IGNORED

Visual bB 1.0 - a new IDE for batari Basic

jwierer

• 3 months later...

Hey, I am trying to use visual batari Basic. However, I continue to get this error: invalidargument=value of '1' is not valid for 'index' after using the configuration index. I am not sure how to fix this problem, but I would love any help that could be offered to me. While I am no code monkey I can understand basic instructions and I can input code if required.

OK, it turns out that I have many more problems that, if possible, I would love some help with. Ok so I set the paths to my emulator, the 2600basic program and the batch version of it. But in the message box it keeps telling me: System path does not include C:\Users\Public\Documents\VisualbB_1.0_Build_554\batari_Basic_version_1.0

Precompilation failed, aborted at 4/17/2016 7:44:40 AM. Please Help Me!

Since you did not note versions and locations and enough info, only things to help are:

A. Start over. Read: http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#gettingstarted

B. Install RevEng bB which covers bB 1.0 kernel with its variations and the multisprite kernel to the DPC+ kernel.

C. I personally recommend installing bB at root C: Use C:\Atari2600\bB Folders named with 8 simple letters or less, (this is a command line DOS program) as in the original guides to set up batari Basic when it was first released: http://bataribasic.com/install.html But again, use the latest bB program from RevEng. No complicated paths and underscores, periods, etc. Use those long detailed complicated naming for code file versions and make many version and saves between code changes many times daily because you will need to revert back to when a version compiled successfully and runs properly on the 2600 before new added code mistake broke the compile or running bin and tracking down what is now wrong may be near impossible. I break my working bB code all the time and it could be something like a space, or a comma not a period or a period and not a comma, and so on.
D. Then get VisualbB. I use the latest Version 556 found in the Blog section: http://atariage.com/forums/blog/302/entry-9759-small-update-for-visualbb/

OK, it turns out that I have many more problems that, if possible, I would love some help with. Ok so I set the paths to my emulator, the 2600basic program and the batch version of it. But in the message box it keeps telling me: System path does not include C:\Users\Public\Documents\VisualbB_1.0_Build_554\batari_Basic_version_1.0
Precompilation failed, aborted at 4/17/2016 7:44:40 AM. Please Help Me!

Edited by iesposta

Um I dont understand what Install RevEng bB which covers bB 1.0 kernel with its variations and the multisprite kernel to the DPC+ kernel. means. I can do all of the other steps and comprehend them. However, I font know what a multisprite kernel is. I was also just wondering, is this step a requirement?

Oh wait, did you mean just download the updated program?

Yes. In the first link.

It includes many fixes, and allows you to code all the various kernels from the original 1.0 kernel programs to kernels that make 64K size games, to the cutting edge DPC+ kernel programs.

My FLAPPY program was in the older bB 1.0 Multisprite kernel option in 4K, and my DK Arcade 2600 team and I used the same RevEng version to make this with bB 1.1 DPC+ kernel. Links are below in my signature.

The first goal is to get the latest batari Basic installed properly.

"InvalidArgument=Value of '2' is not valid for 'index'."

I'm a Mac computer user.

Only use Windows 7 for Future Pinball and Visual bB, and for utilities that are Windows based.

And now I use JEdit on Mac for batari Basic coding and compiling and testing in the Stella emulator.

That error happened to another long-gone user here, and no solution was posted except:

It's a pretty innocuous error, though I could see that being annoying. Given what it says it happens when it's closing and trying to save settings back to the registry