IGNORED

My Jaguar CD in its death throes

SloeGin

there is no spinning at all. Like I said, it does absolutely nothing - no noise, no movement. I know the power is working because i get the screen with the cd/question mark and the carts work.

do you have a voltometer to test the wires going to the motor?

yes, it's right next to my alethiometer and flux capacitor :ponder:
Jeez, buddy. When requesting technical assistance don't be a smart ass when asked if you have basic troubleshooting tools. Forgive me if I misread, but your statement just seemed unnecessary.

Try spinning the hub with your finger. Is the hub hard to spin and/or making scraping sounds? In this

I used a spare laser transport to show what to look for. In the first 3 seconds you can see the hub spins just fine. At about 4 seconds into the video I pushed the hub down (you can hear it snap into place) and tried to spin it a few times. You can hear the hub scraping as I try to turn it. If your hub scrapes like that, you'll have to pull the it up a little.

You don't have to take apart the drive to adjust the hub, but it can make things a little easier.

See this site for instructions on opening up the Jag CD. If you open up the Jag CD you can also check to make sure the each cable is properly connected to the motherboard.

If you want to test the motors and don't have a voltmeter then grab a battery and some wire. This method is crude, but it'll at least tell you if your spindle motor is working.

the hub is very hard to spin with my finger, I really have to turn it hard for it to move at all...I will try those suggestions out

carefully pop the hub up about 1/16".

Look at the instructions on Link's page as suggested.

http://www.linkovitch.me.uk/jaguar/cdrepai...ck-platter.html

You may not have to open the unit at all!

I was wondering if anyone can help me with something? I just got hold of a Jag CD. When I put a CD in there, it spins, but the songs don't play. It shows that menu with the number of songs and all that. I press "B" to play the CD, it spins, but no sound comes out. The VLM doesn't even come on :_( . Can anybody please give me some help? You've been very kind to others around here. I'm not a mean person like Kid_Vidiot up there. I'll respect what you have to say. If anyone has a solution to my problem, I'll be very grateful. :)

Edited by EMZayas

I was wondering if anyone can help me with something? I just got hold of a Jag CD. When I put a CD in there, it spins, but the songs don't play. It shows that menu with the number of songs and all that. I press "B" to play the CD, it spins, but no sound comes out. The VLM doesn't even come on :_( . Can anybody please give me some help? You've been very kind to others around here. I'm not a mean person like Kid_Vidiot up there. I'll respect what you have to say. If anyone has a solution to my problem, I'll be very grateful. :)

Try pressing up on the d-pad to increase volume.

VLV instructions here:

http://www.electric-escape.net/atari/VLM-Instructions

Try pressing up on the d-pad to increase volume.

VLV instructions here:

http://www.electric-escape.net/atari/VLM-Instructions

I already knew about the d-pad being a volume adjuster. I tinkered with it a bit and functions properly now. I guess it didn't had a good connection with the base unit. I took it off, blew in both units, inserted it back in firmly and works now. Thank you very much for the link, those instructions are very helpful :)

Edited by EMZayas

• 10 months later...

Hey all,

I've brought out my Jag system, and I'm having the same results with audio CD's. They show that they are playing, but no audio, and no visual on the screen. I have cleaned everything with cotton swabs and the old cotton t-shirt with the cut up credit card to clean the contacts inside the connector with alcohol.

Regular cartridges will play fine.

Game CD's will come up as audio CD's as well. I've tried two different Jaguar base units.

I opened up the player, and checked any socket chips being popped out, ie EEPROM, checked all connections, etc.. I did find that the leaf switch for the lid closed is broken (plastic is brittle) so I jumped it with a shunt. Still no audio with music CD's, and Game CD's come up as audio CD's.

Thanks!