IGNORED

Games that pushed the limits of the system they were on!

DracIsBack

nes- Kirby's Adventure

Sms- Phantasy Star

Sms- Sonic

Snes- Donkey Kong Country

atari 2600- Pitfall 2

Atari 7800- Commando

Atari 7800 ballblazer

Atari 7800- Midnight mutants

Genesis- Toy Story

Genesis- Sonic 3d blast

I picked out games that weren't hacks or homebrews. The Atari 7800 gamse I mentioned are closest Games I think maxed out the system.

Phantasy Star pushed that system too its limits. Hell It looked like a 16 bit game. That game was far ahead of its time!

IMO, DKCountry is getting FAR too much credit.

Just because the sprites were drawn by a render farm instead of a guy with a sheet of graph paper doesn't mean it's doing anything particularly noteworthy.

3D-rendered sprites LOOK fancier, but they're no different than the more conventional hand-animated ones from the system's perspective. It's still just slapping 64*64 bitmaps on the screen.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest...

Most of the SNES games I'd consider impressive aren't, because they use coprocessors to cheat.

I'd probably give the SNES nod to the Super Star Wars trilogy. It didn't really pull anything excessively fancy, but it's one of the few non-racing games to make extensive use of mode 7 without getting gimmicky.

As far as making me stop and think...

I spent a lot of time working out how they did King Koopa on Mario World, given that the clown car stomps down into the castle, and since the clown car is a mode 7 object, it CAN'T enter another background layer(hint: the propeller retracts before it flies into the screen or turns upside down, and is the only part of the clown car to actually enter the castle area).

It's not the most impressive SNES moment, but it was one of the more puzzling for a little while.

Solaris on the 2600. Just the fact that it can keep track of all the crap going on is impressive.

Metal Storm on the NES. With 2independently-scrolling background layers, and 3 in some stages. No clever illusion animations, no cute tricks with stripes to keep things from overlapping. Real, honest to goodness independent layers.

And highly fluid animations on just about everything else in the game. Honestly, it looked better than a lot of SNES and Genesis games.

Robotron. On anything.

Seriously, throwing that much stuff around on the era's hardware is damn impressive. Hell, throwing that much stuff around on an SNES or a Genesis was impressive.

Just because the sprites were drawn by a render farm instead of a guy with a sheet of graph paper doesn't mean it's doing anything particularly noteworthy.

3D-rendered sprites LOOK fancier, but they're no different than the more conventional hand-animated ones from the system's perspective. It's still just slapping 64*64 bitmaps on the screen.

Not in disagreement. BUT, remember that it had not been done before on an SNES! And it made the game look significantly better than other games at the time, on 16-bit platforms (as well as the Jaguar and 3DO) looked.

Yeah - I know it was all because they spent a bunch of money to employ new techniques, but how many people were blown away when they saw it?

Not in disagreement. BUT, remember that it had not been done before on an SNES!

Actually, I think Rise of the Robots employed similar techniques at least a year before DKC did.

Actually, I think Rise of the Robots employed similar techniques at least a year before DKC did.

According to Wikipedia, they both came out in 1994. Regardless, though, it's a good point. And also obvious what marketing will do as I've completely forgotten about RISE OF THE ROBOTS.

On the NES, The Guardian Legend is very impressive in that it can handle a nearly countless number of sprites on the screen at a time. Yes, it has horrible flickering issues when it's at its limits, but it handles them fairly well in my opinion.

GunNac, also designed by Compile for the NES, is even more impressive. So much on screen at once, it actually has an option to change the priority of the sprites in the options screen.

For the Genesis/MegaDrive, Alien Soldier pushed the limits of the system. Impressive graphics, lots of action on screen, and large, well animated, enemy sprites.

Here are some games that pushed the limits of the Game Boy Color:

Cannon Fodder - voice and impressive graphics for the system

Metal Gear Solid/Ghost Babel - impressive animation and many of the elements from the PSX MGS intact

Toki Tori - very impressive graphics for the system

Some later GB b/w games showed off some impressive graphics for the system. Link's Awakening was very impressive in this department and even had some fake transparencies.

Game Boy Classic: The Empire Strikes Back has wireframe polygons in the second stage. Not bad for the little handheld!

There is a JP only game for the b/w GB called X that is made up entirely of wire frame polygons. Very cool!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gameboy/image/569786.html

Edited by BrianC