IGNORED

$3700 Bounty for CIB LochJaw, CIB Condor Attack

DreamTR

CPUWIZ wrote: I thought about selling you mine for about a second, and then I thought "Nah, paper money won't be worth anything anymore next week anyway.". Come the end of the year, when half the country is in flames, and you got a truck full of water, gasoline and other eatable items, we may be able to talk then.

You know, we had crazy gasoline issues in Nashville last week, like we were in a Mad Max movie or something trying to find gasoline...whole city was on a different vibe, so you're not far off!

You know, we had crazy gasoline issues in Nashville last week, like we were in a Mad Max movie or something trying to find gasoline...whole city was on a different vibe, so you're not far off!

Watch what will happen on Monday at the stock exchange, if the 700 billion dollar bailout bill doesn't happen by this Sunday. Buy ammo.

I can honestly say that this has never once bothered me. I'd rather the seller made a good profit than anything. Win win situation !

Well, would some of the more senior members care to volunteer what they paid back when they purchased said items? All the little smileys used in this and other topics have this wink, wink secret joystick handshake, back-slapping mentality that I find slightly off-putting.

I see what you're saying, but in defense of those guys, I believe their posts merely reflect their astonishment to DreamTR's (very) high offers to buy these games.

Remember, these are DreamTR's prices. I don't take that as thinking that's what I'm going to have to pay for those games. Nor do we all need to believe that that's what those games are now worth. That's what he is willing to pay and I respect that and think that's also a good way to increase his chances of obtaining these titles.

Good luck DreamTR!

Agreed.

The price is what one is actually willing to spend on it. I for one think it is ludicrous to spend so much on a video game that will surely just be stored in a basement and never to be played.

Besides, all those games will be eventually be sold or given away, unless a museum is formed.

For me, DreamTR is getting a little desperate in finding those games. It's cool that he/she wants them, but to offer that much for something that surely will never be used is just mind boggling.

I'll put it this way, and I want others to be honest: if my brother still has copies he found many years ago of the game (Condor Attack), how would a seller feel if he sold it to them for $1,200 when he only paid $2 for it? Hell, I know he gave some away to cool guys like Thomas Holzer, Tim Duarte, and Russ Perry Jr. But to pay that much for the game? For a video game?

For me, that's very unfortunate...

DreamTR, never loose hope. You WILL find a copy of the game and it will be much less than you are willing to pay for it. Heck, I think the flea market my brother got those copies from is still around. Maybe they have a few hidden around.

But I want you to think about something in the meantime...how would you feel spending $1,200 on something that someone spent $2 on? You probably won't care, but deep inside, you are probably angered/saddened by this. This is why I recommend not to pay those prices, because I know you can get them for much cheap.

I wish you luck on the hunt, though.

"Just walk away."

post-5874-1222370419.jpg

I think people generally like to brag about deals they get. "I bought thus-and-such Atari game for $2 and I know crazy video game collectors who will pay $1000 for it" or "I paid 12 cents for this Amazing Fantasy #15 and I know crazy comic book collectors who will pay $200,000 for it" or "I just found this Picasso for $10 at Goodwill and I know crazy art dealers who will pay $10 million for it". This does not mean, however, that the value of the item in question is reduced because someone got it for far below average market value, or even that disclosing the original purchase price degrades the market value of the item. Some people may think it would make it tougher to get $1000 for a game that was purchased for $2, but if the game normally sells in the market for $1000, then that's what it sells for. In these instances, this is typically the discovery of one copy of an item (not entire cases discovered in Brazil), and so the typical market value remains unchanged. Furthermore, the value of many of these upper tier collectibles has gone up, so what people paid for a game back in 1998 or 1988 or 1978 is more indicative of the change in value over time (with less items on the free market, more items in collections, and perhaps more collectors after said items).

From time to time, I do like to go back and look at older price guides for video games and see what the perceived change in value has been for some of the more premium items, but this only provides part of the market data.

For the video game collectors with deep pockets and/or high determination, I doff my cap at their determination to build their collections, as I'd like to do the same. There are around 60 NTSC CIB titles I'm interested in, but they range from somewhat expensive to way out of my league at this point; their rarity means they show up very infrequently and when they do they set off a spending frenzy among interested collectors.

I'm not trying to get up into anybody's business when I ask for volunteer information about prices paid, I'm much more interested in it from a historical and financial perspective. If somebody would tell me, "well, Z years ago I bought Game ---- for X dollars and now it seems to sell for X+N," I'd think that the value is X+N and that's what I should expect to pay (or more) for the current market value.

besides nostalgia, the "X+N formula" is one of the basic principles of collectors in general ... we wouldn't spend all this money on those old games if we knew that they loose their value every year and would end up beeing as valuable as a pac man cart ...

and there is simply not that much of the rare carts left, due to various reasons from the video game crash and low sales to low production numbers, etc .... while there is more and more collectors for the atari 2600 (and other systems) ... another simple formula which makes the availability shrink from year to year and lets the prices raise a bit more and more ... i used to ride a Vespa SS90 about 20 years ago ... if i still had it, i would only let it stand in my livingroom and polish it every week as the value went up considerably ... it's all the same from video games to cars to whatever is antique and valuable ...

BTW: if every atari item would be worth a dollar, then we wouldn't even be here as AtariAge probably wouldn't exist!

we don't play the games? nevermind ... ask a stamp collector if he would "use" any of his valuable stamps! :ponder:

is ebay all evil? no, it's simply the easiest way to find something ... you just have to startup your computer, save a search and check your emails ... but of course there is a price to it, as many many many people do the same. that is the simple reason why these "bid fights" are happening ...

the really good deals are made if you invest time (and fuel) and drive around fleamarkets, thrift shops, read ads in newspapers, etc ... there you have a better opportunity to make good deals or maybe even find rare items you wouldn't have expected. but this is the technique that involves luck as well ... in the case "patience" is the secret formula leading to success ... like an archeologist: most of his time is spent doing research and not finding pyramids or whatever else he is looking for ...

and finally the price: that's a personal thing .... you might have waisted many hours, days or months of your life going through these dozens of pages on ebay com/de/com.au/co.uk to find one of those few games you are looking for as it might be in the pictures but not mentioned in the text. And that time is maybe precious time (time you would have worked or spent with your family). so 2000$ might not be that much for a game that might swallow up lots and lots of time until you would have found it (if at all).

i also don't care if people spent 5$ or 5000$ on a game. the seller might be in need of money while the buyer surely doen't have financial problems, so i also see it as a win-win situation.

there is just a few exceptional situations when people with little money waiste everything they have for items they can't really afford. his might be a problematic thing ...

hey albert, can you make a Anonymous Atari Agers section on the website? :P

megasdkirby: Maybe years ago they were cheap, but with inflation and collecting, you're very far off with what these games are worth at the moment. I don't lowball anyone, and I don't play games. And to prove my point, no one has even come to me with an OFFER of these games yet, so that should tell you that people don't want to sell them even for these supposed "desperation" prices as you say.

But are they really worth the price of over $1K? For a video game? I'm not trying to change your views on this, and I respect them fully. For me, it's simply not worth paying that much for a game that will surely never get played, placed in a shelf or basement never to be touched, and then later on sold or distributed. Unless it's in a museum, I don't see it feasible.

Ah, but alas, it is desperation. You are offering over $1K for one game and over $2.5K for another just to have a copy. And as time progresses, you will increase your offer more and more. Why? Because you REALLY want it. If you didn't, then this would not be the case. It's like on Ebay...a super common game can fetch $100 or more even though it's not rare at all. Example: Final Fantasy 7. Heck, a game could have a circulation of only 100 copies, but if no one wants it, you can find it for $10 or less. But the 100 print game is much rarer, yet Final Fantasy 7 yields more money? Why? Because people desperately want it. Otherwise it would still be for $15 or less.

How do you think the guy that bought the NWC Gold for $15,000 feels knowing some were sold for $2 or $50? How about all of the neat crazy collectables and items that are found in garage sales for cheap and sold for a lot of money. It's the equivalent of winning the lottery in a way, but they just aren't available "cheap" like you think they are. If they were, someone would have sold ONE copy of Lochjaw on eBay CIB in the past 2-3 years.

Once again, this is because of demand. People want it so it fetches a high amount. If no one wanted it, price would drop like a rock. And $15K for a game? Please. No game is worth that much, no matter how one puts it. It's a waste of money, IMO. He was desperate, hence the high amount. And I bet...I BET that afterward he regretted it. Sure, he won't admit it, but I know he did. Anyone willing to shell out that much for a game is either rich or desperate for it. Simple as that.

I am not trying to bash anyone. Each one does what they want, and that's cool. And this is my opinion anyway, and I don't intend to force this upon anyone anyway.

megasdkirby: Maybe years ago they were cheap, but with inflation and collecting, you're very far off with what these games are worth at the moment. I don't lowball anyone, and I don't play games. And to prove my point, no one has even come to me with an OFFER of these games yet, so that should tell you that people don't want to sell them even for these supposed "desperation" prices as you say.

But are they really worth the price of over $1K? For a video game? I'm not trying to change your views on this, and I respect them fully. For me, it's simply not worth paying that much for a game that will surely never get played, placed in a shelf or basement never to be touched, and then later on sold or distributed. Unless it's in a museum, I don't see it feasible.

Ah, but alas, it is desperation. You are offering over $1K for one game and over $2.5K for another just to have a copy. And as time progresses, you will increase your offer more and more. Why? Because you REALLY want it. If you didn't, then this would not be the case. It's like on Ebay...a super common game can fetch $100 or more even though it's not rare at all. Example: Final Fantasy 7. Heck, a game could have a circulation of only 100 copies, but if no one wants it, you can find it for $10 or less. But the 100 print game is much rarer, yet Final Fantasy 7 yields more money? Why? Because people desperately want it. Otherwise it would still be for $15 or less.

How do you think the guy that bought the NWC Gold for $15,000 feels knowing some were sold for $2 or $50? How about all of the neat crazy collectables and items that are found in garage sales for cheap and sold for a lot of money. It's the equivalent of winning the lottery in a way, but they just aren't available "cheap" like you think they are. If they were, someone would have sold ONE copy of Lochjaw on eBay CIB in the past 2-3 years.

Once again, this is because of demand. People want it so it fetches a high amount. If no one wanted it, price would drop like a rock. And $15K for a game? Please. No game is worth that much, no matter how one puts it. It's a waste of money, IMO. He was desperate, hence the high amount. And I bet...I BET that afterward he regretted it. Sure, he won't admit it, but I know he did. Anyone willing to shell out that much for a game is either rich or desperate for it. Simple as that.

I am not trying to bash anyone. Each one does what they want, and that's cool. And this is my opinion anyway, and I don't intend to force this upon anyone anyway.

OK, tell me what makes a Video Game so Different than a 45 record, 78 record, Comic Book, Sport Card, Stamp, Coin, Hot Wheels, Board Game, Coke Bottle, Diamond, Hardback Book, Postcard, Typewriter, Doll, Figurine. See all those things I just mentioned have had items sell for over $1,000. Why is it a rip off when it is a Video Game. Yet it's OK to spend that much and a lot more for the other stuff I just mentioned.

Megasdkirby: Like everyone said, it's a "collectable."

No difference from that or a $1,000,000 Honus Wagner Baseball Card that is just going to SIT there.

By virtue of what you are saying, anything would be a waste of money that is a collectable if you are not getting any use out of it. You can get more use out of those games I mentioned by playing them a couple of times. What are you going to do with rare stamps, coins, and paintings? You're going to sit and STARE at them.

Your logic is silly on this. You may think it is a waste of money, but so are many things. Going out to the bar when you can drink cheap beer at home. Buying anything not in bulk because it's cheaper that way. The list goes on and on, everyone thinks something else is a waste of time and money. Heck, I think going out is one big waste of cash. I don't do anything with my money except buy video games and sell the excess ones I get so I can purchase more. It's my hobby, and I enjoy doing it. I'm not rich or anything, it's what I like to do/collect.

Biggest waste of money IMO are new cars. Those things drop in value the minute you drive off the lot! Surely megasdkirby you have never "wasted" money on anything that was not worth it? You must never go out, have a new car, eat at restaurants, or buy CDs or anything. It all adds up to the same thing.

OK, tell me what makes a Video Game so Different than a 45 record, 78 record, Comic Book, Sport Card, Stamp, Coin, Hot Wheels, Board Game, Coke Bottle, Diamond, Hardback Book, Postcard, Typewriter, Doll, Figurine. See all those things I just mentioned have had items sell for over $1,000. Why is it a rip off when it is a Video Game. Yet it's OK to spend that much and a lot more for the other stuff I just mentioned.

No matter what it is, it's simply a waste of money. That cash could be used for something much, MUCH important.

And some, unfortunately, buy items such as these instead of necessities. For example, and though it doesn't have much in common with the topic, is when people spend thousands on a new car, LCD TV, or things they simply don't need INSTEAD of paying off their loans, progressing in life, etc.

In short, I rather use my money on more important, necessary things. Hell, I love gaming and have a very good collection. But I just can't justify spending thousands on a game, let alone ONE game.

Megasdkirby: Like everyone said, it's a "collectable."

No difference from that or a $1,000,000 Honus Wagner Baseball Card that is just going to SIT there.

By virtue of what you are saying, anything would be a waste of money that is a collectable if you are not getting any use out of it. You can get more use out of those games I mentioned by playing them a couple of times. What are you going to do with rare stamps, coins, and paintings? You're going to sit and STARE at them.

I know, and you are right about this. If it's a video game, I make sure I enjoy them. Many collectors shell out X amount of cash...for what? To store in a basement or in a shelf and they NEVER play it. I make sure I play and enjoy all my games...make sure I get my money's worth. Hence, I don't collect anything else...except money (I'm Mr. Scrooge...I love my money bin!) :)

Your logic is silly on this. You may think it is a waste of money, but so are many things. Going out to the bar when you can drink cheap beer at home. Buying anything not in bulk because it's cheaper that way. The list goes on and on, everyone thinks something else is a waste of time and money. Heck, I think going out is one big waste of cash. I don't do anything with my money except buy video games and sell the excess ones I get so I can purchase more. It's my hobby, and I enjoy doing it. I'm not rich or anything, it's what I like to do/collect.

And as a hobby, thats excellent. I do that as well. I guess it is how one has been raised. For me, wasting that much is just ludicrous. Because let's be honest: apart from the few collectors who actually play the games, what is the fate of games to collectors? A shelf to gather dust and EVENTUALLY be either sold or "distributed" in the future. It always happens, no matter how one tries to deny it. And with that amount of money, I can get hundreds of games instead of just one. And let's be honest here...once you get the game, what will you do with it? Probably play with it once or twice and "shelve it". You know that's the game's fate.

Biggest waste of money IMO are new cars. Those things drop in value the minute you drive off the lot! Surely megasdkirby you have never "wasted" money on anything that was not worth it? You must never go out, have a new car, eat at restaurants, or buy CDs or anything. It all adds up to the same thing.

Actually, I will admit I don't spend my money on those things...at least if I don't need it. That is something I have been criticized over and over again. Yet it's funny...those who make fun of the fact that I save my money are those that spend and spend and later on cry and complain that they can't afford what they pay and are in huge debts. I'm sorry, but I laugh when this happens. And sure, I do buy things that are not necessary, but I make sure there is a limit to what I buy. I don't have a new car nor will I ever buy a new car. I go out not to spend money, but to recreate myself...enjoy myself. I don't go to the mall and spend $5,000 on an LCD tv I don't need or $500 on beer and food, like some of my work colleagues do. I eat at restaurants when I need to, I don't do it every day. I don't buy music CD's (can't comment here). You are probably wondering that I don't enjoy myself. Actually I do, but I make sure I don't over do it. Moderation is key for me.

Actually, I will admit I don't spend my money on those things...at least if I don't need it. That is something I have been criticized over and over again. Yet it's funny...those who make fun of the fact that I save my money are those that spend and spend and later on cry and complain that they can't afford what they pay and are in huge debts. I'm sorry, but I laugh when this happens. And sure, I do buy things that are not necessary, but I make sure there is a limit to what I buy. I don't have a new car nor will I ever buy a new car. I go out not to spend money, but to recreate myself...enjoy myself. I don't go to the mall and spend $5,000 on an LCD tv I don't need or $500 on beer and food, like some of my work colleagues do. I eat at restaurants when I need to, I don't do it every day. I don't buy music CD's (can't comment here). You are probably wondering that I don't enjoy myself. Actually I do, but I make sure I don't over do it. Moderation is key for me.

To each their own! ;)

Come the end of the year, when half the country is in flames, and you got a truck full of water, gasoline and other eatable items, we may be able to talk then.

I've found the source of the gas shortages... CPU's been eating all of it! :D

Mr. Ban Button........ :ponder:

Megasdkirby: the argument you have is still flawed, it's just what YOU think is a waste of money. Moderation or not, the justification is there. Why buy video games period? Heck, save money and play board games with your family then! I mean, you could go on and on with something like this.

Like I said, EVERYTHING can be a predetermined waste of money to someone. It's all relative, but in this day and age, spending thousands on a video game is a better bet than spending thousands on cds, dvds, or most stocks...

• 4 years later...