IGNORED

For the ColecoVision: Frantic

ScottHuggins

Played this on my linux machine tonight and thought it was GREAT! Jboy sent me a PM to check this out. I'm VERY impressed. (Might have to drop a word on it on our ep 3 of th podcast too!) Keep up the good work and look forward to some of the tweaks on the next version.

I'm just curious being that you captured the animation from an avi. How do you handle "moving" objects. I've been trying to do something similar with various games where the animated character moves using a GIF animator program.

I use a screen capture program at work(the name I can't think of at the moment) that lets me make a movie of anything happening on screen. I brought the movie into After Effects and just went frame by frame putting the pixels into the right spots in ICVGM303, a graphics editor for the CV that I think Daniel Bienvenu came up with. It wasn't captured as an AVI and put directly into the program, I just used the AVI as a reference. Sorry if that wasn't clear in the other post.

Played this on my linux machine tonight and thought it was GREAT! Jboy sent me a PM to check this out. I'm VERY impressed. (Might have to drop a word on it on our ep 3 of th podcast too!) Keep up the good work and look forward to some of the tweaks on the next version.

Glad you like it!

On another note...

I have to get to work on the box/manual/labels. I've been lazy about it.

OK, I checked the player sprites and the only ones that don't match up to the Frenzy ones while running are when the player is standing still. I made his feet 1 pixel too long when he's facing left or right so Scott when you get a chance, lop off 1 pixel from his feet when he's standing still. I can send a new DAT if that is confusing.

dalum,

Thanks!!! I have your second episode podcast to check out. I will give you feedback on it.

shannon,

Well, when they respawn, they gradually take form... when that's happening, you can go through the robots. Once they take full shape, yea, you will die if you come into contact with them. Maybe the respawn process could be drawn out longer? I'll check into that.

shannon,

Well, when they respawn, they gradually take form... when that's happening, you can go through the robots. Once they take full shape, yea, you will die if you come into contact with them. Maybe the respawn process could be drawn out longer? I'll check into that.

Good call! Dragging it out a second longer would help. I get killed from regeneration a lot too. :D

Well the only issue is alot of times when they respawned I was standing still cause I was waiting for something (like a laser beam to pass) so I could move again. I suppose moving in another direction and shooting them after they appear would be the thing for me to do. I cannot remember if I was pinned down at the time though.

Shannon,

Your suggestion was very good. I will implement a slower respawn. I think that will help... I hope so at least.

Joe,

I like those - they are very "final". Very abrupt. Sparse, but it works, but they look like a DVD cover for a horror movie. Some sort of creepy, scary thing. Some Stephen King movie.

nognir

Wooooohooooooo! Glad you got a working CV! Now let the fun begin! Go to the classic gaming forum. A lot of threads have been posted about the best CV games to buy.

Edited by ScottHuggins

shannon,

Good call! Dragging it out a second longer would help. I get killed from regeneration a lot too. :D

Awesome. I like this game !

Maybe a regeneration of say 16 seconds to start with. Then with later levels decreasing to these 8 seconds or so ?

:)

Joe,

I like those - they are very "final". Very abrupt. Sparse, but it works, but they look like a DVD cover for a horror movie. Some sort of creepy, scary thing. Some Stephen King movie.

It's just a first swipe at it to get the juices flowing. My first versions are usually silhouette type old horror movie posters. I just dig that style. Which logo do you prefer the 3D one or the "cracked" one? I prefer the cracked one on the right but I might come up with something else based on the title screen version.

I played it on the real Colecovision with the USB multicart,

it is really good

yes, being able to skip the beginning intro screen could be good

and yes sometimes it is unfair, I appear between 2 laser beams and an appearing robot

I know that on one occasion, a robot laser went right through me while I was walking

Sweet! Thanks, lucifershalo. I hadn't had a chance to test on 'real thing' yet. Joe, some of those lasers on level one are in 'tough' spots. I think he is right. I will make a note of that. And yes, the collision detection with those lasers are somewhat "suspect". I am actively trying to figure that one out.

Next version (should be early next week) should address that bug and will incorporate several of the suggestions made thus far. Thanks so much to everyone for the feedback. (and please keep it coming!)

I played it on the real Colecovision with the USB multicart,

it is really good

yes, being able to skip the beginning intro screen could be good

and yes sometimes it is unfair, I appear between 2 laser beams and an appearing robot

I know that on one occasion, a robot laser went right through me while I was walking

Yeah there's one screen in particular where the cannon fires straight down into you when you appear. I guess we could move it over 1 or 2 spaces to make it more fair. PM me the screen locations where the player can appear and I'll go through the screens and move them.

Edited by joeybastard

It's pretty good... definitely one of the best ColecoVision homebrews I've played that wasn't designed by Eduardo Mello.

There are a few things I would change, though. The characters may actually be too detailed... I've found that this doesn't work so well with single colored sprites, as they start to look like random inkblots if the artwork isn't kept simple. Also, I didn't really know where the prisoners were until I accidentally nicked one of the orbs in the maze with a bullet. I think they should be sealed inside a cage instead; something that's closer to their size and would make it clear where the prisoners are being held. Finally, I agree with the previous poster about the sound effects. They're pretty high-pitched, and I'd like to hear more original effects and fewer stock sounds from other ColecoVision games.

Jess,

Thanks a ton for the comments. I really appreciate it. I think your coleco review site is great and I wish you'd review some of the more recent homebrews on your site. There are at least 8 off the top of my head that are missing from it.

>They're pretty high-pitched, and I'd like to hear more original effects and fewer stock sounds from other ColecoVision games.

To be fair...those "stock" sounds were tweaked a bit...I guess not enough though. And there are two sound effects / music that we did come up with completely on our own. Well, any ideas for examples (does not have to be from CV games...any game) ? People mentioned that there needs to be more tension in the sounds / music. I guess I'm struggling thinking of examples or what "tension" sounds like. I don't disagree, I am just not sure how to approach this.

Thanks again.

It's pretty good... definitely one of the best ColecoVision homebrews I've played that wasn't designed by Eduardo Mello.

There are a few things I would change, though. The characters may actually be too detailed... I've found that this doesn't work so well with single colored sprites, as they start to look like random inkblots if the artwork isn't kept simple. Also, I didn't really know where the prisoners were until I accidentally nicked one of the orbs in the maze with a bullet. I think they should be sealed inside a cage instead; something that's closer to their size and would make it clear where the prisoners are being held. Finally, I agree with the previous poster about the sound effects. They're pretty high-pitched, and I'd like to hear more original effects and fewer stock sounds from other ColecoVision games.

Also, I didn't really know where the prisoners were until I accidentally nicked one of the orbs in the maze with a bullet. I think they should be sealed inside a cage instead; something that's closer to their size and would make it clear where the prisoners are being held.

I like the orbs, but I also think they should be made bigger. I'm not sure if it's feasible graphically, but having the prisonners locked in a bubble in a fetal position would look cool. :)

Finally, I agree with the previous poster about the sound effects. They're pretty high-pitched, and I'd like to hear more original effects and fewer stock sounds from other ColecoVision games.

The only sound effect that irks me is the "shi-ling" sound (taken from Tapper IINM) when the chamber exit door opens. I'd change it to a lower gong-style sound.