IGNORED

Breakout 2000 Source Code

Curt Vendel

I just noticed this topic. Has anyone done anything with this yet?

For what it's worth, the code that actually moves the paddle with the joypad is in lines 330 to 344. Another section of code would need to be added in an else if block located between 229and 230. The rotary controller code would need to look at the last position of the controller and get an offset value that is used to set the paddle speed. The speed is then used to move the paddle.

Mario

PS

I've been working on a Windows version recently...

You show me a hook spot in your DSP code and I'll add it. It will be compatible with a CX-22, Atari Mouse, Amiga Mouse

and the Atari VCS driving controllers. I need probably about 256 bytes total(probably a less).

It's been a few years but as I recall it, the paddle and balls are not controlled by the DSP - the 6800 tracks them. The other processors were used to draw the objects on the screen, play sound effects and play music. The game logic is simply a port of an ST game I wrote called WalZ and the 6800 we more than enough for the task.

Mario

• Like 1

I just noticed this topic. Has anyone done anything with this yet?

For what it's worth, the code that actually moves the paddle with the joypad is in lines 330 to 344. Another section of code would need to be added in an else if block located between 229and 230. The rotary controller code would need to look at the last position of the controller and get an offset value that is used to set the paddle speed. The speed is then used to move the paddle.

Mario

PS

I've been working on a Windows version recently...

You show me a hook spot in your DSP code and I'll add it. It will be compatible with a CX-22, Atari Mouse, Amiga Mouse

and the Atari VCS driving controllers. I need probably about 256 bytes total(probably a less).

It's been a few years but as I recall it, the paddle and balls are not controlled by the DSP - the 6800 tracks them. The other processors were used to draw the objects on the screen, play sound effects and play music. The game logic is simply a port of an ST game I wrote called WalZ and the 6800 we more than enough for the task.

Mario

Oh yeah. I understand that your code for the control runs on the 68k but I would move it over to the DSP( if the DSP is

only playing sound and music, there should be plenty enough room a for a about 100 cycles to do what I need to do.

What I am asking for is a spot in the DSP local for a handfull of code. I would also need to know where

in the interrupt chain I could hook the code in. You want to call this a few times per frame on a timed

basis for much cleaner accuracy.

I realize it has been some time since you went near the code but perhaps a quick look over your DSP's

sound and effects code would jog your memory?

I know a paddle would be more closer to the 2600, but not all Jag's have A to D's in them. The rotary

verson code would allow for everyone to play the updated version and allow the use of CX-22, Atari

Mouse, Amiga Mouse and the Atari VCS driving controllers. Also rotaries are digital and much cleaner.

Paddles tend to be jumpy at times. This never happens with a rotary.

Again, the movie I posted is using a CX-22 track ball and you can see the smoothness and not one jump

ever.

Thanks!

:)

So when is this PD game coming out and what emulator does it run on?

:roll:

Ah, another fan who thinks he got something coming to him for nothing.

Let me clarify so you are not disappointed later on.....

A ) I never said it was going to be released in the first place.

B ) I never said it would be PD.

C ) You can bet if it does get released, it wont run on an emulator

as it will require proprietary hardware to run at all.

Hope that answers your questions....oh this is concerning KatyKylr....

I have nothing to say about B2k as it is not my work, so if B2k was

what you were refering to, my appologies.

Edited by Gorf

To answer a few questions...

1) The source code and executables for Speedster II and SkyCopter II will not be released as they were done as a job for hire and now belong to whoever owns the intellectual property rights of the defunct Carousel International. FWIW, Spaceguy was another ride in that series that was never produced but is also unavailable.

2) I applaud anyone who can add rotary controller support to B2K. I regret that I have neither the time nor the tools to contribute to the effort.

3) My new PC game has made a lot of progress over the last two weeks but, alas I need to return to real work and a non-programming project that will consume the vast majority of my time for the next month or so.

It's good to know that people care about B2K,

Mario

Oh I'm sorry, I thought I was in the friendly Lynx forum!

I was refering to KatyKylr.... just what the Jaguar needs - another arcade conversion from a 20 year old game for people to pay $600 for on ebay :)

C ) You can bet if it does get released, it wont run on an emulator

as it will require proprietary hardware to run at all.

You are joking right?

Don't forget to make two different boxes to make it twice as collectable!

(BTW, your Z-buffering either doesnt work or you don't have any)

Gotta expect this kind of stupidity here I guess.

Carry on!

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 1

Relax CJ! I am trying to strongly put aside any rumor that this would be

released, PD or an emulator worthy product. Sheesh!

:roll:

I might have been a bit harsh to you but I get this crap all to often. My appologies.

people to pay $600 for on ebay :)

You make it sound like I got that $600. You also ignore the fact that I strongly

oppose anyone charging anything more for Gorf Classic CD(whichI am sure you

are refering to) that what they paid originally for it plus any shipping and handling.

I'd prefer no one sell it at all. I always though collecting was about collecting and

not the dollar figure you can get for a rare item....that sounds like investing to me.

See the difference? I thought you would. ;)

I was refering to KatyKylr.... just what the Jaguar needs

- another arcade conversion from a 20 year old game for

Funny though , for a 20 year old arcade game you are sure making an uneccesary

fuss over it now aintcha? :D

I dont blame you though and I would love to be able to release it someday. It's not like

I want to hold it from anyone. It is what it is. You've seen movies of Dactly Joust right?

Do you go and bludgeon those developers because they did not release that? ;)

Should I no longer release movies of things just because I have valid and good reason

as to why I can release the actual game? Are you not glad to at least see the movie?

MUST you always have it all or none? :P Hey, I do feel your pain. It does look fun so

far but there is still much to be done on it for you to find any lasting game value in it

anyway.

You are joking right?

The entire purpose was to show Mario that I could update B2k

with a rotary using the DSP. This was in the hope that he could point out

to me where in the source I could hook it in. Why? This way, with the

permission of Mr. Perdue, we could release an uploadable rotary version

for the fans. Shame on me now! :D

I suppose I should do this sort of via PM from now on....sigh... :( ..anyway...

The extra hardware would be required. You will need extra harware, as

an adapter for the controller port. this is how you would be able to use

a CX-22, Atari and Amiga Mouse and VCS driving controllers. No emulator

recognizes this... at least none I know of.

The other issue is this game looks TOO much like Centipede. Since you seem

an expert on Gorf, you know the IP issues I dealt with there. Im not looking

for more of that. Now if Atari were to grant me such permission that would be

fantastic....but that is not at all likely.

:(

Oh, there is also the fact that NO emulator understands the MAIN RAM

GPU code workaround which is mostly what this game is written in.

Don't forget to make two different boxes to make it twice as collectable!

This is a bit petty and rather unfair. However, we have already decided not

to do this in the future. We thought it might be a nice thing to make it a little

more exciting but I guess we were wrong....we forgot the level of envy that

grows on a daily basis in today's world.

(BTW, your Z-buffering either doesnt work or you don't have any)

Er ah, WIP? .....and besides this is not our renderer, we are using a GPU

only version of Atari's sample right now. We move all the 68k parts to

the GPU but It is still very inefficient as it does all things using words(16 bits).

Now you know why most 3D Jag games chug along...too much 68k and too

much inefficient code. In fairness to Atari, they pointed out that this was strictly

a sample and could be greatly optimized....and they were correct. I have actually

read transcripts of Atari insisting to developers to lay off the 68k, to their credit.

Now supplying useless tools so they could not do this? That is another story.

Actually, the Z is on but the video quality does little to prove it. Also the

modeler which outputs the Jag format is not the greatest as it too is a WIP.

Perhaps but its more like fustration having to listen to you complain because you

are expected something I never offered? Or perhaps its that I dont want everyone

to think that I did?

Then you go and incorrectly accuse me of e-whoring my games when I

never collected more than the original price for every copy that was

ever sold. That's not very nice now is it? :(

Carry on!

And a good day to you too, sir!

I applaud anyone who can add rotary controller support to B2K. I regret

that I have neither the time nor the tools to contribute to the effort.

....sigh..... :( ..... It'll have to wait then....I dont have a lot of time to decipher

source code. Then digging through all the assembler of the DSP code and this

and that and the other thing. Perhaps another time.

Thanks for dropping in and chatting at very least! :)

Carry on!

Wow! Considering all the crap that goes on involving you and ppera and others in the ST forum you've got a bit of a nerve attacking the jag forum.

Pots and kettles much?

Edited by Atari_Owl

Carry on!

Wow! Considering all the crap that goes on involving you and ppera and others in the ST forum you've got a bit of a nerve attacking the jag forum.

Pots and kettles much?

Oh now I understand.

:D

Thanks buddy!

Edited by Gorf

I would just like to say I hope that someday in the future we might see a new release come from this work... :)

Oh you will, and understand all this work is for the sole purpose of

finding every available thread of power in the Jaguar to allow it

to do what it was intended to do.....inspite of the Tramiels.

The source code and executables for Speedster II and SkyCopter II will not be released as they were done as a job for hire and now belong to whoever owns the intellectual property rights of the defunct Carousel International.

Mario

Aww that sucks man! :| But, I do sincerely thank you for at least considering my question :), dignifying my request with an answer - even if it is a "no", and not just ignoring me - which I thought you were going to do. I'm just a big Jaguar fan, and when I finally was able to talk to you here :D, I had to at least ask you, I hope you understand. :)

Well, umm,...I guess I need to track down and find out who now owns the rights to those two Carousel games, which may be kinda hard now that the company is no longer around. Maybe I can find out who was the Intellectual Property manager for the company and try to contact them for information or look around for the disposition of their bankruptcy from the legal firm that handled the case or maybe some former shareholders? - IDK

If I am able to find out who owns the games' rights(if anybody), I hope I can then contact you, again, in the future so you could verify the ownership or abandonment whatever the case may be. :) I won't bother you, unless I can find out something out. ;) You've only made PM's available here at AA so that's how I try to contact you in the future - if I am able to ever find out where the rights currently lie. You've been an Atariage member since '03 I see, and have posted here today, so I am pretty confident I hopefully could get ahold of you if I am successful.

Thank you so much for chatting with us here on Atariage Mario, I just think it is so neat! to be able to directly talk to some of the programmers of my favorite games for the Atari Jaguar, when they occasionally stop by here. :D Your game design of B2K was very innovative, putting another bank of bricks on the ceiling really expanded the game and gives it a 3D effect and adds nicely to the B2K experience and challenge. It was an expensive item, but I'm very happy I was able to track down and buy a B2K cartridge, about 4 years ago, for my old Jaguar system. I can only imagine how the game would play with a rotary controller, or a 2600 paddle/driving controller as you suggested.

Best wishes to you for this new year. :)

Noel (ovalbugmann)

I realize that B2K is not everyone's cup of tea, but I really like the game and have played it plenty - in fact, I was playing it for a couple of hours just last week.

If you like the Jag version then the PC version will really knock your socks off. There are a lot of things that were dropped for the Jag version that will be resurrected this time around.

Mario

I realize that B2K is not everyone's cup of tea, but I really like the game and have played it plenty - in fact, I was playing it for a couple of hours just last week.

If you like the Jag version then the PC version will really knock your socks off. There are a lot of things that were dropped for the Jag version that will be resurrected this time around.

Mario

Ok, now you've peaked our interest!

Are there a couple things you wouldn't mind telling us that were scrapped from the Jag version? It would be very interesting to know a little more about the development side of the game.

Are there a couple things you wouldn't mind telling us that were scrapped from the Jag version? It would be very interesting to know a little more about the development side of the game.

There were some power-ups and downs that were dropped for various reasons.

The music was supposed to be a bit more interactive - changing with what was happening on the screen. Unfortunately, the person Atari was having do this left the company before it was even started leaving us with a hole to fill. My son provided the final musical score but it was chopped quite a bit to get it all to fit and play smoothly.

All the active background objects were removed. There were going to be playfield objects like spinners and pinball bumpers that would affect the ball on some of the levels. None of them made it to the final game.

Crystal bricks - unbreakable like Gold bricks but they'd change sides whenever they were hit. Obviously a two-player option only.

A list of new features is being put together as I work through the code.

Mario

There were some power-ups and downs that were dropped for various reasons.

The music was supposed to be a bit more interactive - changing with what was happening on the screen. Unfortunately, the person Atari was having do this left the company before it was even started leaving us with a hole to fill. My son provided the final musical score but it was chopped quite a bit to get it all to fit and play smoothly.

All the active background objects were removed. There were going to be playfield objects like spinners and pinball bumpers that would affect the ball on some of the levels. None of them made it to the final game.

Crystal bricks - unbreakable like Gold bricks but they'd change sides whenever they were hit. Obviously a two-player option only.

A list of new features is being put together as I work through the code.

Mario

Many Thanks Mario for stopping by and talking with us - its wonderful to hear from you.

This is great stuff :)

PC version sounds promising.

• 2 years later...