IGNORED

Handhelds, still second class citizens?

Miqorz

Don’t knock the DS! I enjoy playing GTA: Liberty City Stories on my DS. It’s like they crammed the entire original game in there. And God of War too! Amazing. I also enjoy the DS library of more “adult” fare. It’s like Nintendo sees that their library doesn’t need to appear solely to kids.

I’ve also been ripping a lot of DVDs and placing them on my DS too. Nothing like watching Tron, Joysticks, and my collection of Automan episodes on a handheld device. When I travel, I love the DS ability to act as an MP3 player too.

Yup, the DS is certainly versatile.

/sarcasm

//adding fuel to the DS/PSP fire

;)

What I like most about the PSP is it's sleep mode, that automatically starts up between levels, before and after cinemas, and even sometimes company logos, - it's like it's telling me to take a break from gaming. Call a friend. Make supper. Rest my eyes before I go blind. The PSP loves me, in a way that the DS simply can't. The DS is all like "Play with me now!", and our sessions can go for hours at a time without a break in the action...I simply haven't got that kind of stamina...

Edited by A Sprite

Has it ever occured to you that some people don't like Socom, or Untold Legends, or yes, even Grand Theft Auto? The great thing about the Nintendo DS is that it distances itself from all those industry fads and provides players with a unique gaming experience.
And on top of that, the DS has about a million "tradional" gaming experiences - Castlevania, Final Fantasy, RTSs, turn-based strategy, shooters, etc. Of course, there are more "full console" type games on the PSP, but I think a lot of people don't really want to play those on the go. If I want to play Socom or Madden, I'll do it on my big TV with a real controller. When I do play portable games, I usually want something a little different. Each system has their own strengths, it depends on what you want out of a portable. Which is why it's great to have two very different handhelds that each offer something good.

The system is INFINITELY better than the DS in every aspect of gaming,
Except in price, durability, size, battery life and most importantly by a wide margin, selection of games I want to play. ;) Edited by BydoEmpire

Each system has their own strengths, it depends on what you want out of a portable. Which is why it's great to have two very different handhelds that each offer something good.

The thing is, gaming has devloped a diverse enough fan base to support multiple styles of gaming. DS is more kid/classic oriented, while PSP is more console/mainstream. I'm a bit more of a PSP guy myself. Between Disgaea, FF Tactics and Moster Hunter Freedom 2, I'm fairly happy with it. I got rid of the DS after playing Advance Wars and the CV games. That's all there was I cared about.

My main gripe is that NEITHER of the systems give me what I want out of a portable game console. I don't like the DS much due to all of the kiddie, saturday morning anime crap and cutesy Nintendo stuff. I like the more adult themed PSP stuff occasionally, but I get very annoyed with all the shoddy console ports and carbon-copy 'me too' knockoffs. For every great PSP game like Monster Hunter or Patapon, there are twenty shitty RPGs or crappy FPS games.

What I really want is a portable system with a library of good, portable, games that neither pander to the kiddies nor rehash tired console genres like GTA. They need to devlop genres that are designed to take advantage of portability. You can see the DS starting to do some of this with WiFI access and whatnot, but it's still not there yet. Until that day comes, handhelds will always be a distant second place, at least to me.

Each system has their own strengths, it depends on what you want out of a portable. Which is why it's great to have two very different handhelds that each offer something good.

The thing is, gaming has devloped a diverse enough fan base to support multiple styles of gaming. DS is more kid/classic oriented, while PSP is more console/mainstream. I'm a bit more of a PSP guy myself. Between Disgaea, FF Tactics and Moster Hunter Freedom 2, I'm fairly happy with it. I got rid of the DS after playing Advance Wars and the CV games. That's all there was I cared about.

My main gripe is that NEITHER of the systems give me what I want out of a portable game console. I don't like the DS much due to all of the kiddie, saturday morning anime crap and cutesy Nintendo stuff. I like the more adult themed PSP stuff occasionally, but I get very annoyed with all the shoddy console ports and carbon-copy 'me too' knockoffs. For every great PSP game like Monster Hunter or Patapon, there are twenty shitty RPGs or crappy FPS games.

What I really want is a portable system with a library of good, portable, games that neither pander to the kiddies nor rehash tired console genres like GTA. They need to devlop genres that are designed to take advantage of portability. You can see the DS starting to do some of this with WiFI access and whatnot, but it's still not there yet. Until that day comes, handhelds will always be a distant second place, at least to me.

DS is casual oriented (which is different from "kiddie" oriented) and still gets games aimed at children, but the DS has been getting more and more hardcore oriented games. With games like Tony Hawk's Proving Ground, Ninja Gaiden, Advance Wars Days of Ruin, Etrian Odyessy, Nanostray 2, Hotel Dusk, and Contra 4, I'm surprised the DS is still being stereotyped as a "kiddie" system. DS is getting sequels to Trauma Center and Etrian Odyessy (the latter of which is out in Japan). Even Disgaea is coming to the DS.

Edited by BrianC

The system is INFINITELY better than the DS in every aspect of gaming, functionality, and over all bells and whistles.

As long as you dont care about battery life, game selection, durability, and price, sure. The price alone, I can buy a device that lets the DS do all the movie/mp3 crap the PSP has built in, and I still have money left over :P

Personally, I'm kinda dissappointed in both really. I still love the GBA, the DS want's to much touching and blowing involved, but it's awesome when they don't try to make use of every damn weird feature it has. And the PSP is escentually a portable console, minus a second stick if they had that second stick...it would have been perfect, but as is, any of the console look alikes...I'll pass on, cause it doesn't work properly in most cases.

i'm done with the thread as everybody knows, I'm a huge PSP fanboy. I will end my participation in this thread on this note. What the f*** is wrong with people?? The system is INFINITELY better than the DS in every aspect of gaming, functionality, and over all bells and whistles. And hell, with Nintendo in general lately, the next handheld they release probably won't even match the capability of the PSP.

Actually the PSP is just different to the DS, I have both, and enjoy both, although for original games the DS is my favorite

, but the PSP wins on emulation- although that is not brilliant in many cases :|

If the PSP had a keyboard to use on the interweb instead of soooo many key presses, and a paddle controller it may become my favorite

i'm done with the thread as everybody knows, I'm a huge PSP fanboy. I will end my participation in this thread on this note. What the f*** is wrong with people?? The system is INFINITELY better than the DS in every aspect of gaming, functionality, and over all bells and whistles. And hell, with Nintendo in general lately, the next handheld they release probably won't even match the capability of the PSP.

Actually the PSP is just different to the DS, I have both, and enjoy both, although for original games the DS is my favorite

, but the PSP wins on emulation- although that is not brilliant in many cases :|

If the PSP had a keyboard to use on the interweb instead of soooo many key presses, and a paddle controller it may become my favorite

The Targus infrared keyboard works great on the PSP.