IGNORED

Favorite and Most despised Contollers of all time?

z28in82

Hello fellow gamers:

The ColecoVision controller...the two side buttons are pretty bad, but I forgot to mention the "where" as far as where the controller is plugged into the console. It has to be among the most annoying configurations of all, requiring you to sit very close to the console as a result.

But I do like the buttons...they work great, by necessity, for Miner 2049er.

Robert T Mruczek

Twin Galaxies - Editor and Chief referee

Star Wars classic arcade champion

rmruczek@doremus.com

From what I actually own:

The Good

Atari 2600

Atari Jaguar pro controller

Sega Dreamcast

The Bad

Atari 5200

Atari 7800

So-So

Atari 7800 joypad controllers. Shame they were only released in Europe.

From what I've seen in the stores:

Gamecube - Yuck! Tiny, cheapo feeling plastic, like a cheap toy.

XBox - I like it!

PS/PS2 - I have NEVER liked Playstation controllers. Too many buttons, too confusing, too hard to use. Part of the reasons why I've never had and probably never will own a Playstation of any kind. Hey, I grew up with the 2600 - one stick and one fire button. Can you blame me for getting confused?

Here's my list:

Best:

N64 (the analogue control was a revelation to me the first time I played an N64 game)

Gamecube (most comfortable joypad I've ever tried)

Megadrive / Genesis (another great design)

Worst:

Intellivision (could never get to grips with the disc control)

Master System and NES (both too small and fiddly for me)

Cheers

Jon

My faves:

VCS stick

NES pad (also TG16, SMS) [but NOT the 7800 pad, the d-pad is lame]

Worst:

ANYTHING with analog anything.

"Shoulder" buttons or "triggers" <-- I really hate them ALL

(5200 are not bad, as long as they are in working order)

-deadtech

Alright, first off I've gotta give one point to the N64 controller and the button set-up for "Goldeneye" - maybe I like it soooo much, 'cause I just got REALLY used to it - after 3,000 hours of playing - but I honestly have not come across a first person shooter controller set-up for ANY system (and yes, I have them all) that I like better. I WISH I could play HALO with my N64 controller - I'd be kicking some SERIOUS alien butt then.

Favs:

ATARI JOYSTICKS!!!

Astrocade Controllers (Man, are those things PRECISE!)

PS2 Dual Shock

Samba De Amigo MARACAS!!!

NOT favs:

Colecovision (can I have 2 working controllers at the same time just ONCE, please? Man, these things break way too often!)

Intellivision ("NICE DISK moron!")

Atari 7800's "Electric Arthritis enhancers"

X-Box "Joe Wieder weight set" controllers

I always thought n64 controllers were great. Until about a week ago I picked one up again, ugh, a good design, just awkward positioning. Overall I like the controller, but it's kind of awkward. I think Dreamcast controllers are way better and the best controllers ever made.

SNES and NES controllers are okay, but not great. Genesis and Saturn controllers are pretty good and I like playsation controllers, and personally don't think they're very confusing. Although, if it's your first time playing a certain game, it takes awhile to get used to all the buttons.

IMHO

All ratings out of ten

Sony controllers(ds2)=8

Gamecube=6 (good quality,odd layout)

Xbox =4 (SSSSOOOOO BBBIIIGGGG)

SNES= 9 (Really the "master" design for a lot of modern systems)

Genesis= 4 (feel very cheap to me)

Atari 5200= -9876 (I dont care what any body says,they blow!)

Atari 2600= 5 (dont last so well over time,great design)

Wico 2600 arcade "bat" style= 10 (built like a tank,probably could be run over by one!

Well yes, of course! Except the batteries last for freaking ever in game terms. I wrote the last install date on the inside of the battery cover and my current set are from July 01 and going strong (and they are a local store brand alkaline, not D or E), so that is not even an issue!

As always,

Markimus of K.

Here's my two bits from controllers I've used...

BEST:

Epyx 500XJ - my fave stick of all time- precise and comfy :)

Jag Pad - very comfortable, but I have big mitts... :)

WORST:

N64 stock controller - too confusing and awkward :(

Atari Joypad - try playing Asteroids Deluxe with this piece of shit and you'll see what I mean... :x :x :x

Intellivision/Colecovision - both sucked - I can't decide which one is worst

And just for the record, I didn't mind the Proline Stick - more comfy and reliable than the original Atari stick... (but not classic like the original Atari stick)

Cheers!

Joey

Favorites:

Dreamcast: Dual triggers and an analog stick were MADE for racing games.

N64: Perfect for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, good for racing.

7800 joypads: Makes the 7800 100% more fun.

NES Advantage/SNES Super Advantage: Built like a rock. Haven't used the DC arcade stick, but it looks to be of the same quality.

2600 paddles: If anyone has played pong or breakout without one, they will surely miss it.

Least favorites:

7800 Proline: Not only awkward, but weak as well, the stalk is too long, allowing the user way too much leverage and ruining the controller prematurely.

PSX Dual Shock: Way to many buttons, and the analog sticks, along with the N64 and Dreamcast, are dished OUT, to prevent the persons thumb from actually staying on them. Every aftermarket joystick I've used is dished in, why don't the factory controllers? The PSX it the worst offender, the rubber coating makes the joysticks slick after a little while. I don't think anyone here can say they haven't had to pause their game to wipe off the joysticks. Or maybe I just have sweaty thumbs? I feel self concious, since no one else has mentioned this yet..... I do like the Dual shock 2's pressure sensitive capabilities though.

Favs:

Epyx 500XJ. THE utlimate joystick. Also doubled as an annoyance tool to get someone you didn't like out of the room.

Atari 2600. Nothin' like only ONE button to remember. These days if you cannot remember not only 10 buttons but where they are in the blink of an eye your game is over. :(

Least Favs:

Atari 7800. Buttons didn't bother me...the design of the stick itself needed some adjusting.

Okay once you get used to them: Any of the modern controllers. For example, my hands are large enough to handle the xbox controll comfortablly. In fact, I do like it. The hard part to me was the Y, X, A and B buttons seem to be at a weird angle and I'd go to hit B and either hit A or Y instead. But now that I'm used to it, I'm able to run and pass my NCAA Football 2003 team to victory.

Cap

Best controllers:

• idea that everyone seems to forget about). The normal Jaguar pad is very good too, but this one is just a bit better.

[*]N64. Yes, yes, laugh at me if you must, but I think they did a good job with it. My only gripe is that so many people made games that ignored part of the controller. Why can't I use the D-pad in Super Smash Bros???

[*]Gemini controllers. The ones with a stick and a paddle. Some will complain about the serrations on the stick, but I never have a problem with them. These are my default Atari joysticks.

Worst controllers:

• 5200. I don't mind the analog idea, or the non-centering thing... But did they have to make them so cheaply? They break faster than an automatic breaking machine.

[*]Intellivision. This thing is just a mess... who needs 16 positions? I also don't like that they can't be replaced (at least on my unit), and have ridiculously short cords, which are also spiralled up to make them shorter!

[*]Tie: SMS and NES. Could they have make these things any less aesthetic? It seems they poke into my hands at every single edge

[*]PSX. Could be worse, but it's too small, and four shoulder buttons is stupid... I'd rather have 6 face buttons, and 2 shoulder buttons.

Average stuff: Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox (Good size, but the buttons should be bigger)

I'd also like to take this chance to complain that it makes no sense that the GBA only has 2 face buttons, the SNES controller was good enough that they should have copied it.

--Zero

Here are the controllers that I have used (and remember... can't remember every stink'n third party controller off the top of my head)

Original NES controllers - I've never had any problems with them

Stock Genesis Controllers - No problems there either

Playstation Controllers - My palms hurt. In general I really didn't like using them that much.

Nintendo64 - Nothing bad IMO.

NES Max Pad - I liked using it.

SNES controllers - I like how they feel.

Gamecube - I like them... allthough the Z button feels a little weird to me..... When I first played on my Gamecube I forgot to use it because its location doesn't seem very obvious when going by feeling alone.

ASCiiWARE Fighter Stick SG-6 - I love this thing, I like how the stick feels and moves, I like how the buttons feel. This was made for use on the Genesis, but I also use it on my Atari 2600. If it were possible to use Genesis controllers on the Commodore64 I'd use it on that to.

Atari 2600 Stick - It's ok... I found it a little wierd at first that the stick really doesn't move that much distance but I've gotten used to that. The button possition makes sence.

Atari 2600 Paddles - Mine work fine.... I like them.

Atari 5200 Joystick - I like using these when they work.. I do pretty good at pac-man with them (one of my two 5200 games)... I never try to make it center, I just rotate it around to the direction I want never letting the stick leave the edge. I also like the location of the fire buttons... or at least I would if I could honestly say that my 5200 controllers have fully functional buttons... only one of them has a semi working start button and I don't think any of them have working fire buttons. Someday I'll get around to rebuilding them.

--- those are the ones that come to mind right now that I've used. ---

I have an SMS controll pad which I can't use because the plug on the end of it's cable is damaged because whoever had it before me was really careless with it. This is the version with the cable sticking out the side instead of the top. I don't understand why they ever put the cable out through the side..... from holding it and messing with it I can say that I think that having the cable resting on my pointer finger would get really anoying after a while. When I get an SMS I'm going to have to try to get the controllers with the cables sticking out the top.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... Best ever...

PSX/PS2 Dual Shock. Undeniably the greatest gamepad ever made.

Worst? Jaguar is way up there, and so is the original US Saturn pad, but I'd have to say the Gamecube controller. Sure, the NES pad was painful, but at least the buttons weren't haphazardly shat all about the surface of it. I'm hoping Madcats or someone makes a decent reform of it soon.

• 10 months later...

The Good:

Wireless controllers! I've got so many extension cords because I love to play from the couch. Now that I have a dog, I'm extra conscious of the trip hazard. The Wavebird is by far my favorite controller, ever, but the Pelican XBOX controller and the MadCatz Lynx PS2 controller aren't too bad as replacements for the originals. I'm expecting some infrared 3DO controllers tonight -- I hope I'm not spoiled by the nice modern RF controls for the current consoles.

XBOX original "Duke" controller, Atari Jaguar controller. Big and beautiful, built for comfort, not for kids. The size never really bothered me... but the Controller S and the Pro-Controller are so much better.

The Vectrex has a nice little controller. Feels analog even if it isn't, with a strong centering spring. I liked the Odyssey 2 controller for the same reason. It helped that it was my first game machine.

I always liked the N64 controller for comfort, though it was an awkward design with the D-pad which never got used except for Tetrisphere.

The Bad:

In general, I don't like 3rd party controllers. They never feel quite right to me. I had a particularly awful 2600 controller which was bright yellow with a "HOT STUFF" decal. It was in the shape of a flightstick and had a button on top, which was kinda neat, I guess....

I had a bunch of 2600 trackballs. None of them worked for long. Boo hoo. It was a neat little controller otherwise.

Although I never minded them at the time when they were new, the Colecovision, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, and Intellivision controllers all sucked in a big way. I don't need to go into why, I think we all know. :ponder: The NES thumbpads were a miracle. I always played VCS games with my thumbs anyway, so this was natural for me. Finally, someone realized you don't need a joystick on a base to control a game!

How come no one ever complains about the weird, unnatural thumb angles the Playstation Dual Shock puts you through?

Faves:

PS Dual shock ( too many buttons? give me a break it fits perfect too)

Sega Saturn 3d controller (only problem is i wish the triggers had more "spring" to them)

3do- no problems fits and feels nice

Sega Saturn (2nd model) perfect for Street Fighter

Xbox type S - fits and feels nice (black and white buttons coule be better placed though, other than that I like it)

Dreamcast - my only wish would be for 2 more buttons ( for street fighter) other than that I like the feel

Least Faves:

Jaguar - feels extremely cheap, d-pad is terrible and numeric buttons are awkward to reach feels worse than 3rd party and the worst I used so far.

Genesis(3 button)- too big and feels cheap, d-pad sucks

Sega Saturn - see above

Xbox- see above

I'll chime in here too, I guess.

Favorites, in order - PSX, Saturn (2nd Gen), Game Cube, SNES (I have small hands).

Least favorites- 7800 (the PAIN STICKS!), Intellivision, Dreamcast (too damn LIGHT, and the wire is badly positioned. Fortunately I have a PSX/Saturn-to-DC adapter!)