IGNORED

Actionuats price tag ?

rob fulop

Actionauts pricing  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Should the author of a new 2600 release be paid for their time spent?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What is a reasonable monthly salary for a 2600 designer to earn?

• $2K per month
    • $3K per month
    • $4K per month
    • $5K per month
    • $6k per month
    • $7k per month
    • 0 - they should not be paid for their time

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Dude, what is your problem? Him releasing this game to the public is not a "Very Stupid Mistake" at all. You are showing extreme disrespect. Even if this was not Rob Fulop you're comments have been out of line. This guy is a legend, and has made some of the greatest games on the Atari 2600. We don't have many original programmers working with the community as it is. And with this type of treatment I doubt many more will show up.

/signed

It's not 1979. No one is paying you a 'real' salary to program for the VCS with the idea the money will be recouped through millions of sales. Your game is not going to sell millions. Realistically you'll sell them all for between $50-$75 each so price it in that range. You can't expect a real salary for a niche hobby.

If that's not your worth your time, don't do it. It wouldn't break my heart not to play your game. There's tons of homebrews that are priced fairly for the community that many of us would be happy to support instead.

I don't consider 4K/ month a real salary .. not even close. Do you?

I think there are probably a lot of in here that would love to have 4k per month. Mabe your in a different world then we are.

I would love to buy a copy of this game but unfortunately for me even priced at $50 it is out of my price range. I am in the military and don't even make 4k a month. It is more like 2.8k a month. I also have a wife and 2 kids to take care of. On top of that I am on an island in Alaska so prices for everything is inflated drasticly. The cost of living is probably just as expensive if not more in AK, then in California. FYI gas is $4.25 where I am and a combo meal at McDonalds costs over $10.

For the very same people who bugged me forever to release this game, to then turn around and publicly weep about my wishing to earn a fraction of my income for putting in the time and effort to do so occurs to me, frankly, as brutal a slap in the face as you can imagine. It makes me sorry to have bothered. Do you HONESTLY think the money I will earn here compensates me for the time and effort involved? It's a token payment, at best. It's the smallest possible "thank you". And to have people begrudge the amount I've come to is just so insulting, it really is, okay? This whole discussion occurs to me as a perfect example of never a good deed going unpunished.

What is sad though is how Rob has turned this around so consistently to being an issue of people not appreciating his work enough (with dollars). And saying before that he wasn't offended, but now is clearly insulted and offended? Then don't ask the (_very_ loaded) question to begin with!

I don't think Rob "turned this around." He is human; I think that is how he actually feels about it. If you were in his shoes, wouldn't you feel the same way? I think I would. If I had the money, I would buy a copy just to say "thank you." Missile Command is still one of my favorite games.

I would love to buy a copy of this game but unfortunately for me even priced at $50 it is out of my price range. I am in the military and don't even make 4k a month. It is more like 2.8k a month. I also have a wife and 2 kids to take care of. On top of that I am on an island in Alaska so prices for everything is inflated drasticly. The cost of living is probably just as expensive if not more in AK, then in California. FYI gas is $4.25 where I am and a combo meal at McDonalds costs over $10.

Email me your info and I'll send you a signed copy. My website is www.robfulop.com. After this discussion, it looks like I'll have plenty remaining! I'll make the same offer to anybody else in the military.

Email me your info and I'll send you a signed copy. My website is www.robfulop.com. After this discussion, it looks like I'll have plenty remaining! I'll make the same offer to anybody else in the military.

Now that's respectful. People in our military deserve to catch something good once in a while. You for whats its worth just gained my respect.

I don't consider 4K/ month a real salary .. not even close. Do you?

Some of us don't have the good fortune making that kind of money.

I'd love to make 4K per month. I've been working in education at the same place for the last 14 years, and still don't make that much. Not even close. It will be years before my meager annual increases will get me up to that level.

:thumbsup:

rick

Really? I was recently in London paying 4 British pounds for a latte ... which is like $10 US! If the majority of people in the UK don't make $4K US per month, how do they survive? Maybe London prices are not 'typical' .. I dunno.

Indeed they are not... I'd say London was like California in many ways. The average national earnings in the UK I believe is 24k GBP (or just under US$50k). However that's just the average... I'd say roughly 60-65% of the population earn less than this, it's the high earners pushing the average up and a lot of them are in the south east or London area. My mortgage for a 3 bedroom apartment (that I share with my brother) costs 1100 GBP per month (or US$2200 or so) and it's a modest size (perhaps 600 square feet of area or so). What that payment per month could get you in parts of the US I shudder to think... but around where I live you'd struggle to find anywhere decent even one bedroom wise for under US$250k... that's house prices for starters.

Good to see that Actionauts is finally going to be released after 5+ years. http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17549

The $79.99 price seems fair to me, considering its history. Now will you be compensated fairly for your time? It's a sunk cost, so don't worry about it. You could not release it and get compensated like an unemployed Jack in the Box assistant manager.

I've never purchased any of the prototype reproductions but own over 30 homebrews. What piqued my interest in this game was this information from another AA thread:

"With the help of John Payson, we decided to go ahead and clean up some of the code in the game. One thing led to another, a few bugs were swatted, remaining memory was surveyed, and we decided to add some new levels to the original game. At this point the game is done and we are waiting for our friends at Atari Age to get us the first run of production carts.All in all, I think the current game provides a significantly better play experience now then it did when I first decided to release the game late last year."

Is this true? If so, I am definitely interested in purchasing it. Thought I would still like to see or hear a review of the game from a trusted source before I make my decision.

This is a very nice offer. Although I am not in the military, I am still some what interested, as I have never herd of this game. Can you post screenshots?

Good to see that Actionauts is finally going to be released after 5+ years. http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17549

The $79.99 price seems fair to me, considering its history. Now will you be compensated fairly for your time? It's a sunk cost, so don't worry about it. You could not release it and get compensated like an unemployed Jack in the Box assistant manager.

I've never purchased any of the prototype reproductions but own over 30 homebrews. What piqued my interest in this game was this information from another AA thread:

"With the help of John Payson, we decided to go ahead and clean up some of the code in the game. One thing led to another, a few bugs were swatted, remaining memory was surveyed, and we decided to add some new levels to the original game. At this point the game is done and we are waiting for our friends at Atari Age to get us the first run of production carts.All in all, I think the current game provides a significantly better play experience now then it did when I first decided to release the game late last year."

Is this true? If so, I am definitely interested in purchasing it. Thought I would still like to see or hear a review of the game from a trusted source before I make my decision.

http://robfulop.com/blog/test-faq/actionau...scott-stilphen/

I'd love to make 4K per month. I've been working in education at the same place for the last 14 years, and still don't make that much. Not even close. It will be years before my meager annual increases will get me up to that level.

Man, tell me about it! I'm finally finishing my PhD this year and last month, despite this lousy economy, I have been fortunate enough to secure a tenure-track Assistant Professor position beginning this fall that is going to pay $43,000 a year (which will be the highest yearly salary I've made in my life), which indeed is an increase over the $35,000 I've been getting as only an instructor, but of course once I graduate then my student loan repayments (I'm right around $80,000, having put myself through both an MA and PhD program) will kick in (working at public universities means my salary is part of public record, so I'm okay with talking about it). I'm doing what I like (so I really don't look at teaching as a job, except on those days when the students aren't doing their work), and I made this career choice more or less consciously, so I don't begrudge anybody else for making different occupational choices and making more money (based on what various industries and/or societies ascribe value to). [i hope this isn't too off-topic considering a lot of this thread is dealing with money/salary issues.]

Yeah, I collect video games, but I consider myself a player first, and I just like to play the games. I prefer to have the original artifact (cartridge, disc, whatever, and preferably complete) because that's the collector in me (and I appreciate the historical side of gaming, too), but the player side just appreciates the fun that the games bring. (And sometimes I definitely need some fun after a day of teaching.) I got back into collecting Atari because of the games and the fun. (Call me a video game hedonist if you like.) I play all sorts of games across all different platforms and from different eras because of the fun. Most of the time I have to wait a bit for the price to come down on a new release, but mainly I try to purchase a legitimate version whenever I can.

I hope all your games bring you fun times.

This conversation has degenerated fast as they normally do in these parts. The AA Community is an empassioned and very opinionated lot.

Bottom line I suppose is that RF is bound only by the marketplace itself and the free market system so he may charge whatever he pleases for the game and that is 100% his right and my hat is off to him.

Also many of us cannot afford $100 dollars for an Atari game and it is our right to seek to buy the game or to not seek a purchase. I hope no one has gotten hurt feelings from this thread on either side. All involved in the to and fro are good people but opinionated people nonetheless.

WP

I'd like to thank Mr. Fulop for both taking the time to release Actionauts, and of course, for the classic games that I've enjoyed both as a child and an adult. Night Driver, Missile Command, Demon Attack, Cosmic Ark, Fathom, and Cubicolor are all fantastic games, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the release of his last 2600 game.

Let's remember that Mr. Fulop wasn't even close to adequately compensated by Atari for his early hits. And he's understandably a bit upset that his last release to the community now fetches 20x what he offered it for that he doesn't see a penny of.

80$ seems a reasonable price for an previously unreleased, boxed, and completely playable game, released by one of the superstars of 1980's Atari 2600 programming... especially considering that it was polished up before release. It's around the price of one of the rarer 2600 games loose, or a somewhat less rare one boxed... a price many of us have paid for games in our collection. Yes, it's a bit of a premium for what we're used to paying for new Atari 2600 releases, but it should be looked at as the one-of-a-kind release that it is.

It's understandable that for those that money is tight that the high price is a disappointment. It's also understandable that some of those who have recently created wonderful 2600 games and sold them for considerably less are a bit puzzled. But let's please not make Mr. Fulop feel that his efforts to bring us a top quality release of his last 2600 game are in vain.

Again, many, many thanks to Rob Fulop for this release!

Thanks, I did read that before I posted. I know of him but I have not relied on his opinions before making a purchase. This is because I don't know what his opinions are. He hasn't posted here at AA since about 2003 or so.

But don't worry about finding another reviewer just for me. I might wait until the first batch of carts has been sent out and someone here posts about how the game plays. I realize that I could miss out on the game by doing this.

You didn't answer my other question. Have you improved this game from what was done in the early 80's?

I have signed up for your mailing list now. But the more detailed information you put out in public on this game, either on your web site or here at AA, the more likely you will get more people to buy your game.

Thanks, I did read that before I posted. I know of him but I have not relied on his opinions before making a purchase. This is because I don't know what his opinions are. He hasn't posted here at AA since about 2003 or so.

But don't worry about finding another reviewer just for me. I might wait until the first batch of carts has been sent out and someone here posts about how the game plays. I realize that I could miss out on the game by doing this.

You didn't answer my other question. Have you improved this game from what was done in the early 80's?

I have signed up for your mailing list now. But the more detailed information you put out in public on this game, either on your web site or here at AA, the more likely you will get more people to buy your game.

Yes, available memory was filled with extra levels, bugs were swatted, and the screen display was tidied up.

Rob, I have appreciated your games that you have made in the past. After reading all the posts on this topic, it makes me very sad. While I was signed up to buy this game when it came out, I can't at the price of $75+ dollars. Heck, I rarely spend that much on a current console game, let alone a homebrew one. The simple truth is that I am a game collector and hobbist on a budget. I am a school counselor and work with troubled youth for my job paid for by United Way, with a pregnant wife. Bottom line is that I collect and play on a budget, and the reason I first started collecting. I want to support the homebrew community, which has made several great products and reproductions over the years. I respect your decision to release it at $79 , but it will your sales. Many like myself just can't afford that for an unknown game...I dont care if God himself made it. I know that it probably wont happen, but having a combiniation of 1. Low numbered boxed and signed copies on ebay 2. Higher numbered and signed boxed copies sold directly 3. Cart only unnumbered copies is the best way to go. People collect for alot of different reasons and all collectors have different budgets. Mine is tight so I am going to have to decline. Thanks, John

Edited by swlovinist

While the price is high, I don't have a problem with it considering what it is. It is a classic era game that has been finished by the original programmer and comes complete with a box.

I look at it like this, It's the same price tag you would pay for any other higher end current game at wal-fart. I think $79.99 is fine considering what our getting for your money. I've bought my fair share of $80 dollar titles at the store and in the after market over the last 20 years, and this game is gonna be yet another one to add to the list of games I dropped a bill on.

Edited by Shawn Sr.