IGNORED

SpartaDOS X 4.41 official release

drac030

Would the fact that MyIDE does not have Percom support stop it from working with parta?

I currently have no idea. Must look up the sources. Certainly, SpartaDOS establishes the density now according to the PERCOM information returned. If none is returned, Atari 810 SD or Atari 1050 ED density is assumed.

Is is so much trouble for MyIDE author to release an upgrade with READ PERCOM support? This command is de facto standard.

Would the fact that MyIDE does not have Percom support stop it from working with parta?

I currently have no idea. Must look up the sources. Certainly, SpartaDOS establishes the density now according to the PERCOM information returned. If none is returned, Atari 810 SD or Atari 1050 ED density is assumed.

Is is so much trouble for MyIDE author to release an upgrade with READ PERCOM support? This command is de facto standard.

I know Ken Jones (aka Metalguy) has been begging him to do just that. It seems that Sijmen has no intention of doing this though, which is why there is no support in Real DOS for the MyIDE device.

P.S.

I have never seen Sijmen post here. He does frequent the forums on Steve Tucker's site though, and he does occasionally drop into the Sunday telnet chats.

Stephen Anderson

SpartaDOS X 4.41 has officially been released:

http://trub.atari8.info/index.php?ref=sdx_upgrade_en

Problems - if any - with the software and documentation please report (preferably in Polish, but English is also accepted) here: http://atariarea.krap.pl/forum/viewtopic.p...id=77286#p77286

Sorry, found it easier to post this here:

I'm having problems flashing this. I am using a Winbond W29EE011 flash chip. The flasher completes without a problem, but afterwards I cannot boot. Is it possible there is something different with this flash?

Is it possible there is something different with this flash?

If the flash verifies ok, it's probably not the case.

Can you provide me more detailed information about your hardware (PM will do):

- what SDX hardware do you use (is it an intSDX upgraded to 128kB ?)

- have you ever used the hardware with other SDX version (4.22, 4.29rc) ?

- is there a blank screen after booting or something else appears ?

If your build is working on the 1mbit flash cart you should be able to create a MyIDE+Flash variant by just changing the bank selection and cartridge off addresses.

For MyIDE+Flash rom banking is from $D520..$D52F (instead of $D500..$D50F), cartridge off is $D530 (instead of $D510).

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

While Sijmen may not want to spend time on this, I've been contemplating hacking the 4.x version of the MyIDE OS to add PERCOM read support. I was thinking to use the space currently taken by Sijmen's image routine, since I was envisioning a version that just loads the first image from image space when START is held down. There should be space for a percom routine after that I think. I just havent' gotten around to it yet... I'd have to disassemble the MyIDE OS (again).

While Sijmen may not want to spend time on this, I've been contemplating hacking the 4.x version of the MyIDE OS to add PERCOM read support. I was thinking to use the space currently taken by Sijmen's image routine, since I was envisioning a version that just loads the first image from image space when START is held down. There should be space for a percom routine after that I think. I just havent' gotten around to it yet... I'd have to disassemble the MyIDE OS (again).

That would be awesome.. You and Steve Carden Should 'join forces" on that deal and see if you can fix the ENTIRE problem with The MyIDE OS "kludge" in general. There is more than just the Percomm problem. Lack of Percomm table support will not keep MyIDE from working with Sparta, in itself. What it will do is keep it from working with any of the hardisk related utilities out there. The problem with all versions of spartados (except 3.3a pro) is the memlo that these various versions of sparta 9and real.dos) use. Another thing Id like to see corrected if possible is the missing PBI support, once MyIDE has patched the OS. It'd be real nice if MyIDE loaded its support code over the "math pack" in the same customary manner than ATARI set forth as a standard for expansion devices, and returned normal control to the OS when it was not in use. This would require additonal logic, a separate rom, and a slight redesign of the MyIDE hardare spec, itself, but I think it'd be well worth it.

If even SOME of the issues could be adressed, it'd definitely be better than nothing.

Right now, MyIDE works really good for a standalone machine to run specific (MYIDE compatable) software on, but it doesnt work with most of the serious power user oriented software and OSes and doesn't coexist well with other hardware expansions.

That would be awesome.. You and Steve Carden Should 'join forces" on that deal and see if you can fix the ENTIRE problem with The MyIDE OS "kludge" in general. There is more than just the Percomm problem. Lack of Percomm table support will not keep MyIDE from working with Sparta, in itself. What it will do is keep it from working with any of the hardisk related utilities out there. The problem with all versions of spartados (except 3.3a pro) is the memlo that these various versions of sparta 9and real.dos) use. Another thing Id like to see corrected if possible is the missing PBI support, once MyIDE has patched the OS. It'd be real nice if MyIDE loaded its support code over the "math pack" in the same customary manner than ATARI set forth as a standard for expansion devices, and returned normal control to the OS when it was not in use. This would require additonal logic, a separate rom, and a slight redesign of the MyIDE hardare spec, itself, but I think it'd be well worth it.

What problem with MEMLO are you refering to? I know that there is a problem with the SIO code in some versions of Sparta, since they load code under the OS, and that basically takes out the MyIDE OS patch. Also, some high-speed SIO code doesn't work well with the MyIDE system, which may be the actual problem with Sparta and MyIDE (since the high-speed code basically "usurps" the MyIDE SIO patches.)

In theory you can use MyIDE (internal version) with spartados 4.41 if you don't use the high-speed SIO routines. Does real.dos have a feature that allows you to turn off the high-speed SIO routines and use the built-in OS SIO instead ?

Unfortunately a redesign of the hardware is beyond my capabilities, and frankly outside my interest (besides this is Mr.Atari's interface and design.)

Right now, MyIDE works really good for a standalone machine to run specific (MYIDE compatable) software on, but it doesnt work with most of the serious power user oriented software and OSes and doesn't coexist well with other hardware expansions.

Well, that's its niche I think. There are other "real" interfaces, such as the black box, mio, kmk/jz to mention a few. Basically, unless it connects via the PBI, it's not going to be able to do the things you would like to see I think. Personally, I use the MyIDE to quickly load games from the image space (which is why I've spent so much time writing and tweaking an image loader for MyIDE :) ), and almost never boot to a partition there. All my development and other messing around I end up using SIO2PC and an old laptop running APE.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is there an English translation for the intSDX mod available anywhere?

http://trub.atari8.info/index.php?strona=h...x_128kb_en.html

That tells you how to mod the original intSDX but doesn't tell you how to make the original intSDX.

I think this is the page that I need to have in English http://hardware.atari8.info/sdx.php

Edited by Bumzyman

That tells you how to mod the original intSDX but doesn't tell you how to make the original intSDX.

I think this is the page that I need to have in English http://hardware.atari8.info/sdx.php

The page you need is translated there, in the first section named "I. Prerequisite: intSDX with the old SDX 4.22". It even says below that:

"the following is just a short English summary of the information from the designer's (Pasiu) page"

and the "designer's page" is this one: http://hardware.atari8.info/sdx.php

The first section is the instruction how to build the 64k intSDX.

Only the section two contains the instructions how to mod the 64k intSDX to make it a 128k intSDX.

The page you need is translated there, in the first section named "I. Prerequisite: intSDX with the old SDX 4.22". It even says below that:

"the following is just a short English summary of the information from the designer's (Pasiu) page"

and the "designer's page" is this one: http://hardware.atari8.info/sdx.php

The first section is the instruction how to build the 64k intSDX.

Only the section two contains the instructions how to mod the 64k intSDX to make it a 128k intSDX.

You have better eyes than I do (20/20)! I didn't see any English version there?

If anyone wants fully-functioning MyIDE under SDX I think the way to go would be putting a new driver into the nice spacious 128KB SDX cart and completely disregard the minimal driver that is squeezed into the MyIDE OS ROM.

For any other DOS, the patched OS ROM offers the advantage of making the MyIDE bootable, so it can be used with no other drives connected. But if you are using a cartridge for DOS then there is no reason to mess around with the OS ROM, IMO.

If nobody asks, I do not know.....

The latest 5.0 beta version of MyIDE has percom support.

But is not compatible in anyway with the older versions.

Current plans are to write a new OS based on the feedback I

got on the MyIDE forum, were I always read posts....

The OS is not near finishing. Compatibility with 400/800

as wel XL/XE is the mayor problem.

I do it on my own, in my spare time.

I've been reading the thread, but am missing the point I guess.

Is it correct that the new sdx can be flashed into a 1mb (128k)

atarimax cartridge?

Cheers,

Sijmen.