IGNORED

Missadventure Revised (Adventure hack)

accousticguitar

• 1 month later...
I myself have always liked text label games :)

If it is a pic label I think it would be cool to have Rhindle on the label..

If anyone tries a manual to the game it could start out like:

"The Golden Chalice has been safely returned to the castle but an even bigger adventure awaits in another kingdom where a princess has gone missing. The magic sword awaits you..."

Or something along those lines.

Wp

How do you win the game? I take the princess to the green castle but there is no green key.

• 2 weeks later...
Where is the red castle? Is there a dot for passing through the bars in is this game?

The red castle is somewhere inside the cave. The cave is in the forest. It kind of looks like a green mound with a portcullis and it has trees beside it. No, there is no dot for passing through bars in this game.

Where is the red castle? Is there a dot for passing through the bars in is this game?

The red castle is somewhere inside the cave. The cave is in the forest. It kind of looks like a green mound with a portcullis and it has trees beside it. No, there is no dot for passing through bars in this game.

found it. Do you need the chalice for anything? I suspect there is an easter egg in one of the rooms blocked by the bars.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

This is long over due....I have been playing Missadventure for a good year now and wanted to thank everyone who participated in the making of this game!

I 1st got Adventure in 1982 at the age of 7. I am another one who got "bored" with it and looked all over for hidden rooms with the bridge. All games had to be won with all objects and dragons in the yellow castle, etc. I used to lay in bed, trying to fall asleep as a kid and think about a bigger kingdom, more castles etc, and open areas to run from the dragons rather than being cornered in a maze. I started finding hacked versions on here a few years back. It was awesome to play some of the different versions and have new things to do with the game. I found this game and it is everything I ever imagined. I have played it hundreds of times. I am now to the point I know which level 3 game I'm playing by a certain object's starting place. Was a great challenge first starting and not knowing the lay out, now with the short-cuts and all, I can win it rather quickly.

I have created 5 cool hacks using "create your own adventure", just wish there was more space and control to use my ideas.

Thanks again everybody! I cannot wait for "Rhindle's Revenge"!!!

Yorgle did a great job on the kingdom layout. So, how many different variations do you think there are in game 3?
How many random setups? Of the 64 of 256 seed values I checked in the original game (i.e. freezing the game start in Stella and looking at ram): 56 were unique, 4 (also unique) were unwinnable, and 4 were repeats of those setups. I never checked the remaining 192 seeds...but if that pattern holds, it would mean 224 random setups - which pretty much matches Warren's figure of 1:17 unwinnable.

Take the moving enemies out of the argument, and it's about a third as much.

The hack alters random selection, so I couldn't guess ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yorgle did a great job on the kingdom layout. So, how many different variations do you think there are in game 3?

I put some development tools in post #1 for anyone who wants to hack the original game into a new kingdom.

I never tried counting. I still think I am finding a new game 3 variation every once in a while or one that doesn't come up enough that I remember. But for the most part once I see an object's placement towards the game start, I know where some of the other objects are, princess location, etc. Of coarse the bat can mess that all up pretty quickly. There are definitely a lot of variations. I haven't got bored playing that's for sure. I just think the randomization tends to repeat soon sometimes. Never tried to play near as many as 75 back to back to see if I got a new game each time. Sounds like fun though!

I will check those tools out to see if I may be able to do something with them. Really liked creating the ones with "Create your own Adventure", was easy, just wished it was a bigger kingdom. Thanks.

I forgot to mention that you need to use DASM to assemble the text file. I added that info to the first post. The kingdom can be made larger without too much trouble. The main code necessary is below. You simply add more rooms into the matrix. Check out the custom rooms that Nukey added at the end. To show up in the game the room connections need to be changed to something other than $00. They need to be changed to whatever room you want them connected to. Then, in the second code example you can change what the room looks like. (That's where Adventure Builder comes in handy.) You can add in as many rooms as you want up to 128 rooms.

;Room Data
;Offset 0 : Low byte foom graphics data.
;Offset 1 : High byte room graphics data
;Offset 2 : Color...if $08, invisible surround present...if an odd number, room is to Flash

;Offset 3 : Bits 5-0 : Playfield Control
;          Bit 0 (+$01): True if room data to be displayed reverse (R), false if mirrored (M)
;          Bit 2 (+$04): True if room is "dark"
;          Bit 5 (+$20): All rooms
;          Bit 6 (+$40): True if right thin wall wanted.
;          Bit 7 (+$80): True if left thin wall wanted.

;Offset 4 : Room Above
;Offset 5 : Room Right
;Offset 6 : Room Down
;Offset 7 : Room Left
;all room numbers must be listed consecutively
RoomDataTable:
      .byte <Room00,>Room00,$66,$21,$00,$00,$00,$00                ;Number room
      .byte <Room01,>Room01,$D8,$A1,$08,$02,RD1-RD0,$03            ;Below blue maze
      .byte <Room02,>Room02,$C8,$21,$11,$03,RD2-RD0,$01            ;Below Yellow Castle
      .byte <Room03,>Room03,$E8,$61,$06,$01,RD3-RD0,$02            ;Above the catacombs
      .byte <Room04,>Room04,$86,$21,$10,$05,$07,$06                ;Blue maze,below black cast
      .byte <Room05,>Room05,$86,$21,$1D,$06,$08,$04                ;Blue maze,above entry
      .byte <Room06,>Room06,$86,$21,$07,$04,$03,$05                ;Blue maze bottom
      .byte <Room07,>Room07,$86,$21,$04,$08,$06,$08                ;Blue maze center
      .byte <Room08,>Room08,$86,$21,$05,$07,$01,$07                ;Blue maze entry
      .byte <Room09,>Room09,$08,$25,$0A,$0A,$0B,$0A                ;Catacombs middle
      .byte <Room0A,>Room0A,$08,$25,$03,$09,$09,$09                ;Catacombs entry
      .byte <Room0B,>Room0B,$08,$25,$09,$0C,$1C,$0D                ;Catacombs side
      .byte <Room0C,>Room0C,$98,$61,$1C,$0D,$1D,$0B                ;Rcorridor, right of cat
      .byte <Room0D,>Room0D,$B8,$A1,$0F,$0B,$0E,$0C                ;Lcorridor,below Wh. Castle
      .byte <Room0E,>Room0E,$A8,$21,$0D,$10,$0F,$10                ;Below Lcorridor (below wt)
      .byte <Room0F,>Room0F,$0C,$21,$0E,$0F,$0D,$0F                ;White Castle (outside)
      .byte <Room10,>Room10,$00,$21,$01,$1C,$04,$1C                ;Black Castle (outside)
      .byte <Room11,>Room11,$1A,$21,$06,$03,$02,$01                ;Yellow Castle (outside)
      .byte <Room12,>Room12,$1A,$21,$12,$12,$12,$12                ;Inside yellow castle
      .byte <Room13,>Room13,$08,$25,$15,$14,$15,$16                ;Black maze,right of entry
      .byte <Room14,>Room14,$08,$24,$16,$15,$16,$13                ;Black maze, Chalise room
      .byte <Room15,>Room15,$08,$24,$13,$16,$13,$14                ;Black maze, Dot's room
      .byte <Room16,>Room16,$08,$25,$14,$13,$1B,$15                ;Black maze entry
      .byte <Room17,>Room17,$36,$21,$19,$18,$19,$18                ;Red maze,above black key
      .byte <Room18,>Room18,$36,$21,$1A,$17,$1A,$17                ;Red maze,above entry
      .byte <Room19,>Room19,$36,$21,$17,$1A,$17,$1A                ;Red maze,black key room
      .byte <Room1A,>Room1A,$36,$21,$18,$19,$18,$19                ;Red maze entry
      .byte <Room1B,>Room1B,$36,$21,RD4-RD0,RD4-RD0,RD4-RD0,RD4-RD0;Just inside black castle
      .byte <Room1C,>Room1C,$66,$21,$1D,$07,RD5-RD0,$08            ;Above Rcorridor,right/cat
      .byte <Room1D,>Room1D,$36,$21,RD6-RD0,$01,$10,$03            ;Under Rcorridor,right/cat
      .byte <Room1E,>Room1E,$66,$21,$06,$01,$06,$03                ;Warren Robinett's room
      .byte <Room1F,>Room1F,$66,$21,$00,$00,$00,$00                ;Custom room1
      .byte <Room20,>Room20,$66,$21,$00,$00,$00,$00                ;Custom room2
      .byte <Room21,>Room21,$66,$21,$00,$00,$00,$00                ;Custom room3
      .byte <Room22,>Room22,$66,$21,$00,$00,$00,$00                ;Custom room4
      .byte <Room23,>Room23,$66,$21,$00,$00,$00,$00                ;Custom room5

Room1F:
      .byte $F0,$FF,$FF          ;XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
      .byte $30,$00,$00          ;XX                                    RR
      .byte $F0,$FF,$0F          ;XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX        RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Edited by accousticguitar

Wasn't able to run adventure builder? "this application failed to start because MSVBVM50.DLL was not found".

That name stands for Microsoft Visual Basic Virtual Machine version 5.0 . If you have a Windows machine, you can download what you need to run it free from MS.

Got it! Thanks

Has anybody noticed dragons switching castles during the game? Several times with the blue Dragon, and once with the pink. They were in the black castle and I escaped, later to find them around the red castle, even when the cave was locked.

Edited by 77gp454