IGNORED

Startropics (NES) is not for me

StanJr

Well it is not. I have tried thrice to "get into" this game and I just cannot make it happen. There is too much "my first Zelda" going on and too much "do over" to make even the challenging parts fun.

Oh sure, the graphics are great and the game is packed with color and jaunty tunes, but I remember the hype over this thing being like the second coming. "This is the new Zelda," "it's the greatest adventure game, it's like Mario and Zelda had twins," etc. I have to say, maybe it is the years, but this thing ain't all that great.

The dungeon puzzles are interesting, the concept and themes are nice, but the execution is terrible. There is absolutely NO free roaming of any kind. They may as well move you around the world map automatically, and sometimes do. The movement inside the dungeons is really stiff and jumping on and off those platforms becomes very tedious, especially since you'll be doing it over and over thanks to a 3 life limit and a "start over from the beginning or near to it" system of respawn. You do not get to carry over any items you pick up in a dungeon, even from life to life orto the next dungeon within a chapter! There appears to be absolutely NO interest in developing Mike as a character. Ugh. The whole thing is boresville.

Can anyone out there defend this game beyond 1990? It may have been the nuts for 1990, but it is intolerable dreck in 2008.

Eh, it was ok when I first played it. Nothing too memorable, though I do remember it being quite difficult towards the end. I believe I played the first and second ST games back to back, and seem to remember enjoying the second one more. I dunno, though, that was like damn near 20 years ago and this ol' man has brain damage.

I hate the NES, but I love the two ST games. I sold my NES a couple weeks ago, but I kept these games, just in case. I can't even pretend to be into the orignal Zelda. ST is more action oriented than Zelda, with less pointless wandering.

Edited by Atarifever

This game was supposed to be one of the best titles on the NES... even when it was new, it was hyped like crazy. It wasn't hard to see why, the game looked badass. Still, I've never had a chance to play it. I suppose the next time I see a cart for $5, I should grab it.