IGNORED

Jaguar should have had a mascot

Ite

I think it should have been Rayman. That was something new and fresh. A nice game and even more so if they had exclusive rights for it on the Jag but I guess it shouldn't be...

Rayman was NOT an Atari game but a UBI-Soft license to Atari for the Jaguar.

That ans UBI-Soft sold us out to Sony and Nintendo.

Major Havok should be the mascot anyway.

I think it should have been Rayman. That was something new and fresh. A nice game and even more so if they had exclusive rights for it on the Jag but I guess it shouldn't be...

Rayman was NOT an Atari game but a UBI-Soft license to Atari for the Jaguar.

That ans UBI-Soft sold us out to Sony and Nintendo.

Major Havok should be the mascot anyway.

Yes I know that is was not an Atari game but still think that it would have been a good mascot. And if it had been Atari exclusive it would have been fine. I don't think it needed to be a classic Atari thing. Look, the updates from old Atari classics were a good idea too but why rely only on that? There you had the new shiny 64 Bit Videogame with updates on Atari classics AND new cool games like Rayman, AvP and Iron Soldier...nothing wrong with that. They just needed more of the cool games :-) So having a platformer which looked and played really well that was not aviable on any other console might have been great mascot. But hey, that's just me ...

Bentley Bear rocks in Crystal Castles, used to love that game on the 2600 as a kid. Atari Karts features the gem eaters from C.C too, I forget what the character is called though.

I mean maybe the time had past for Atari to establish a major character. Sonic & Mario were old style 2-D platformers which were a few years old before the Jag came on the scene. Were Atari capable of dreaming up a new mascot from scratch? Did the world want to see a similar type game on such new technology? Probably not.

Shame they was such a huge console gap from the 7800 and XE to the Jaguar. Mario was huge on the NES and Nintendo didn't have to do that much to the game for it to appear on the SNES. The 7800 couldn't do anything like Mario Bros and it's unimpressive range of titles meant they were no real canditates to do something similar. If you did pick a character, I doubt if anyone would have known of its Atari heritage.

I mean you could have done Pacman, but I doubt the world wanted to see 64-Bit Pacman in 1993!

People would probably be ignorant to Bentley too, but appearing in one of my fav games would have been great for me at least!

Guys,

Atari had played around with the idea of a mascot or other strong character association with the platform and in-house designers had drawn up various draft ideas, but none were adopted.

I actually like the Jaguar cat used in one of the ads, but a good pack-in game with that or any other character and a long-term promotional campaign would have been needed at launch and not mid-way through its shelf life.

Karl

In the ending screen of Trevor McFur, there are some lines of text, with one line saying something like "Trevor McFur is now a household name".

I don't know exactly what this means, since English isn't my native language, but maybe were they referring to Trevor being a mascotte?

The 7800 couldn't do anything like Mario Bros

Funny, I'm playing Mario Bros on my 7800. :P

Oh you probably mean Super Mario Brothers. As has been debated many times in the 7800 forum, there's a big difference between "couldn't" (ie. technically impossible) and "typically didn't". Scrapyard Dog is something like (Super) Mario but not really a mascot type character. The dog would have been better than the owner, but he wasn't the star of the game.

In the ending screen of Trevor McFur, there are some lines of text, with one line saying something like "Trevor McFur is now a household name".

I don't know exactly what this means, since English isn't my native language, but maybe were they referring to Trevor being a mascotte?

Weren't there some early online conferences with Don Thomas where he essentially called Trevor an initial mascott?

I think Atari kind of had a couple of them, but none of them were ever really that big. I think for the Jaguar, I'd have to say it was probably that bear. They had that bear as one of the characters in Atari Karts, and I remember seeing him in a couple of other games (although they totally escape me right now).

I think Atari kind of had a couple of them, but none of them were ever really that big. I think for the Jaguar, I'd have to say it was probably that bear. They had that bear as one of the characters in Atari Karts, and I remember seeing him in a couple of other games (although they totally escape me right now).

Bently Bear of Crystal Castles.