IGNORED

What "Proofreaders" were created for the Atari?

Larry

Several of the magazines created type-in aids to reduce the errors created when keying in program listings from their magazines. While cleaning off my hard drive this AM, I ran across several of these proofreading programs.

For instance, Antic had Typo and then the much-improved Typo II. Compute! had MLX for machine language entries. Did they also have the "Automatic Proofreader" for Basic listings? Who had "Program Perfect" -- Softside? I'm sure Page 6/New Atari User had something.

Anyone remember any of the others?

-Larry

Several of the magazines created type-in aids to reduce the errors created when keying in program listings from their magazines. While cleaning off my hard drive this AM, I ran across several of these proofreading programs.

For instance, Antic had Typo and then the much-improved Typo II. Compute! had MLX for machine language entries. Did they also have the "Automatic Proofreader" for Basic listings? Who had "Program Perfect" -- Softside? I'm sure Page 6/New Atari User had something.

Anyone remember any of the others?

-Larry

Hi Larry, Atari User used to have Get It Right and later v2. I would think it worked in a similar way to the others you mentioned

Hi Larry, Atari User used to have Get It Right and later v2. I would think it worked in a similar way to the others you mentioned

Get It Right was a great program. Saved me hours of debugging :)

Antic mag typo was a bad error checker I once typed in a game that failed the typo check. Many times I went over the listing trying to find what was wrong.

years latter i finally found the problem. I had a variable NO or something like that that should have been N0.

Typo just had a group of lines that equaled a total and the variable list had to match else the lines total was out as well.

Once the wrong variable name was found and fixed, the program had to be listed out to disk or tape, then entered back in and typo ran again.

Way back then, only had a tape drive.................................

Typo II was very much better and the same as ANALOG mags error checker.

James

Antic mag typo was a bad error checker I once typed in a game that failed the typo check. Many times I went over the listing trying to find what was wrong.

years latter i finally found the problem. I had a variable NO or something like that that should have been N0.

Typo just had a group of lines that equaled a total and the variable list had to match else the lines total was out as well.

Once the wrong variable name was found and fixed, the program had to be listed out to disk or tape, then entered back in and typo ran again.

Way back then, only had a tape drive.................................

Typo II was very much better and the same as ANALOG mags error checker.

James

I agree completely. TYPO would typically have about 10-20 lines for their checksum, so you had to hunt through all the lines to find the discrepancy. And coupled with their proportional listing font (for a couple of years, anyway) and multi-column listing line wraps, it was a bear to get them right!

-Larry

In Poland we had a program called "Edytor BASICa" (BASIC Editor), which was published by "Bajtek" magazine. It was actually a blatant TYPO II ripoff (only text messages were changed).

Later, a magazine called "Tajemnice Atari" published a program called "Generator kodów kontrolnych" (Generator of Control Codes, available here), which was compatible with TYPO II, but was written in assembler. It worked in the background and displayed the control codes on an additional text line at the top of the screen, which was actually very handy.