is limited to what I have. However, the 8-bits and the ST have so may choices I'm not really sure what to focus on.

I'm leaning toward having the Atari 8-bits running the arcade classics. Pacman, Ms. Pacman, Donkey Kong, Galaxian and such. Any other suggestions for the 8-bits? I have many disk drives and an AtariMax 1 MB cart so I have lots of options for storage.

The ST has me a bit baffled. I really don't have any idea what I should load up. Dragons Lair? Dungeon Master? Sierra Adventure Games? I could really use a suggestion for that.

The old Macs, beyond popular belief, have a good selection of games. I'm thinking maybe Prince of Persia might be a good one to start with.

I also will have a Mame machine set up, But that is easy to change out the titles.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Fletch

I had thought of Gauntlet, but sadly my original disk seems to be damaged. I never had Gauntlet II. I just checked B&C and Best and neither seem to have it for sale.

No US based ebay copies available either. Any ideas?

The ST has me a bit baffled. I really don't have any idea what I should load up.

4 player Gauntlet II. :cool:

Nice! Lots of 4-player Warlords, too! Some Shufflepuck Cafe on the Mac...

I would love to host something like this someday.

The ST has me a bit baffled. I really don't have any idea what I should load up.

4 player Gauntlet II. :cool:

Just looked at Time Bandits this morning. That was fun. I had to blow some dust off the disk, but she still works!

Thanks for the suggestion.

A good ST party game would be Time Bandits, remember that one!?

That sounds like a GREAT idea for a party. Would love to see some pics of it!

I tried to write the image using MAKEDISK on a PC and DUST on the Mac. MAKEDISK says its successful, but the ST wont boot it. Dusk on the Mac writes the disk, but when I boot the ST it loads a virus free splash screen then locks up.

Any suggestions?

Fletch

Got a PC with an internal floppy, and a 720K disk? :)

Gauntlet_II.zip

I tried to write the image using MAKEDISK on a PC and DUST on the Mac. MAKEDISK says its successful, but the ST wont boot it. Dusk on the Mac writes the disk, but when I boot the ST it loads a virus free splash screen then locks up.

Any suggestions?

Fletch

Got a PC with an internal floppy, and a 720K disk? :)

Gauntlet_II.zip

Check the TOS version of the ST. Version 1.04 (1.4 Rainbow TOS) was the first TOS to be reliable with disks created on a PC. The best/most reliable way to do it is to format the floppy on the ST first. Then use the PC utility to copy the files from the disk image to the floppy instead of writing the floppy image. There are some good PC utilities for managing ST floppy images.

Floppy Image

Edited by Guitarman

Build yourself a MultiJoy or ask Mega-Hz if he still produces these. I played Multris at Forever 7 and we had great fun. Check the other games, too. If it's not enough you can have the MultiLink interface and play some fine games on it, Speed Up!! Gold Edition being probably the best one.

I did see the Multijoy8 schematic and didn't understand it. Any more clear version available?

The Multijoy16 seems to be an unreleased prototipe, didn't found the full schematics in a prpper way. I just found this: http://mega-hz.no-ip.com/ATARI/ATARI%208Bi...ultijoy16-2.jpg

Multilink/Gamelink-2 not has schematics available :(

It's just me or there are quite interesting stuff for a8 that not has the schematics available to the public? :(

I did see the Multijoy8 schematic and didn't understand it. Any more clear version available?

Not sure if it can get any clearer than that. What exactly do you not understand?

The Multijoy16 seems to be an unreleased prototipe, didn't found the full schematics in a prpper way. I just found this: http://mega-hz.no-ip.com/ATARI/ATARI%208Bi...ultijoy16-2.jpg

That's the PCB layout. Look here, there's a bit more.

I don't think it's a prototype. I would've been told when I bought mine. But a new version might be being worked on, who knows.

You may perhaps think it's a prototype because it's been slightly modified... :)

Multilink/Gamelink-2 not has schematics available :(

Here's the Polish MultiLink page which is I believe the exact translation of the attached file. GAMLINK2.DOC

It's just me or there are quite interesting stuff for a8 that not has the schematics available to the public? :(

I'd rather say there are still many devices in development (not all of which are documented) and some others may have a decent description but not necessarily in English.

Edited by pepax

They are real, I bought one from MegaHz very recently :D

Okay, but how to buy stuff from them? I don't understand Deutsch! :P

send him a PM or e-mail in English :)

• 1 month later...

I held my retro gaming party last night and it was great fun. It was wonderful seeing my friends reliving their childhoods and great to see young kids enjoying the classics.

We had high score competitions for Ms. Pacman, Frogger, Donkey Kong, Galaxian, and Robotron on the Atari 8-bits as well as Bowling on the Wii. The kids really enjoyed trying to beat the grown ups and the grown up seemed determined to hold onto long forgotten skills.

Marcin Zukowski of Yoomp! fame provided me with a pre-release NTSC version of the award winning game for the party. Everyone was very impressed with Yoomp! and I felt very honored that Marcin allowed me the special honor.

A few guests even dressed up in full 80's attire. It was quite funny.

Here are the pictures : http://web.mac.com/pfletch/iWeb/Site/Photos.html

Thanks,

Fletch

Edited by Fletch

Marcin Majchrzak of Yoomp! fame provided me with a pre-release NTSC version of the award winning game for the party. Everyone was very impressed with Yoomp! and I felt very honored that Marcin allowed me the special honor.

Who (the hell) is Marcin Majchrzak? :x