IGNORED

Anyone dream about A8's?

Ross PK

I do on the rare occasion. Usually it'll be about finding loads of different XL versions of the A8, they're usually all ones which don't exist. They all still have the XL styling, but they're in different sizes and shapes, and obviously they were different XL models.

Last night I had a dream about being in an eletrical store, which had A8 accesories and games in there. I was thinking of buying a boxed 1010 for £8.00 because it's what I used to have and it matches the XL better than the XC12 that I have.

There were also other things, like speciality 'tape rewinders' which were supposed to be better for your tapes when you rewouned them, then there was a small tape machine which had 'super fast tape loading' written on it or something, they were all in the XL styling as well of course.

There was also an XE system and monitor that was selling for £1500 because it looked like brand new. Apparantly XE hardware which wasn't nicotine stained was really rare.

Have any of you people had any A8 dreams?

Edited by Ross PK

No A8 dreams (I used to drool over the A8's on display at Sears. They had working floor displays. My brothers and I would be playing with the Atari's, and typing insulting messages to each other, while my parents shopped around the store. This went on for some time before the department salesman would finally shew us away.), but I must admit that I've had dreams of discovering huge caches of Mattel Aquarius computer items and prototypes. This mostly happened around the time when I rediscovered the machine and began building my collection. Still, after a night of firing up the old blue keyed bastard before bed, it'll occasionally show up in a dream, even if just for a cameo appearance.

I recall now that my parents weren't willing to spend hundreds on a nice Atari, when they could buy me a complete Aquarius bundle with accessories and games on close out for $80.00. No kidding. They left the price tag on the box, even though it was a Christmas present. I guess even they were a bit suspicious of the low price for so much hardware. I was so desparate for a computer, that I didn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

This thread also made me remember my afflicition during the Tetris craze. Those incessant blocks kept showing up in my dreams a lot, too. I would close my eyes and see the shapes.

My old abandoned Aquarius site

Sometimes when I am working late on a mod or trying to get something to work I can't "turn my brain off" and I go to sleep and I dream that I am still working on the project or still trying to get it to work.

And I have never woken up with the right answers. Apparently my subconscious is dumber than my "awake" brain

:P

Ahhhhh... You have visited the "reef store"!

Search google groups for "reef store dream" and read the plethora of posts from other astral body customers. The reef store does not discriminate by race, creed, brand, bit word length nor by Bushnell / Tramiel / Warner dynasties.

While ours might not be a reef store, its still a store or cache of unofficial goods in a dimension where all that is, was,will ever or never be simultaneously IS for all retronerds. Its all things to all people. A perfect find, the motherload, the holy grail of retrogoodie hauls. Nirvana of the mundane bits and yesterday bytes! I have seen the reef store my friend and was close to feeling worthy of its abundance but I was not pure enough to bring goods across the threshold into our dimension. :)

I've been having the nonexistent Atari 8-bit product dreams since the late 80's really. One in particular that entailed a large typewriter shop run by a couple old coots in a traditional mom and pop store type affair but they were strangely ignorant and thought all the Atari computers were near worthless typewriters(some would argue that was the case). I remember there was the 650xl, 850xl, 1250xl and so on. These "half step" models would include built to order customizations from the factory. You could "tick off" certain features on the order form starting with a base model such as 600xl, add a modem option, speech synth, aui jacks, midi etc and therefore the model was badged a 650xl and I had the mother of all selections in my arms... My 650 had it all including a massive hard drive and looked like an XE colored 1450 but the disk holder / empty slot side included the hard drive. The thing sounded like a laundromat from the attached apartment next door when working. Oh the beauty, the ear and eye candy and, finally, the realization when I woke that I should call that psychiatrist I met at the club as this is just not normal! :P

I think its just a product of our wonderment 20 years ago at the almost realistic possibilities that were just around the corner from the technoworld and the variety of models / peripherals under the Atari banner that seemed to reeducate us each time we would open an atari explorer, compute or antic magazine or the christmas wishbook from sears. An innocent wonderment and unconditional optimism of what lies just around the corner. I know this is a bit of a stretch from the dream but our need to feel that sense of innocent discovery/wonderment manifests in dreamland in a way we understand it best in modern times as a mega haul from the thrift shop etc.

I'm finding a bit of that in real modern times in the apple brand. I'm sooooo excited about them diving in DEEP in the music creation side of things especially, which was the main thing that cemented atari to my heart in my childhood. Though if a new iteration of the 8bit and/or 16-32 bits came out I would be the first in line.

Nothing rocks like Ataris and boobs!

Damnit! I honestly had a dream about it all last night too! Seems talking about dreaming of it or late night skimming of the AtariAge forums is a trigger!

Last night it was an old childhood friend's house... (Que harp music... Soften lens & defocus, Fade! *Start dream sequence*)

It was being renovated for sale as his one remaining parent had moved out, abandoned the house and its contents for clean up, renos and subsequent sale.

There were plastic containers strewn about the property and I figured that I would take a peek and see if there was anything of interest before it went to the land fill. BANG!

A 365XE!!!

It was a prototype A8 that Atari was secretly getting him to test as he was (as a young person)a brilliant child prodigy as well as a brilliant musician. It was basically a 360k machine in a 130XE style case but as deep as the falcon case while the same width. The model number plate was crude and held on with packing tape but it was an official model -in development. In the container there were also a few 600's and a crapload of keys that popped off a broken 130.

(End dream sequence)

I've pegged it down to my recent acquisitions of 600xl's, a Falcon (whoa betty!) and my current need for a 130XE or just a mainboard and recent read of a 1400xl thread. :)

Ahhhhh... You have visited the "reef store"!

Search google groups for "reef store dream" and read the plethora of posts from other astral body customers. The reef store does not discriminate by race, creed, brand, bit word length nor by Bushnell / Tramiel / Warner dynasties.

While ours might not be a reef store, its still a store or cache of unofficial goods in a dimension where all that is, was,will ever or never be simultaneously IS for all retronerds. Its all things to all people. A perfect find, the motherload, the holy grail of retrogoodie hauls. Nirvana of the mundane bits and yesterday bytes! I have seen the reef store my friend and was close to feeling worthy of its abundance but I was not pure enough to bring goods across the threshold into our dimension. :)

I've been having the nonexistent Atari 8-bit product dreams since the late 80's really. One in particular that entailed a large typewriter shop run by a couple old coots in a traditional mom and pop store type affair but they were strangely ignorant and thought all the Atari computers were near worthless typewriters(some would argue that was the case). I remember there was the 650xl, 850xl, 1250xl and so on. These "half step" models would include built to order customizations from the factory. You could "tick off" certain features on the order form starting with a base model such as 600xl, add a modem option, speech synth, aui jacks, midi etc and therefore the model was badged a 650xl and I had the mother of all selections in my arms... My 650 had it all including a massive hard drive and looked like an XE colored 1450 but the disk holder / empty slot side included the hard drive. The thing sounded like a laundromat from the attached apartment next door when working. Oh the beauty, the ear and eye candy and, finally, the realization when I woke that I should call that psychiatrist I met at the club as this is just not normal! :P

I think its just a product of our wonderment 20 years ago at the almost realistic possibilities that were just around the corner from the technoworld and the variety of models / peripherals under the Atari banner that seemed to reeducate us each time we would open an atari explorer, compute or antic magazine or the christmas wishbook from sears. An innocent wonderment and unconditional optimism of what lies just around the corner. I know this is a bit of a stretch from the dream but our need to feel that sense of innocent discovery/wonderment manifests in dreamland in a way we understand it best in modern times as a mega haul from the thrift shop etc.

I'm finding a bit of that in real modern times in the apple brand. I'm sooooo excited about them diving in DEEP in the music creation side of things especially, which was the main thing that cemented atari to my heart in my childhood. Though if a new iteration of the 8bit and/or 16-32 bits came out I would be the first in line.

Nothing rocks like Ataris and boobs!

Plenty of Atari dreams still kicking around in my mind. I've had numerous dreams of finding atari's curbside in the trash, or at hamfests or hidden away in stores, sometimes just 800XL's, other times 1400XL/1450XLD's. I also still dream of finding the case of disks that my dad mistakenly threw away, that had everything I ever programmed on the atari :( Waking up is the worst, as I'm stuck asking myself why can't it be real, or why couldn't I have had another 20 minutes in dreamland?

I've owned around 300 computers (still have 100+), but none of them get as much dreamtime as the 8-Bit Atari's :)

I do on the rare occasion. Usually it'll be about finding loads of different XL versions of the A8, they're usually all ones which don't exist. They all still have the XL styling, but they're in different sizes and shapes, and obviously they were different XL models.

Last night I had a dream about being in an eletrical store, which had A8 accesories and games in there. I was thinking of buying a boxed 1010 for £8.00 because it's what I used to have and it matches the XL better than the XC12 that I have.

There were also other things, like speciality 'tape rewinders' which were supposed to be better for your tapes when you rewouned them, then there was a small tape machine which had 'super fast tape loading' written on it or something, they were all in the XL styling as well of course.

There was also an XE system and monitor that was selling for £1500 because it looked like brand new. Apparantly XE hardware which wasn't nicotine stained was really rare.

Have any of you people had any A8 dreams?

This is weird- I too have similar dreams. It kinda funny, as in the dream its like all the XL and XE stuff is for sale in the shop but hidden away. I can see it on the shelf and I see some Atari Hardware I don't know of. It seems too good to be true - almost like an Aladdin's cave. The reason I remember it is that I get all excited in the dream and then I wake-up and go "Damn it! Back to modern day greyness". I think the dream is really a retro buzz for the excitement I would feel as a child in one of these shops when at Christmas Mum and Dad would take me shopping.

Sometimes when I am working late on a mod or trying to get something to work I can't "turn my brain off" and I go to sleep and I dream that I am still working on the project or still trying to get it to work.

And I have never woken up with the right answers. Apparently my subconscious is dumber than my "awake" brain

:P

I've done that many times too. For me it's just the opposite though, everything works perfectly subconsciously, and then when I wake up, everything goes back to hell again and I can't recall my subconscious solutions - I guess they didn't really exist anyway...right?

:D