IGNORED

Colecovision Dead?

Goochman

Ok,

I've been looking for awhile and have yet to find an active Colecovision scene - No web ring, message boards per say, NNTP Newsgroups, nada. So, is the Colecovision dead? I've been the CV Referee at TG for 2 years and if I eliminated 3 people I prob would've gotten 5 scores in that time.

So,

Is the CV scene dead? I think so :sad:

Bez,

Good suggestion - only issue I have is where to post the msg? I tried running a contest a few months back on the Colecovision where 1st prize was a complete Adam computer setup - Registration was free

I posted on Colecovision.com, TG, here

I got 3 people to sign up (all of which were frequent TG contributors) and had to cancel the contest...............

If there exists an 'Atlantis' of CV players I havent found them :sad:

I've bought a colecovision a month ago. I was very impressed by looking at the games on an emulator, so i wanted the real system. It sounds nice to start the scene over again, but i think there are to less people with a system and games.(there are a lot, but they don't know that they have or don't use it anymore) But still there would be some people interested. but for me is it a problem to get games for it, on fleamarkets i've never seen anything. And and on ebay (in holland) there are only a few games. I'm thinking to make a ram cart or such a thing when i've got some time.

what was that contest about ?

Thelen

I think the Colecovision scene is small, almost non-existant because Coleco only had one popular console way back in 1982 and then focused on software and cabbage patch kids. And the Adam flop never helped make a lifelong group of fans.

If Atari only ever made the 2600 I think the Atari fan base would be a lot smaller today but they made computers and even modern consoles like the Jag. Without all these extra products, can you imagine how small the 5200 fan base would be? I like that console but its mainly because its atari and fits in with my 2600 through Jag consoles.

-O

There was quite an active Colecovision message board last year on yahoogroups.com, but it seems to have died a death - I can't find it any more. The same applies to the old Colecovision Homepage that Norman Sippel used to maintain, I haven't seen that for a long time either :(

Despite this, I think there is still a lot of interest in this system among classic games fans. You can see this on eBay, some of the rarer Coleco items can generate some very high bids, and Colecovision consoles always seem to get snapped up pretty fast.

The Colecovision homebrew scene is fairly active. Daniel Bienvenu has programmed several games in the last couple of years (eg Ms Space Fury, Dac Man, Bustin Out 1 + 2), and there are some other homebrew games out there that have appeared in the last few years, like KevTris and Amazing Snake. And Good Deal Games are supposed to be releasing a new game or two soon.

Colecovision is my #1 favourite console of all time. So, I would be very interested in doing anything I can to help increase the amount of Colecovision coverage on the web.

What I would really like is to see a Colecovision collectors page up and running, complete with its own message board if possible. The only problem is that I don't have any webspace or good enough html skills to make a good job of this. Would anyone be able to help me with this?

I could supply a LOT of content for a Colecovision website though if anyone else can help out. I have a near-complete Colecovision collection (I have every officially released cart except for It's Only Rock & Roll now), and I have collected a lot of interesting items, eg several protos, Brazilian clone carts, and many interesting box variations from around the world - the packaging of Coleco carts varies greatly, with unique cover art on many of the boxes. I have already uploaded a lot of scans of these box covers to a Geocities website: http://www.geocities.com/coleconuts

Hopefully that will give an impression of the kind of site content I could provide. So, is anyone else interested in working with me on a Colecovision site?

Cheers

Jon

Well I've uploaded all my colecovision roms and an emulator to a certain site. If you guys are really serious about starting some type of colecovision ring or site or anything, then you can download the roms, and I could probably help pay for part of a web hosting fee. So if you guys are actually serious, then I'll try to contribute however I can! :)

What the colecovision needs is a site like Atariage.com. Atariage.com has helped the the atari scene a lot. This great message board is part of it. It also needs at least a couple of dedicated web masters like Albert and Alex. This is the key. The site should not only have roms but also scans of boxes, carts, and manuals. It should have links to dealers, a section on prototypes, as well as lots of info on the games, the system, and on the company as well. Articles on things like interviews with the original programmers would help. A programmers section would be great too. The site should have a clean and consisted feel to it (like Atariage) and reflect the multi-colored scheme of the Coleco packaging. And of course a good message board to keep the scene going. Maybe someone can work with Albert and Alex to create a sister site that ties into Atariage.com. For instance, you could have a different front section but somehow tie in this message board into the site with a colecovision section. Somebody could also do this with other systems like the Intellivision as well. That way no matter which page/system you went to, you would eventually wind up at one message board. This would help support the scenes of the less popular systems. Just some thoughts.

Allan

. The site should not only have roms but also scans of boxes, carts, and manuals.  

Allan

You're right. I think it should too, that's why I've uploaded all my colecovision roms to a server, so if a site starts, I'll already have the roms, and I think Inky has all the scans of boxes. It would be really kewl to tie the site into AtariAge too. I usually have plenty of spare time, so I could be a dedicated webmaster to a colecovision site. What does everybody else think?

There is a CV Atariage type site at www.colecovision.com - it was the start of something but appears lack of interest led to the site operator to not finish off the whole site.

There is a Forum for CV other there as well that 3-4 people frequent.

Ok,

So it appears a few Coleco folks have come out of the woodwork - Any interest in playing games and submitting some scores? Any interest in a Colecovision tournament? We tried to combine the CV and Intellivision for more of a mix and fun - any interest in bringing that back?

I think if we start some interesting CV threads in other areas folks may pay attention more.

. The site should not only have roms but also scans of boxes, carts, and manuals.  

Allan

You're right. I think it should too, that's why I've uploaded all my colecovision roms to a server, so if a site starts, I'll already have the roms, and I think Inky has all the scans of boxes. It would be really kewl to tie the site into AtariAge too. I usually have plenty of spare time, so I could be a dedicated webmaster to a colecovision site. What does everybody else think?

Oh, I don't have any box scans at all, unfortunately...

I did write a games column for a few issues of the NIAD users group newsletter (Northern Illinois Adam Users Group), and I need to dig these out.

If we do this, we need to make roms out of the Adam tapes/ disks. There was a site with them once but I haven't been able to find it for a long time.

The only problem with putting Roms up is that I think Telegames USA still has most of them under copyright.

I think you should go fo it ! :), There is no reason Coleco should not get the attention it rightfully deserves.

I have had a chance to play the Coleco at my uncle's house a day ago and was very impressed with it's version of Atlantis and Demon Attack.

So i asked him if he would let me have inexchange for working for him and he said "no f*ck'in way!!!!".

So if you do get the site rolling i can send a whole family of dedicated Coleco gamers your way :)

I always thought the Coleco was a crappy system but now have changed my mind in light of actually playing it.

But i still love Atari though.

russ

Some of your ideas about reviving a Colecovision scene sound great. I think if something was established with a little polish like AA you would get a lot of closet colecovision fans coming out of the woodwork.

Heck, I'd for one would probably pull out my console and the 10 games I have from my closet :)

I am very interested in creating a CV site. This year the CV

is 20 years old and starting a new page this year is a good timing. A combinataion with Intellivision and Atari 5200 would be

great - alle "3rd generation consoles on one hompage with hardware and software comparison.

BTW I heard that the Sega Mastersystem is based on the same

Z80A processor as the Colecovision. Is it possible to run CV games on the MS? How much improved is the MS?

Mister VCS

The Colecovision was a great system. It had a lot of fun games and things were going great for the company until they released the ADAM computer. It was rushed and broke down a lot. It had design problems where the power supply was in the printer. They should have waited to release it but they did not and the breaking down of systems caused a major backlash.

They eventually fixed the problem but by then, everyone was distrustful of them. Coleco managed to stay alive as a company because of the Cabbage Patch dolls but eventually that too stopped making money and Coleco went out of business.

By the way, how many of you knew that Coleco was short for COnnecticut LEather COmpany? That is right. They started out as a leather company.