IGNORED

2600 idea - Jack and the Beanstalk

atari2600land

Hi Chris

Plays very well.One of the best BATARI BASIC games ever.But i think,there is a GIANT in the tale of jack.

How about,letting him appear???????Maybe in the last level????If you are too slow,the giants feet could hit you............

greetings Walter

The Giant could be on one side of the screen and can move up and down. Since Jack has a slingshot in the story maybe have a pellet appear behind the Giant and Jack must pass the Giant to get the ammo and then run in front of the Giant and shoot him with the pellet. Have the Giant appear in a central room of the Castle and once Jack fights and stuns the Giant he must search the castle for the goose and the harp (They don't appear until after the boss fight).

Animated game ending is password #66.

Wow! It's 32k now, will AA still be able to release it on cart at that size?

Wp

Yes, as long as it's a normal F4 (32K) bankswitched game.

Cool. I want Beanstalk to be as good as possible and Chris is doing a great job but I want it to be where I can buy a copy of it when it is ready also. Love the new ending by the way.

Wp

OK, I will. Where should the giant level be?

Hi Chris

There is no need of an extra giant level,but it would be good,if you could see the giant.Maybe let him appear and catch the player,if the time runs out in level 3.

Or,if you want to make an extra level;how about a level,like in Alien Greed2?Instead of the big ET,take a giant.

greetings Walter

OK, I will. Where should the giant level be?

Hi Chris

There is no need of an extra giant level,but it would be good,if you could see the giant.Maybe let him appear and catch the player,if the time runs out in level 3.

Yeah , if time runs out in level 3 you could have "FEE FI FO FUM!" and then "SQUISH" and game over :)

Wp

I just played the latest version and i have to say the game is coming along nicely!

I like the added timer and being able to score points, gives the game a better replay value. The difficulty is also better now, IMO the game isn't too easy anymore.

I would appreciate an extra level where you have to fight the giant! This is an important part of the story and therefor belongs in the game IMO.

And maybe a little victory tune in the ending?

Keep up the good work!

I would appreciate an extra level where you have to fight the giant! This is an important part of the story and therefor belongs in the game IMO.

I dunno.. the way I remember it, Jack never "fights" the Giant. He escapes him, then kills him by chopping down the beanstalk while the Giant is still climbing down it. Maybe what's needed is an inverted version of Level Two, where Jack is climbing down, and with the Giant appearing above him if the player takes more than a couple of seconds to complete a screen.

Just my $0.02,

Jarod

EDT:

Actually, just to add another gameplay element it might be fun to place an axe at the final screen of such a "chase" level, drawn with the ball and missile. Jack needs to grab it, then mash the button to chop down the stalk before the giant finishes his descent and eats him. Different, more intense music here might be also great actually, and help create some climactic drama!

Edited by jrok

I dunno.. the way I remember it, Jack never "fights" the Giant. He escapes him, then kills him by chopping down the beanstalk while the Giant is still climbing down it. Maybe what's needed is an inverted version of Level Two, where Jack is climbing down, and with the Giant appearing above him if the player takes more than a couple of seconds to complete a screen.

Just my $0.02,

Jarod

Yep, you're right, Jack doesn't fight the Giant in the Story. I only remembered that the Giant got killed...

I guess i'm getting old... :ponder:

But your idea is really great, level 4 is already an inverted version of level 2 and IMO it would be nice if the giant could be put in there.

Jack is actually going to shoot the giant. My idea is this:

Since I don't have any missiles to work with, player0 is going to have to flicker between the bullet and the feet. Jack must shoot the giant's feet 6 times before he dies and you get a reward of 300 points. The first three shots, the giant's feet will be going up and down at the speed they're going now, and the next three shots, they'll go up and down faster.

I thought I knew how to register a hit in this setup. Turns out I'm wrong. So if anyone can help me figure out how, that'd be great. The giant fighting code is in bank 5. I made a little progress, but I really need to figure out how to register a hit to the giant's feet (and not the legs).

jack40.bas.bin

jack40.bas

I don't know bataribasic. But when 2 sprites collide on 2600, a register is set. However, if you are flickering the same player to be alternately a bullet and giant legs/feet, how could the same sprite (Player) ever collide with itself?

If this is the method you are using, you'll have to program a "box". If the bullet resides within X positions of the feet, and within Y positions of the feet, then set the collision true.

Edited by Cafeman

Here is a quick explanation on how that would work:

if you are flickering two player0 sprites, it would be something like:

(a = 1 is the feet, a =2 is the bullet)

a = a + 1

if a = 1 then player0x = g : player0y = h : aux2 = g + 8 (8 or 16 or 32, depending on NUSIZ setting) : aux6 = h + 10 (aux6 = height of feet sprite)

if a = 2 then player0x = i : player0y = j : a = 0

if i > g && i < aux2 && j > h && j < aux6 then THERE WAS A COLLISION

This is a bunch of crap though and is a weird way of going about things. When I use a player sprite for weapon fire, I virtually always flicker the sprite that is using the weapon. So in my opinion, you should just flicker Jack when a weapon is fired. It's not the end of the world, and a lot cleaner.

Edited by MausGames

Jack is cancelled.

If that's true, that's a shame. I thought this was coming along quite well! I hope its not some personal problem, but if it's the scanline count you're concerned about, you might consider just reducing the playfield resolution by one line.. I know that did the trick for me when my timing was off.

Cheers,

Jarod.