IGNORED

First computer?

hellrazor

My first computer was the Atari 800XL with the 1050 disk drive and an okidata okimate printer

I would spend hours and hours typing in basic programs from Kpower, Compute or Family Computing magazine to find out they didn't work. Then spend forever trying to find out where I had messed up typing it in.

Does this count? An Atari VCS with BASIC programming cart. My dreams of programming my own games in BASIC were dashed in about 5 minutes when I realized how little RAM it had. I eventually convinced my parents to buy me a 400 with 410 program recorder. Had a lot of fun with that until I saved up enough to get an Apple IIe with floppy dive.

Does this count? An Atari VCS with BASIC programming cart. My dreams of programming my own games in BASIC were dashed in about 5 minutes when I realized how little RAM it had. I eventually convinced my parents to buy me a 400 with 410 program recorder. Had a lot of fun with that until I saved up enough to get an Apple IIe with floppy dive.

C'mon, 63 bytes is huge! :lol:

Well,

my first computer was an Atari 800XL which I got (together with my older brother) at XMAS 1984. The 1010 program recorder came in May or June 1985, so we got six months with typing-in various programs and whenever we turned off the A8, the programs were gone forever...

This 800XL computer got several upgrades (e.g. Megaram-2 enhanced to 512k RAM upgrade, S-video upgrade, OLD-OS upgrade and almost a stereo upgrade). Alas it "died" in 2009 when trying to upgrade it with stereo (the RAM upgrade got a short-circuit, also the motherboard where the RAM upgrade was connected to got a short-circuit, both were black and brown afterwards and unrepairable). But therefore I bought four alternative 800XL`s and already upgraded them with stereo, s-video and OLD-OS and one of them with 512k XRAM (the remaining three XL`s still need a RAM upgrade)...

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

First owned console: Philips Videopac G7000 (Magnavox Odyssey 2)

First computer: Sinclair ZX81

Second computer: Atari 130XE

Besides these I also used Philips P2000T, Sharp MZ700, Acorn Electron, BBC Micro, Sony MSX, VIC20, C64, CP/M and XT machines but all those are not interesting at all. Some of them I still have. Well, I have to say that the ZX81 still rocks! :-)