IGNORED

Coleco Adam Mods - Feedback Wanted

I've got a couple small ColecoVision projects to finish up, then I'm going to start some modding work on the Adam. My thoughts at this point are:

Power Supply - Either a small external power supply, negating the need for the printer, or something internal

Replacement Switches - With no printer (which has the power switch), adding an On/Off switch is a must, and while I'm at it I'll probably replace the Adam/ColecoVision reset switches, and possibly add a pause button. I'd use the stylish buttons that I've used in the past.

Internal Ram Upgrade - I found an old document for a 64K RAM upgrade which is hard-wired into the console, versus the installed card style. Not sure how necessary it is, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Console Dyeing - I might dye the console Black/Silver versus the standard Beige/Brown. The console won't be that big of a deal, but if I do the keyboard I'll have to get transfers to re-mark all the keys. Probably a huge pain, but it'd be unique.

A/V Jacks - I'll install a proper set (yellow, red, white) of composite video/analog audio jacks to the rear of the console. Gold-plated of course, which will negate the need for the DIN cable.

VGA Output - Since it is a computer technically, it should have a modern computer video hook-up, as far as I'm concerned.

Video Outputs Other - I'll see what I can do about S-Video and Component Video outputs as well.

So my question to you is, besides what I've got already mentioned above, are there any other mods/upgrades that you think you'd like to see on a Coleco Adam.

Edited by doubledown

Are you serious?Dont you mean "PAINTING" a console?How can one dye a hard plastic object,or anything non porous?Do you have a special method?I have a couple of scratched up consoles that can use a new finish.

Doubledown, do you remember the CV power supplies you modded for me with an on-off switch, which was inspired from eColeco's Adam PS mod? It's great, but it only powers the cartridge slot and the keyboard (I know this because I can use the word processor). I suppose you're now going to investigate how to do a proper printer-less Adam power supply unit that properly powers the datapack drives. If you pull it off (and I'm certain you will) and make it an external unit, count me in as an interested buyer.

In fact, I happen to own an Adam power supply block taken from inside an Adam printer. I can't remember from who I bought it, and I never got around to actually testing it, but one interesting detail about it is that it has the proper beige wire with the specially-shaped plug made to fit in the Adam Memory Console. The actual plug itself is a standard 9-pin plug, but you can't use a standard PC-style 9-pin plug because the casing of such a plug is incompatible with the casing of the Memory Console. eColeco sold me a Memory Console with a piece of the casing chipped off so that the plug of their Adam-modded PS could fit in.

All this to say that if you were to make me an Adam power supply, I could send you my Adam power supply and you could canibalize it to use the beige wire with the special plug. :)

The one I did before was a copy of eColeco's Adam game power supply which only powers the boards in the Adam, including the ColecoVision board, but won't power any peripherals. I am looking at powering the entire console, DataPak Drives and all. The only difference in the 2 power supplys besides the amerage of each line required, is that the Adam has an additional +12V line. I've found a new molded DB-9 connector that I've been using on my Jag-CV conversions that will plug into the Adam's power port without interference, unlike standard computer DB-9 hoods which have hood screw tabs and an overall larger size. Granted it's a straight connector versus the Adam's right angle connector, but it does work just fine. This will really only be necessary if I can't stuff the power supply into the console itself.

The one I did before was a copy of eColeco's Adam game power supply which only powers the boards in the Adam, including the ColecoVision board, but won't power any peripherals. I am looking at powering the entire console, DataPak Drives and all. The only difference in the 2 power supplys besides the amerage of each line required, is that the Adam has an additional +12V line. I've found a new molded DB-9 connector that I've been using on my Jag-CV conversions that will plug into the Adam's power port without interference, unlike standard computer DB-9 hoods which have hood screw tabs and an overall larger size. Granted it's a straight connector versus the Adam's right angle connector, but it does work just fine. This will really only be necessary if I can't stuff the power supply into the console itself.

Right, well, I'll be following your progress with great interest. :)

Well the power supply problem is fixed. Here's a pic of the test setup. "You'll have to forgive the crudity of this model, I didn't have time to build it to scale, or to paint it." (name that quote)

adamsetupxj3.jpg

You'll see the Adam in the middle with Super Donkey Junior displayed on the LCD having been loaded via the Digital Data Drive. To the left of the console is my breadboard for some wiring connections, and the power supply itself is just to the left of that. The PS is pretty small and it's the same high power model I've been using for my internal power supply mod for the ColecoVision for a few years now. I encased one of these power supplies a few years ago to use as my CV testing power supply. Here's a pic of it next to a standard CV power supply for a size comparison.

adampsjx7.jpg

Anybody interested? :cool:

Yeah,dyeing seems to be the better alternative.Painting can peel,chip,scratch, off,leaving console even uglier than before.I'd have to experiment first with scrap plastic,uneven dyeing looks incredibly hideous.

Edited by Rik

Yeah,dyeing seems to be the better alternative.Painting can peel,chip,scratch, off,leaving console even uglier than before.

Not to mention the required mils of thickness for proper coverage with paint can cause interference and scraping-off problems with moving parts, such as sliding switches and cartridge doors.

Here ya go. This is the one on my SA Control Pad. It's a two piece snap together design. And it's actually smaller overall dimensionally than standard plugs like those on Atari or Sega controllers.

Looks good. :)

EDIT: So where's the on-off switch in your configuration? On the wire or on the box?

Edited by Pixelboy

Well the power supply problem is fixed. Here's a pic of the test setup. "You'll have to forgive the crudity of this model, I didn't have time to build it to scale, or to paint it." (name that quote)

Well, you're the Colecovision doc, Doc... now how about getting me back to the future? :P

Well, you're the Colecovision doc, Doc... now how about getting me back to the future? :P

Nice pick up! :cool:

@ Pixelboy - In the test setup the "switch" is simply pluging in the power supply to the bank of outlets on the wall. I was going for the simplest set up to verify it would work.

@ Pixelboy - In the test setup the "switch" is simply pluging in the power supply to the bank of outlets on the wall. I was going for the simplest set up to verify it would work.

Alright, allow me to rephrase: So where will the on-off switch be located in your final configuration? On the wire or on the box? :) I would guess the length of the wires is a factor. If the power supply box is supposed to rest on the ground, then the wire between the box and the Memory Console will have to be fairly long, and this implies that the best position for the on-off switch should normally be on the wire, just a few inches away from the Memory Console power plug.

I know this is all rather obvious, but I'm just giving you my vision of it. :)

Yeah I'm not sure, I was thinking about that last night. ColecoVision and Adam Game power supplies have 3 power lines:

+12V

+5V

-5V

The switch on the ColecoVision (and the Adam Game PS I made for you) connects/disconnects the +12V and +5V lines. Thus leaving the AC to the power supply itself, and the PS's -5V line live all the time. The Adam power supplies have 4 power lines:

+12V

+12V

+5V

-5V

The switch on the rear of the Adam connects/disconnects the AC into the power supply. So there would be 3 ways to do it with this new Adam power supply

1) A switch on the power supply which would be set near the console (making the switch accessible) which would connect/disconnect the AC lines.

2) A remote switch off of the power supply made to be set near the console which would connect/disconnect the AC lines. This switch would need to be wired back to the power supply.

3) A remote switch inline with the DC cord going to the console with a 3-4 pole power switch to connect/disconnect at least the +12V, +12V, and +5V lines.

FYI Here is the EVE PS-1 for those who have never seen it.

Seems to work ok for me except there is some kind of minor intermittent interference on my monitor when I use it. Not being the techie type, it just occurs to me that it maybe isnt putting out the full juice it should. (?)

HPIM0103.JPG

HPIM0104.JPG