IGNORED

has anyone been able to

midnight8

get insurance values for their game collections on their homeowners insurance. or is it possible to buy insurance on your collection alone. mine is not very big compared to most of you guys collections, but being in hurricane country my collection is to big to get out with me and would hate to not be able to get anything for it if something bad happens. We inventory our house with pics and a spreadsheet every year and we have been hit direct last two out of last 3 years.

We got my toy and video game collections added to our renter's insurance, it was easy. They just accepted a guesstimated figure on everything.

That being said, it's irresponsible to keep a large video game collection directly in the path of hurricanes. Sure, insurance might replace it for you, but those copies will be lost forever. You should move. :)

Edited by Scumdogg

We got my toy and video game collections added to our renter's insurance, it was easy. They just accepted a guesstimated figure on everything.

That being said, it's irresponsible to keep a large video game collection directly in the path of hurricanes. Sure, insurance might replace it for you, but those copies will be lost forever. You should move. :)

Unfortunately living in the direct path of hurricanes is good for job options so I think I will be hanging around for a while in Texas. I do have a 2 story house with an attic and All my games stay in plastic boxes. So unless my house is completely destroyed the water won't get them. BTW who is your insurance company.

Unfortunately living in the direct path of hurricanes is good for job options so I think I will be hanging around for a while in Texas. I do have a 2 story house with an attic and All my games stay in plastic boxes. So unless my house is completely destroyed the water won't get them. BTW who is your insurance company.

State Farm. They're pretty awesome as far as both our car and renter's insurance goes. They give discounts the more things you have covered with them, so the extra rider (which is substantial) for our toys, video games, etc. ended up costing very little.

State Farm. They're pretty awesome as far as both our car and renter's insurance goes. They give discounts the more things you have covered with them, so the extra rider (which is substantial) for our toys, video games, etc. ended up costing very little.

Where I live they won't take on any new home insurance policies unless you have a standing car insurance with them. I had to change insurance last summer and most companies don't want to write policies on the coast anymore.

Whichever company you choose, make sure you have documentation on everything you have, either with recent receipts, videotape or dated photos. Also make sure that your agent understands these are collectables and has them designated as such on your policy. Some companies will refuse claims on electronics more than five years old (State Farm, I'm looking at you) unless it can be documented to have collectable value.

I'd recommend giving GEICO a call. They helped me save a bunch of money on my car insurance. :)