IGNORED

What to do with old Silver Dollars? *update found some cool coins..

Hello

I got about $20 worth of old Silver Dollars lying around. I know they are not super valuable or anything but I am pretty sure they are worth more than a buck. Anybody know where I can unload them, I am not a coin collector so I would just want to sell them. I just don't want to get ripped off since I don't really know what there value would be. Thanks :)

*Update

While looking for my Silver Dollars I found some cool old coins, I posted some pics in post #34

Edited by Crazy Climber

Love stuff like that myself. :) I always loved collecting coins as a kid and still tend to keep "wheat" pennies as well as silver and bicentennial quarters rather then spend them. We also have a big jar of odd coins that we add to whenever. You'd probably have to check one of those coin collector books to see if they are worth anything and that would depend on the year, condition etc. i have no idea though myself, lol. I also highly doubt a pawn shop would give you the possible $400 value if they are all silver.

DO NOT TAKE THEM TO A PAWN SHOP!

Look in your local phone book for coin shops, if there aren't any in your area find one in a neighboring town. Just don't sell them before you know their real value. Coin books and pricing magazines are great if you are familiar with grading the condition of the coins, but you could be missing out on some cash if the coin is graded incorrectly. Condition is the main concern for coins, for a "key date" (i.e. low production or important date) coin it could mean hundreds of $ difference.

Silver is about $20 an ounce now so I'd say you are sitting on about $400 in silver value alone assuming they are the real silver ones.

Indeed. That's if these are real "silver" dollars, which is often not the case. Which ones are they, CC?

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans

"Real" silver dollars made in 1935 and before are not pure silver and do not weigh 1 ounce. They have .77 ounces of silver and the melt value is about $16. Eisenhower dollars made between 1971-78 have no silver in them and are only worth $1 if they have been circulated. They did make some Esienhower dollars for collectors that are partially silver that come in either a blue envelope or a woodgrain box. There are also American Silver Eagles made from 1986 until now that are marked $1 but are also one troy ounce of .999 fine silver. If they are old silver dollars the value depends on the condition, the date and the mint mark. Post a list here or you can call me at work later.

Toby @ Coin Corner & Hobbies

503-656-1835

open 10-5 PST

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll check them tonight after work. I had a feeling they might be worth more then a buck a piece :)

i love collecting coins when i get to go to coin shows... your coins if they are morgan coins they are worth something...check out littletoncoin.com its one of my site i go shop. hope this helps

Silver is about $20 an ounce now so I'd say you are sitting on about $400 in silver value alone assuming they are the real silver ones.

They aren't worth $400 - there isn't an ounce per silver dollar (unless you have those American Silver Eagles which don't circulate).

To the original poster, coinflation is a good reference for the melt value of coins. The current melt value is $15.59 each.

They aren't worth $400 - there isn't an ounce per silver dollar (unless you have those American Silver Eagles which don't circulate).

To the original poster, coinflation is a good reference for the melt value of coins. The current melt value is $15.59 each.

That is still over $300 in melt value. Still pretty good if you ask me.

If we are talking Morgans then the term "melt value" shouldn't even be used. :roll:

Please add my name to the "potentially interested parties" list. :)

I've been collecting coins(mostly circulated...I'm not rich) for a long time. Beware of some coin shops, though. Some of them(the ones that look like junk-shops, with crap piled high and hardly anywhere to walk) will barely give you double the face value....if even that. Check your local newspapers, I often see large ads for "We buy coins, bills, jewelry"...and while they are usually at large store locations, chances are you will get a better price.

I have a nice load of silver pieces, mostly quarters and half-dollars. I also have a couple of Morgan Dollars that are in SWEET condition(uncirculated! WOOT!)...but I don't plan on parting with any of mine. ;)

I also have a nice collection of foreign money.

Is it legal to melt silver dollars?

There's nothing illegal about it, but unless silver dollars are in really bad shape their collector's value as silver dollars exceeds the worth of the metal contained therein. That is especially true given that silver-bearing alloys are generally worth less than the value of the pure silver that could be extracted.

Is it legal to melt silver dollars?

There's nothing illegal about it, but unless silver dollars are in really bad shape their collector's value as silver dollars exceeds the worth of the metal contained therein. That is especially true given that silver-bearing alloys are generally worth less than the value of the pure silver that could be extracted.

Quoted For Truth!

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll check them tonight after work. I had a feeling they might be worth more then a buck a piece :)

i love collecting coins when i get to go to coin shows... your coins if they are morgan coins they are worth something...check out littletoncoin.com its one of my site i go shop. hope this helps

Littleton Coin has very high prices. I would suggest finding a coin store in your area and comparing the prices you are paying. I think you'll be surprised.

If you have 1975, 1981, 1984 or 1986 I'd be intrested as those are mine and my sisters birth years and I don' have an amercian dollar coin for them yet. I like to collect birth year coins.

Shawn, there are no American $1 coins dated 1975. They made the bicentennial 1776-1976 coins for two years. There's a Susan B. Anthony $1 from 1981 but it can only be found in sets, they were never put in to circulation. No $1 coin from 1984 and only the American Silver Eagle $1 coin from 1986 that is also 1 ounce of silver. The 1981 coin is worth roughly $5 and the 1986 coin is roughly $24.

Please add my name to the "potentially interested parties" list. :)

I've been collecting coins(mostly circulated...I'm not rich) for a long time. Beware of some coin shops, though. Some of them(the ones that look like junk-shops, with crap piled high and hardly anywhere to walk) will barely give you double the face value....if even that. Check your local newspapers, I often see large ads for "We buy coins, bills, jewelry"...and while they are usually at large store locations, chances are you will get a better price.

I have a nice load of silver pieces, mostly quarters and half-dollars. I also have a couple of Morgan Dollars that are in SWEET condition(uncirculated! WOOT!)...but I don't plan on parting with any of mine. ;)

I also have a nice collection of foreign money.

This information couldn't be more wrong. Those people that run ads in the paper will rip you off 100% guaranteed. I'm sure there are plenty of rip-off coin stores too but if you find one that has been in business for awhile they will probably treat you fairly.