IGNORED

How much for a NeoGeo w/game?

jboypacman

US NeoGeos always seem to be more expensive than Japanese systems, even though they're pretty much identical. If you can find a US system locally for <$200, definitely jump on it. If you're buying online, look for a Japanese/Korean unit modded for S-Video. Also, the first generation control sticks are arcade quality and much MUCH better than the later control pads. Get ready for sticker shock when you see the cost of the better AES carts. :sad:

I always wanted one of these Mega Neos, but I could never justify the cost. :(

http://www.neostore.com/detail.asp?ProductID=888

Neo Geo is like, one of those things where if you need to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it. XD

Well, Ok, it's not that bad, but part of the reason I don't collect Neo Geo stuff yet is because the prices are too prohibitive at this stage of the game for me. If I'm going to be spending $200+ on video game stuff, I want more than a console and maybe a game, I want several games.

It is a MVS unit if am correct and the guy am looking to buy it from lives near me(I know him from some of one of my friends).

He is wanting $250 for it but am not for sure if the unit is boxed or not but i know the game is complete.

It's an MVS? As in, the full arcade cabinet? Find out which board revision it is (if it's a 1-slot, there are several, but 2-slots and 4-slots only have 1 version each, as does the 6-slot). If it is an MVS, jump on it for that price. Even if it's a CMVS (consolized), they're still worth more than that usually.

The value of Baseball Stars (MVS version) depends largely on the region it was made for. US label is worth about 2x more than JP label, though both are pretty cheap, as far as NG games go (MVSs aren't region locked, and it will play in English, assuming you have an English BIOS).

If it's an AES (console), try offering him $200, especially if things aren't boxed or it's not the arcade-style controllers.

How much is a NeoGeo w/two controllers(joystick style)and Baseball Stars worth? I have a chance to pick one of these up here in the near future and i was wondering what a set-up like this would go for.

Baseball Stars is unbelievable on MAME on my laptop with a Playstation controller and best of all the game plus 1000's of other emulated arcade machines is free!

How much is a NeoGeo w/two controllers(joystick style)and Baseball Stars worth? I have a chance to pick one of these up here in the near future and i was wondering what a set-up like this would go for.

US Neo Geo or Japanese Neo Geo? Thats a factor. Also which controllers. There's two variations of the joystick the preferred original and the second cheaper models.

The home console is called the AES. The arcade system is an MVS. There are consolized versions of the MVS, but they are usually much more expensive than the AES.

And they're not "real" Neo Geo systems, they're hacked together from parts. Not sure if that matters, but I like to at least have the real thing to start with. Though I understand the appeal of having a consolized MVS (cheaper games).

Also, the first generation control sticks are arcade quality and much MUCH better than the later control pads.

They're better, but they're not "arcade quality". I have one; it feels basically like the US Saturn Virtua Stick, which most people consider a total piece of junk.

They are better built than the later revision, though, and will take more abuse. Well, except for the ball, 100% of which are cracked in multiple places and probably were before they even left the factory. Some sort of design flaw in the plastic.

This won't do you any good, but I got my Neo Geo AES about 7 years ago at the flea market for $20. It came with the console, 2 original arcade controllers and 4 boxed games including a memory card. Of course, since then I've never seen another, even a game, but... Considering it used to sell new in the box for 700 or so dollars or more... Who knows, you may run into one at a flea market for much cheaper than 250.

Also, the first generation control sticks are arcade quality and much MUCH better than the later control pads.

They're better, but they're not "arcade quality". I have one; it feels basically like the US Saturn Virtua Stick, which most people consider a total piece of junk.

They are better built than the later revision, though, and will take more abuse. Well, except for the ball, 100% of which are cracked in multiple places and probably were before they even left the factory. Some sort of design flaw in the plastic.

I don't think we're talking about the same one. The controller I had in hand was a big, heavy, square controller. The ball felt like solid rubber and it had really smooth clicky microswitches on both the stick and the buttons. It actually felt pretty much the same as the controllers on the MVS cabinets. The base was metal with the Neo Geo logo on the upper left corner and the Sanwa logo stamped into the rubber lining on the bottom. The dealer was selling a single stick for $130 CIB about a year ago. It looked like an official SNK product to me.

I'm not arguing, I'm just curious about what controllers are floating around out there. :)

Don't do it! Neo-Geo games are fun, but the system itself is a huge money sink. You can get the upcoming SNK classics collection for a small fraction of the price of many Neo-Geo games. Even common Neo-Geo titles will set you back as much as a budget release for a modern game system.

its either a consolized MVS (which, provided its the correct board, CAN be used with the AES sticks/pads), or a supergun. if its a supergun, then make sure it looks halfway decent, and not like some of the abominations ive seen arounds the 'nets

Which baseball stars is it? if its the first one, then it shouldnt drive the price up too much. if its 2 or professional, then it may increase the lot's value.

if you can get pics, take them

The home console is called the AES. The arcade system is an MVS. There are consolized versions of the MVS, but they are usually much more expensive than the AES.

And they're not "real" Neo Geo systems, they're hacked together from parts. Not sure if that matters, but I like to at least have the real thing to start with. Though I understand the appeal of having a consolized MVS (cheaper games).

Yeah, I wasn't really going to get into that, since I figured the odds of it actually being a CMVS are slim. Anyways, they are real in the sense that the board is an actual SNK product, with...additions. I, too, would prefer an actual big red (which is why I have one, in fact, but the CMVSs have some good things going for them: cheaper games, more games (IIRC, not all MVS games got AES copies), takes up less space, and multi-slot (advantage over AES, not an MVS cabinet, obviously).

TC, I'd say try for $175-$200. Or post pictures.

This won't do you any good, but I got my Neo Geo AES about 7 years ago at the flea market for $20. It came with the console, 2 original arcade controllers and 4 boxed games including a memory card. Of course, since then I've never seen another, even a game, but... Considering it used to sell new in the box for 700 or so dollars or more... Who knows, you may run into one at a flea market for much cheaper than 250.

Shit, Thats amazing..good find! Wish I could run into one..:)

$250 sounds like it is too much for a US AES with one game. If you want a neo-geo AES, i'd suggest posting on Neo-geo.com in the wanted, start low and see what happens. I had someone offer to sell me a JAP AES for only $135, without a game. but still a great deal.

Edited by Atari5200

Consolized MVS units are indeed real Neo Geo systems. All they are is the MVS motherboard with a Neobitz board attached so you can hook it up to a TV. There's nothing hacked about them, they are typically very nice looking.