IGNORED

How to record Atari 2600 ?

Sonja

• 4 weeks later...

You need some sort of video capture device such as, ahem, a TV Tuner.

Here's how I do it:

1) Record it to a VHS. This way you have a hard copy that can be replayed if something screws up.

2) Connect your VCR to your computer via a TV Tuner or video capture device.

3) Rewind the VHS tape.

4) Press record on your TV Tuner or video capture device software.

5) Press play on the VCR.

6) When you are done recording, use your video capture software to export to a video format suitable for uploading to YouTube.

7) Upload to YouTube.

Buy a Dazzle Video Recorder by Pinnacle Systems:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/P...or+Platinum.htm

You'll attach your modded 2600 to the composite input on the Dazzle, which is attached to your computer via USB.

Get one on sale this week for $44.99 at Circuit City, or check the web for a good deal.

Edited by Zwackery

• 5 years later...

I'm re-using this topic for my problem.

I have bought a Dazzle DVC-100 to record gameplay from my modded Atari 2600 with composite.

I used the program Videoglide because it was used in a few tutorial videos, but I get wrong colours on the recording and also I have no sound.

Does anyone else here has the same problem and have you managed to solve it?

I won't use a VHS recorder, because I want to edit the recordings on my computer.

^Though that might be a joke, a digital video recorder like I have would work similar. Mine records to an SD card and then I can plug the card into my PC's SD slot for video editing and upload to youtube. If you go this route, just be sure to have the room lighting turned down low so that the TV screen shows up good on the video.

Edited by sqoon

If you go this route, just be sure to have the room lighting turned down low so that the TV screen shows up good on the video.

Yeah, you wouldn't want people to see your naked reflection. I learned that the hard way. For stuff like this, it also helps if you have a tripod or a table or chair or stack of books or something that the camera can sit on (shaky cam sucks). If the camera has an external mic jack, the sound from your TV entertainment center could be plugged into it, then you'd get perfect sound without any background noise.

This is funny... I used to have my NES hooked up through a VCR like 25 years ago. One day I thought I'd try and record my game play... and to my surprise it worked. :) No other 11 year old that I knew of had ever considered trying to do that back then. Yes, I feel special.

I finally managed to get the recording working with my dazzle and videoglide. I figured out that I have to turn on the Atari first and then to start the program or else the video signal is received wrong. Don't know exactly why, but this works out for me.

For the lacking sound.... This was my fault. I had to check the option for getting sound during a recording, so that also works now.

So I can now record my games in my destined format and can upload it. Also I think the quality is really good!

What's the difference in features and functionality between Dazzle DVD Recorder HD and Dazzle Video Creator Platinum HD? Are the differences enough to justify the cost being doubled? Does anyone know?

I have the Video Creator Platinum HD and the difference in price comes maybe from the video editing program, which is included in the Platinum version. Does the DVD Recorder also has the Pinnacle Studio program?

I have the Video Creator Platinum HD and the difference in price comes maybe from the video editing program, which is included in the Platinum version. Does the DVD Recorder also has the Pinnacle Studio program?

According to Pinnacle's web site, the $49.95 Dazzle DVD Recorder HD includes Pinnacle Studio HD v.14, whereas the $99.95 Dazzle Video Creator Platinum HD includes Pinnacle Studio HD v.15. Unless the differences between v.14 and v.15 are worth the $50 price difference, I'd hope there are other differences, too. I'm just wondering if it's really worth paying twice the price for the Platinum version?

I think the best answer was already mentioned. Just get a cheap TV Tuner card. Record and edit the resulting video directly from your PC. Profit.

http://www.newegg.co...bCat/ID-1772-47

Well, I already have a cheap TV tuner device-- I don't have it handy right now to get the exact model, but it's a Hauppauge WinTV something-or-other. When I bought it and tried using it with my 7800 and/or 2600, it gave less than satisfactory results-- the color either kept flickering out or was always out-- so I stopped using it. That didn't happen with regular TV signals, just the Atari. I see someone mentioned a similar problem with the Dazzle or other device, and was able to resolve the issue by turning the Atari on first, then the device, so I might try that sometime.

I also have a Snappy I can connect between my computer and a VCR or DVD recorder, which worked fine on an older computer, but that computer died and I don't have the CD with the software handy.

What I currently use to record my 2600 or 7800 is a DVD recorder-- that's what I used to record my 2600 playing all of the TIA's sounds, or recording palette displays, etc. It works great, and I don't mind using up a recordable DVD for this, since I hardly ever record anything with my DVD recorder as it is.

So I'm not actually in the market to buy the Dazzle or similar device right now; I was just wondering about the huge difference in price between the two versions of the Dazzle.

Edited by SeaGtGruff

German Amazon page says that the only difference between them is indeed the software, but also the prices there are nearly the same (only 2 Euros difference)

If you buy a capture card, then don't consider an HD PVR for recording any Atari devices. I have it and when I record something picture and sound doesn't fit together after only a few minutes. Thats maybe the reason why the new model of the PVR hasn't any composite or S-Video connectors ;)

• 5 months later...

Hello guys, I'm an editor in a game site and I want to play and record with my Atari 2600 in order to upload Youtube videos.

I wish I had read this topic earlier. I bought both Dazzle Platinum HD and Hauppage (for newer consoles as well). I have a Samsung TV Monitor in my PC so with Dazzle I can record old consoles by connecting them with the TV port on the back.

I have 2 Atari 2600 PAL and 1 Atari 2600 NTSC but ALL of my games are NTSC. PAL Atari 2600 play the games black and white so Iam forced to use my Atari 2600 NTSC.

However:

- When I connect my PAL consoles to the Samsung monitor they play well and I record through Pinnacle Studio.

- When I connect my NTSC consoles to the Samsung monitor, I use something like RF splitter or something, that my brother gave me, and they play well so I can record.

- But when I connect my NTSC Atari 2600 console to the monitor, that console has a european RF cable! And it only plays in the Samsung Monitor but not in the Pinnacle Studio. It doesn't recognise any signal. Or at least I think that this Atari is NTSC. Because I can't understand how it plays all games coloured while the other 2 Ataris don't. Is it converted to play them coloured maybe?

I'm even thinking of giving the console so that the RF is converted from PAL to NTSC in order for me to use the RF cable my brother gave me, in case that's the fault. I'm very confused and I'm even thinking to quit capturing with all that mess. I also want suggestions for some other programs like Pinnacle Studio in case they can see the console from Samsung monitor.

Finally, I have bought a cheap TV tuner from China to connect my Atari 2600 but it didn't work.. Just saying. If you have any particular suggestions on that it would be great.

Thank you.