IGNORED

PS2 compatibility

JamesD

Ok... I'm actually thinking about finally buying a next gen system and I'm leaning towards the 360 but I have a PS2 and backwards compatibility would be nice. Also with the HD video war seemingly nearing an end the Blue Ray player might be nice as well.

Is it true that only the 80GB version includes backwards compatibility. That's what their website seems to indicate anyway.

Ok... I'm actually thinking about finally buying a next gen system and I'm leaning towards the 360 but I have a PS2 and backwards compatibility would be nice. Also with the HD video war seemingly nearing an end the Blue Ray player might be nice as well.

Is it true that only the 80GB version includes backwards compatibility. That's what their website seems to indicate anyway.

From what I read the 40GB is not backwards compatible. Before the 40GB and 80GB came out, there was talk that both would be compatible. But once they were released, the advertising said only the 80GB is compatible. The 60GB is, of course, compatible if you get one used.

The 40Gb is not backwards compatible to PS2 (it will, however, play PS1 games). It is, however, unlike the earlier models, practically silent and runs very cool. Buy it, love the next gen games and hang on to your PS2.

I bought an 80 GB model last month and while it is backward compatible, it's not that great as they decided to do it via software rather than hardware like the earlier PS3s. The PS1 games play fine, PS2 games have crappy frame rates.

I am happy with the PS3 though, and have been enjoying a number of Blu-ray movies on it. Apparently it's one of the best Blu-ray players on the market right now, a number of people at the Home Theater Spot have a PS3 just for Blu-ray movies.

Edited by SpiceWare

To summarize:

20GB & 60GB models have the full PS2 emotion engine chipset and are almost 100% backwards compatible. New 20GBs are long gone, but some 60GB systems are still around if you check stores like KMart / Target that don't sell a lot of PS3s.

80GB has software emulation for backwards compatibility, it's ok but not great.

40GB only has backwards compatibility for PS1 games, not PS2. It actually has a scaled down version of the graphics chipset that removes some of the PS2 functionality. The 40GB uses less power and runs cooler though, as liveinabin noted.

Upgrading the hard drive is really easy, so don't worry about limited space. The PS3 uses a standard notebook hard drive and you just swap the drive through a trap door on the side of the system.

So if you want backwards compatibility, track down a 60GB before they're gone.

Or just get the 40GB for $100 less and keep your PS2.

To summarize:

20GB & 60GB models have the full PS2 emotion engine chipset and are almost 100% backwards compatible. New 20GBs are long gone, but some 60GB systems are still around if you check stores like KMart / Target that don't sell a lot of PS3s.

80GB has software emulation for backwards compatibility, it's ok but not great.

40GB only has backwards compatibility for PS1 games, not PS2. It actually has a scaled down version of the graphics chipset that removes some of the PS2 functionality. The 40GB uses less power and runs cooler though, as liveinabin noted.

Upgrading the hard drive is really easy, so don't worry about limited space. The PS3 uses a standard notebook hard drive and you just swap the drive through a trap door on the side of the system.

So if you want backwards compatibility, track down a 60GB before they're gone.

Or just get the 40GB for $100 less and keep your PS2.

You guys here and at JSII are great. :cool: When I was looking around a Christmas, I would have ended up buying the 80GB for my kids. Then I would have been pissed with the bad frame rate. I asked around, heard the 60gb was the way to go. I searched around and found one. Thanks.

By the way. Is there a usb dance mat the the ps3? My kids' Dance Revolution has had plug for the PS2 controller.

60GB is the one to have IMHO -- all the SD slots, wireless, FULL HARDWARE backwards compatibility. Don't worry about the hard drive size, you can always swap it out later -- I'll probably use mine in an external USB case as a music repository for my 360.

Here's a nice table explaining which one does what:

post-2410-1201132508_thumb.jpg

Got the optical cable, my PS2 is back in business.

First thing I noticed was the video quality isn't quite as nice as the PS3, which is rendering the PS2 games at 1080i on my system(my set doesn't support 1080p).

Second thing I noticed was vibration - didn't realize how much I missed it.

Third thing I noticed was I played better on the PS2 - specifically my middle finger didn't slide off the R2 button like it occasionally does on the PS3's "trigger style" button.

Well, I hate to say it but without the hardware support I'm better off keeping the PS2 and one of my few reasons for purchasing a PS3 over the 360 has basically been dropped by Sony.

I agree with you completely.

I'm still sitting on the fence regarding all this next-gen HD stuff - consoles included.

I'm afraid when I make my move, it will be to the 360. While Sony backs out of the backward compatibility, at least Microsoft (which did not seem to tout backward compatibility in the beginning) has been moving in the opposite (correct) direction with updates that allow the 360 to play many popular original Xbox games.

I was especially delighted when my friend (who's not interested in paying/playing online) downloaded the updated from Microsoft (with a PC, FREE), burned them on a CD and updated his system. Talk about excellent (free, too) support.

Sony really lost my interest by abandoning the b/c. Throw in the fact that 360 is cheaper (likely always will be) and the controllers rumble (right now, no promises) and the choice becomes easier.

Over the past few generations of hardware, I end up collecting ALL the systems in time, but I'm NEVER going to pay $500 (or even close) for ANY game console.

I also don't like the cheapness that Sony seems to pursue as of late. Example: at Christmas, Walmart had PS2 bundles with some game and an extra controller....but a NON-RUMBLE PS2 second controller!!! Now I see these non-rumble controllers on the shelf at Walmart, next to the Dual Shock 2.

Was it really necessary to be THAT cheap? I wonder if the Dual Shock 2 is being phased out. I can't imagine justification for manufacturing/stocking 2 kinds controllers (for a system on the way out) just because of rumble. Cheapness!!!!

I'm afraid when I make my move, it will be to the 360. While Sony backs out of the backward compatibility, at least Microsoft (which did not seem to tout backward compatibility in the beginning) has been moving in the opposite (correct) direction with updates that allow the 360 to play many popular original Xbox games.

Nope, they hit 465 titles (out of almost 800) and then quit: http://kotaku.com/342937/xbox-360-backward...es-winding-down

You're better off with an 80GB PS3 (which are still available) if backward compatibility is your thing. It plays around 9,000 PS2 games just fine (believe it or not, the PS2 had about 10,000 releases over its lifespan worldwide).

Edited by spacecadet

• 2 weeks later...

My fat PS2 is coming up on it's eighth year so I doubt it'll be with us much longer. I was hoping that prices would come down enough that I could replace it with a PS3, but I guess that's out now. The slim unit I bought in '06 only lasted 14 months before it started giving out DREs. I'm leery about buying another.

My fat PS2 is coming up on it's eighth year so I doubt it'll be with us much longer. I was hoping that prices would come down enough that I could replace it with a PS3, but I guess that's out now. The slim unit I bought in '06 only lasted 14 months before it started giving out DREs. I'm leery about buying another.

I have one of the original fat PS2's and it's still chugging along just fine. Interesting read--I didn't know the 60GB PS3 was $499 retail now. That means it'll go used for about $450.