IGNORED

The most beautiful Atari 2600 game

Ransom

E.T.

Yep. I was blow away by the intro screen, and the rest of the characters were larger than most characters in 2600 games. Yeh, still impressed by it.

Yep got to agree with you on that. I still remember the day I rented it from my local video store for I spent a good ten minutes just sitting and watching the intro screen thinking how incredible it looked on the 2600 ;)

Oh good, I wasn't the only one that did that did that back in 1982. :)

Homebrews:

- Toyshop Trouble

It was hard getting all 26 frames of animation for the elf, but Nathan Strum really did a great job with his character animation and his toy designs.

Yes, for originality I liked those designs even better than Lady Bug, which is graphicaly an excellent arcade to 2600 port too.

Do you mean it was hard to design or to implement all 26 frames? or both? Funny thing was that with medieval mayhem Darrell was able to drop the inital dragon animation files into a bin in 11 minutes flat, all 36 frames that took me well over 6 weeks to prepare, and my jaw just dropped at that amazingly fast turnaround!

If I do a sequel to TT, I may go back and add some more toys, since I couldn't use all of Nathan's great toys in my first game.
Heh, I already finished some new designs for MM2 in case Darrell decides to do a sequel as well.

According to Rob Fulup, his Demon Attack was the first game where a professional artist was hired to do the graphics. Boy did it show. Those demons look great compared with the usual programmer-designed graphics of other games. On the other hand, what games have better looking ducks than Adventure?
Well, that really go to show how some games don't always need great graphics if it's already a great game, but the difference with hiring an artist for demon attack was an excellent move that really helped it! After all --presentation sells.

Wonder how different adv would had been if they hired a real artist too?

i would say Robot Tank, great graphics with weather effects and the tank bob I still believe led the way to the way modern FPS characters walk and run.

Robot Tank has wonderful graphics.

Enduro was another Activision title with wonderful on screen presence.

Raiders of the Lost Ark was very "colorful" as well as a great deal of the later games.

Commando Raid was actually pretty good as well. I remember the buildings were drawn very well. Very "crisp"

Hey I didn't know we were allowed to count homebrews/hacks!

I can only speak for the games I own and have played presently, but Stella's Stocking, Toyshop Trouble, Ladybug, Space Invaders Arcade, Defender Arcade, Galaxian Arcade, Conquest of Mars, Thrust+ Platinum, and Colony 7 blow me away.

Once Boulderdash is complete, it will be added to this list for sure.

Solaris, especially in motion, is still amazing to me.

Most of the Activision games have pleasing color pallettes, and since they don't flicker, they hold up pretty well today.

I always loved Demon Attack, too.

For "so ugly it's beautiful," and a great symbol of the times, VCS Pac-Man, especially close up with the sound cranked to the max.

For "so ugly it's beautiful," and a great symbol of the times, VCS Pac-Man, especially close up with the sound cranked to the max.
:lolblue: .. thought that line was funny in connection with the avitar Flojomojo.

Back on the subject, I really got to say -I dig those awesome colors in all of imagics' games especialy the treasures in dragonfire! Man! the way the colors just seem to animate some of em'! Those were and still are the best, pleasing to look at vcs sprites I've ever seen -even other supposively better systems of the same game like the intv and CV couldn't touch it! The Imagic team really knew how to use the vcs' colors! Even their game's packaging looked like treasure!

I've always liked the look of Demon Attack, especially those little baby demons.

I'm going to second this,for the back in the day game; the sound effects still ring in my ears too after all these years.

As for the newest homebrews.Stella's Stockings intro/gameselect screen blew me away.

Also Robot Tank and Enduro for the day and night and seasons effects were very cool back then.

"The Core?" Hmmm I have not seen any demos for the VCS that are not games. Could you tell me where I may find "The Core" and other non-game VCS demos, please. :) :) Sounds really cool! I like tech demos.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108241

It's awesome.

Yep, and be sure to check out these demos too:

Lasertime

Gehirn

HARD

TOM/JONES

Tricade

RetroGames

There are more on Simon Quernhorst's Site, but unfortunately it's not available at the moment...?

And here's another nice one:

2600_Demo__2004___Vantage_.bin

"The Core?" Hmmm I have not seen any demos for the VCS that are not games. Could you tell me where I may find "The Core" and other non-game VCS demos, please. :) :) Sounds really cool! I like tech demos.

It's awesome.

Lasertime

Gehirn

HARD

TOM/JONES

Tricade

RetroGames

There are more on Simon Quernhorst's Site, but unfortunately it's not available at the moment...?

those demos are sweet!

It's awesome.

Lasertime

Gehirn

HARD

TOM/JONES

Tricade

RetroGames

The site appears to be down but you can get to it by using the Internet Archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070830074406/...horst.de/atari/

The site appears to be down but you can get to it by using the Internet Archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070830074406/...horst.de/atari/

D'oh, i could have thought of that myself! :dunce:

I also forgot the only demo that's available in the AA-Store at the moment:

Boing! 2600 Demo (take a look at this bB-version too - bBboing).

Another one worth looking at (it's small but fine! ;) ):

Ghost in the Machine