IGNORED

Problems With My 8bitdomain AV Mod

GarrettCRW

After waiting some 3 months, I finally got 8bitdomain's AV mod kit for my 5200 (a 2-porter with the BIOS of a 4-port system) last month. The cords were woefully short, it came only with an S-Video out for the picture (no problem since I have purchased an HDTV in the interim), but it worked.

So, today, I turn on the thing for the first time in a month, and no sound. I crack it open, and everything looks/seems functional. A quick check using the RF lead reveals that POKEY is alive and kicking (and that an unshielded 5200 using RF looks like crap on an HDTV). So, apparently, the wiring is FUBAR. I, however, have zero confidence with soldiering and the like (hence the 8bitdomain kit), so fixing this thing is beyond my means (and I really can't afford sending off the 5200 and paying for another mod atm).

So, what are my chances of getting this thing to work without outside assistance? And what are my chances of getting help from 8bitdomain?

After waiting some 3 months, I finally got 8bitdomain's AV mod kit for my 5200 (a 2-porter with the BIOS of a 4-port system) last month. The cords were woefully short, it came only with an S-Video out for the picture (no problem since I have purchased an HDTV in the interim), but it worked.

So, today, I turn on the thing for the first time in a month, and no sound. I crack it open, and everything looks/seems functional. A quick check using the RF lead reveals that POKEY is alive and kicking (and that an unshielded 5200 using RF looks like crap on an HDTV). So, apparently, the wiring is FUBAR. I, however, have zero confidence with soldiering and the like (hence the 8bitdomain kit), so fixing this thing is beyond my means (and I really can't afford sending off the 5200 and paying for another mod atm).

So, what are my chances of getting this thing to work without outside assistance? And what are my chances of getting help from 8bitdomain?

Is there a wire on the mod that clips to one pin on a chip? Is a clipped on good to the correct pin of the correct chip?

Edited by kenfused

Is there a wire on the mod that clips to one pin on a chip? Is a clipped on good to the correct pin of the correct chip?

There's none that I'm aware of. Of course, I had to search through the AA forums for install directions when I received the thing. (Yep, that's right-it came without the instructions.)

On mine, I ended up just soldering the wire to pokey instead of using the grabber. I ended up having to extend the wire a little bit though since it was a tight stretch even with the grabber. He emailed me some prelim install instructions after I got mine but I had to ask. They weren't perfect, but they helped.