IGNORED

Cuttle Cart 3 - What is the best type of micro SD card to use?

stevelanc

Hi all,

I have purchased a CC3 from Chad. I am having some difficulties in getting it to recognise micro SD cards.

I have a PAL Inty, but Chad informed me when I ordered the CC3 this should make no difference.

One SD card (128 MB) says "No FAT system found". The other says " SD card failed init".

Both are FAT formatted (I think) but it may be something to do with the CC3 only liking certain types of card.

Or do I need to format it in a certain way? - i.e. in DOS and create 2 partitions

Any suggestions?

Steve

Edited by stevelanc

I had the same problem when I first got my CC3. The problem has to do with the formatting on the micro SD card. He told me the correct way to reformat it on my PC and it worked perfectly after that. Here's a copy of the post from Chad that explains it all. Hope it helps.

Bill

Just a heads up to anybody who decided/is considering to go this route. These cards come formatted FAT12, which the CC3 does not support. And, annoyingly enough Windows seems content to format them to FAT12 by default as well (despite the MS white paper that says they never use FAT12 for anything except ancient tiny floppies.)

Anyway, if you pick one up, here's the windows command to force them format to FAT16.

format [drive letter]: /fs:fat /a:512

Replace [drive letter] with the drive letter for your SD card. (Be careful, formatting the wrong drive will destroy all data on that drive.)

Yes, it has to be done from the command prompt. The GUI will format it to FAT12.

This is only for the 16MB cards.

Chad

Hi all,

I have purchased a CC3 from Chad. I am having some difficulties in getting it to recognise micro SD cards.

I have a PAL Inty, but Chad informed me when I ordered the CC3 this should make no difference.

One SD card (128 MB) says "No FAT system found". The other says " SD card failed init".

Both are FAT formatted (I think) but it may be something to do with the CC3 only liking certain types of card.

Or do I need to format it in a certain way? - i.e. in DOS and create 2 partitions

Any suggestions?

Steve

One of his cards is 128MB, so I don't think Windows would make it FAT12.

I'm beginning to suspect a marginal solder joint on the socket. I'll probably have to end up replacing the CC3, but I'm still waiting for some more details.

Just wanted to let people know that I am working with him to resolve the problem.

Chad