IGNORED

When did you get your Atari Lynx + games and where?

Ataria51

Got my Lynx in 1999. I had just got back into Atari after college and with my career started. I was going to try to rebuild my 8-bit collection, but found a Lynx on ebay with some games for a great deal (like $45 or so). Nice nice. Soonafter I stumbled across a Jaguar in a store, the last of three in D/FW for $30 in the box. ST offers came my way, and the next year I got a 7800 given to me, so 1999/2000 were big Atari years for me.

I, too, got my Lynx at a used video game store, called Game Hits in Lansing, Mi. I had been an Atari fan since my first Atari computer, the 400, 410 cassette drive and BASIC cart when I was a wee laddy.

I had been playing my Jaguar for years, but never had any interest in the Lynx. But when I saw it in the window of Game Hits, back in 2000, I decided to go for it. It came with Shanghai, Ninja Gaiden and Rygar. I played all of those games like crazy!

My very first purchase on eBay was for a Lynx game, Klax, which started my eBay addiction.

Now I have 103 Lynx carts... I really only need Krazy Ace Mini Golf to have a complete collection.

I'm definitely glad I took the chance. :D

Cheers,

Smeg

Wow, seems you need some space for all collectables. I dont think I going to buy all as I know not many of them are even worth playing.. I guess It would end with you never play the games more then ones. :D Not either have I had a chance playing the Jaguar, but it seems like a realy good machine.

I hoped someone on this forum let me borrow their soon or else I think ill just buy one of those new PS3 instead. Haha. (Just kidding, got one)

Edited by Ataria51

I got mine X-mas 1992. Warbirds was my first game. I remember drooling over the game after seeing it in EGM (the Atari-paid insert, not actual content from the magazine). That and the prospect of playing Xybots at home sold me on it. My collection is stabilizing at around 40 games. Still need Shanghai, Electrocop, and a few other commons...

I got lucky one day and found a garage sale with an instant Lynx collection and I bought it all for $20!

(I live for moments like that- though they're few and far between.....)

The Lynx was one of the systems that I didn't buy when it was new. I was already too involved with the Sega Game Gear.

got my 1st one in 2001 in a thrift store in pasadena texas. I found my 2nd one in that same thrift store about a year ago.

Did you mean you buyed both versions or just one of them?

I thought about the second version latly. I dont own it, but maybe you can tell me why to buy it? I mean those days, even if it smaller it feelt as nerdy as the first version when I hold it.

One more thing, who owns the computer in your picture? Nice screen. :)

I got mine X-mas 1992. Warbirds was my first game. I remember drooling over the game after seeing it in EGM (the Atari-paid insert, not actual content from the magazine). That and the prospect of playing Xybots at home sold me on it. My collection is stabilizing at around 40 games. Still need Shanghai, Electrocop, and a few other commons...
Your the first one I ever heard bought the console without games..!

What I know it usually comes with Califorina Games atleast, thats what it did for my partner who owned mine before.

got my 1st one in 2001 in a thrift store in pasadena texas. I found my 2nd one in that same thrift store about a year ago.

Did you mean you buyed both versions or just one of them?

I thought about the second version latly. I dont own it, but maybe you can tell me why to buy it? I mean those days, even if it smaller it feelt as nerdy as the first version when I hold it.

One more thing, who owns the computer in your picture? Nice screen. :)

As far as my screen its not a computer. that is my 2600 system and my 32 inch lcd tv I play on. It did not work and I took it out of its case cleaned it up and put it in an old web tv casing and painted it. No buttons or switches on console either. they are all on an external remote that sits next to me on the couch. Both of the lynx systems I found were the II's. I had a origional at one time but I sold it a few months ago. The lynx 2 is just more comfortable to me. I think it may be a little better on batteries too.

Edited by midnight8

I live in Europe. I bought a big lot of games in the used-stuff market in my town (Naples, Italy) on 2004. An old unsold stock: about 150 games, most twins, all boxed, at about 20 Eur (today=$30). No console with them, unfortunately. Then, few days later, my uncle bought an Atari Lynx II for me, thru Ebay, at GBP 50.00 with other 11 games.

Then I sold all twins to a friend, 5 Eur per cartridge: good price for him ^_^ (that price was under the medium in the used market, so I think he also sold most of them at a higher price), but also for me!.

This was a very good business. Really, since I sold all twins I got my Atari Lynx II and games as a gift and something more :).

Anny

Edited by anny84

Now I have 103 Lynx carts...

Wow, seems you need some space for all collectables. I dont think I going to buy all as I know not many of them are even worth playing.. I guess It would end with you never play the games more then ones. :D

Luckily, the Lynx is one of the easier games to collect for, in terms of storage space. The boxes are small, fitting on a couple of shelves of my computer desk, and the cartridges all fit in a couple of binders; I use baseball card sheet holders, 9 to a sheet.

Originally, I only bought the Lynx games that were deemed as "good" or the types of games I like (which put me at around 75 games), but I got to a point where I realized it wouldn't take much to complete the collection, since most of what I needed were the common, cheap ones. I had some extra money at that point, so I started buying! :D

It's nice to have at least one, "complete" collection like that. There aren't a lot of systems you can do that for, really.

Cheers,

Smeg

I'm thinking I picked mine up around '98. I know I got it from Video Game Liquidators (I wonder if they're still around) before the became a strictly ebay-only store. I probably paid about $40 for it along with a copy of Qix and Rampage. I bought my second Lynx after my first one died and I think I paid the same for that. I think I got Slime World and Shanghai then.

I got the rest of my Lynxes when I bought around 10 defective ones from VGLQ (after they went strictly ebay) and managed to piece together about 4 completely working ones along with fixing my first Lynx. I picked up various games from Best Electronics during my trip to CA around 2001 and received a decent amount of games from a friend for my birthday a few years ago.

I might have bought some games from goatari and myatari in the past as well. I know myatari was where I purchased my ComLynx cable.

Atari did a test-market in california, and I did not want to take a chance that it would fail and the system not roll-out nationally, since I'd been following it in the mags (and being a big fan of epyx,) really wanted to play electrocop and blue lightning. So I had it pre-ordered and got one the day after the first batch arrived in california. Did my best to keep up on the games after that, sometimes driving 1-6 hours just to find a mall that had the games (especially in the later days of the system.)

I bought my Lynx through the Atari Stockholders Discount Sale in 1990. :cool: That was my graduation present along with Electrocop and Blue Lightning.

I remember bringing it to school to oohs and aaahs and trying to tell people it is NOT a Game Gear and it really was an Atari. :x

(The ignorant people at my school thought Atari went out of business back in 1984. Don't even get me started about the ST Desktop Publishing (DTP) system. :roll: Digressing... :) School Journalism Dept. (SJD): "We have to raise $10,000 for a Mac and laser printer for our school paper. Me:"Just buy an Atari ST DTP system with Spectre GCR for $3000." SJD:"Pfft! Stop peddling your stupid game machine to us!" They never got their Mac DTP system, but raised...yes, $3000 that was never spent. :( End of Digression.)

Back to the topic...so where did everyone else get their Lynx? :)

originally bought 1 when it was released ,had it about 6 mnths with at most about 8 games ,eventually sold it as i wanted a snes :)

then i caught the bug again about 18 mnths ago and i went a little crazy on Ebay :) ,i now have 2 Lynx 1s and 1 Lynx 2 and currently have 46 games.

Edited by xubidoo

I bought mine once Atari lowered the Price to $99, which I guess was around 1991-1992??? I bought it at Toys R Us, as they were one of the only places at the time that was carrying anything Atari related. I bought it and "Chips Challenge" and "Todd's Adventure in Slime World". I played Chips Challenge to death, and it is one of my favorite puzzle games to this day.

The Lynx I have is the Lynx I model, and I played it so much, the paint is totally worn off of the edges.

Hard to remember details..

A friend and I played her lynxes for a while in the middle 1990s. She gave me one for my birthday. I have since bought a couple of lynx II for $10 and $25. Dead, but easily fixed. And I now have around 40 games, some doubles.

Mostly from Arlington-EDS, Gamefellas in Austin, and some flea market/shows.

No one to connect with any more. But I do love playing the games. Electro Cop, Zarlor, Klax. I have some stuff on Handy.

Rick D.

• 1 month later...

a8maestro, we'll need to meet up and comlynx some Warbirds or Battlewheels, just like back in the user group days. :)

I got my first Lynx for Christmas in 1991, and immediately set out on getting every game I could get my hands on. I've since gone through about 5 different units (all Lynx IIs) and after shuffling away some of the games, I'm getting back to collecting for it. I've got around 40 games with a few dupes and looking for more.

I got mine in 1990 I believe. I was living in Spokane, WA (stationed at Fairchild AFB as a B-52 avionics tech) at the time. Atari had launched the Lynx in New York, a long ways away from Spokane. But I discovered that the Lynx was in the Sears catalog. I wasted no time and ordered one thru Sears. It finally showed up and I immediately went into the mall and started playing California Games. I had a few people stop and ask "what is that?"

I bought a few more of the games thru the Sears catalog. Eventually the Toys R Us in Spokane started carrying the games. I would routinely check the store and pick up a new game as they came in. I built the vast majority of my Lynx library thru Toys R Us.

Years later when Don Thomas posted on the newsgroups about Atari's fire sale of Lynx's and games I bought for my wife a Lynx II and games that we didn't have that were getting hard to find since most stores stopped carrying the Lynx.

Glenn

I got my first Lynx at a flea market outside of Tulsa, Oklahoma. I picked up an Entex Pacman 2 from the same guy and some loose carts as well. I was going to buy a Missile command cocktail and a Tempest from him, but those plans fell through.

Anyways, I was eye-balling the Lynx for a few visits, but did not really know anything about them. Then on the way to Lawton, I decided to stop by and get them. Inside a small glass case.... in the heat of a blistering sun, were two Lynx systems and a handful of games (Batman, Lemmings, Warbirds, the Chess game and a few others). One Lynx system appeared damaged because of the sun. Some of the plastic appeared to be warped from the heat. It was in direct sunlight, and magnified by the glass case it was in, so I figured it would not work. I talked to the guy, got a good deal and he gave me the damaged system for like $3 or so just to get rid of it.

I took them with pride, popped in Warbirds as my very first Lynx experience and have enjoyed it since then! I never had any intentions of really getting into it, but that weekend changed everything! Once I got home I realized I already got one of the harder to find games (Lemmings), so why not try for a whole set?! Seemed like a no brainer to me.

Then one day I ran across a guy selling something like 150 Lynx games. Some boxed, some not, etc. He had quite a few systems as well. So I thought, why not get it and get the games I need and part out the rest. I spent like $300-400 for that lot. I ended up with roughly 12 systems at that point. I then noticed the cart styles and started collecting the different cart styles as well. So I have the majority of the Flat, Ridged, and curved games now. A few of them are really tough to find. One I bought, and never got it in the mail (from Australia). So I parted out that lot after taking what I need, and made a nice profit from it.

Then I got another lot at a Game Exchange right before I left Tulsa. It was around 60 games. Some doubles. I ended up talking them down to about $2 a game. All of the manuals were there as well. I still love that deal.

Then I made a mistake right before leaving Tulsa. I sold off some games that I had boxed because I THOUGHT I had them loose. One of them: Super Asteroids and Missile Command was still sealed and I still have not been able to replace it. SIGH. Anyone have a loose one they want to sell me? I'll give you $20 shipped!

I only need a few more games on the commercially released side of the house. Granted some of the Songbird title could be considered commercially released, but I put them in another group. I'll get them eventually, but right now I need to finish this collection off. I have not done a lot with it lately due to my intrest in finishing up some things on my Atari list. Yep... starting to wrap up that Rarity 1-4 list finally. I think I'm under 50 games left now.

That's my story....

I bought my first Lynx on the first at the beginning of it's release, late 1989 or maybe early 90. I traveled about 1 hours ride to the place that had them on it's first release, other toy/game stores in the area didn't get them till a few months later. I remember at some places the clerks didn't even know that an Atari Lynx even was, but they pressured the Gameboy instead because their bosses told them to.

I also remember how dissapointing the Lynx's first year was... no new games for months and California Games was getting old quick. I did get Electrocop and Slime World early on too, my fav game was Xenophobe (far superior to the arcade game)

Sold it when the Lynx II came out :D

Edited by geosteve

• 3 months later...

I got my first Lynx (the original model) brand new in like 1990 at Electronic Boutique (EB games). I got the package that included California games and i got Blue lightning in the mail for free.

then a few years later the AC plug broke, so I sent it back to atari. They then said they would only replace, but with a LynxII.

I bought 2 or 3 games new probably, but almost all i have bought used from various video game stores around my state. The last games ive bought were last year Warbirds, Chips Challenge, and Steel tallons. Each were $5 or $8 each. I'm up to like 13 games now i think.

I got my LYNXII with an official carrying bag, 6 games and AC adapter for $40 from the local classifieds last year. She's in great shape and works like a champ. the system really blew me away as I wasn't expecting it to have so much processing power for a hand held of the late 80s! I remembered seeing the odd commercial or whatever back in the day about it but never played one until I got mine.