IGNORED

Big changes at Opcode Games

Which remainds me that I have a few games here in completed /almost completed state that you could release, as long as you manage to release the Memory Pack. Knightmare, Goonies, YAKF II, King's Valley, and maybe a few others...

Eduardo you big tease - seriously if these can be passed on to Luc and J-F to finalise their development and release that would be wonderful for the CV community as well as meaning that all your efforts will not have been in vain.

Edited by Ikrananka

Which remainds me that I have a few games here in completed /almost completed state that you could release, as long as you manage to release the Memory Pack. Knightmare, Goonies, YAKF II, King's Valley, and maybe a few others...

Eduardo you big tease - seriously if these can be passed on to Luc and J-F to finalise their development and release that would be wonderful for the CV community as well as meaning that all your efforts will not have been in vain.

Just to play a little more with everybody's hopes, dreams and expectations ( :P ) I'll be spending a few days at Eduardo's place next July, and we'll surely discuss those MemoryPack-dependent games. I was fortunate to have tried a number of them last summer, such as Knightmare, Goonies and King's Valley, and I must say they're a lot of fun, and there's not a whole lot of work left to do on them to turn them into proper release candidates. However, I do respect Eduardo's retirement, so I'm not going to push the issue if he doesn't feel like completing those ports. On the other hand, my position is clear: If Eduardo comes out of retirement just long enough to complete the work on his WIP games, you can be 100% sure that I will pull out all the stops to make the Memory Pack happen. That's a promise and a commitment from the new top guy at Opcode Games. :D

Just to play a little more with everybody's hopes, dreams and expectations ( :P ) I'll be spending a few days at Eduardo's place next July, and we'll surely discuss those MemoryPack-dependent games. I was fortunate to have tried a number of them last summer, such as Knightmare, Goonies and King's Valley, and I must say they're a lot of fun, and there's not a whole lot of work left to do on them to turn them into proper release candidates. However, I do respect Eduardo's retirement, so I'm not going to push the issue if he doesn't feel like completing those ports. On the other hand, my position is clear: If Eduardo comes out of retirement just long enough to complete the work on his WIP games, you can be 100% sure that I will pull out all the stops to make the Memory Pack happen. That's a promise and a commitment from the new top guy at Opcode Games. :D

Well said and thank you :D

Wow, this is quite a shock! I became friends with Eduardo shortly after Space Invaders Collection and have supported Eduardo and OpCode Games ever since.

Eduardo - I wish you the best of luck and success in your new endearors. :) I know you will do well in whatever path you take.

Luc - I also wish you continued success with OpCode Games. :)

Sorry to hear about this Eduardo. Obligations and responsibilities must certainly always prevail. Perhaps you may be interested in still contributing to the classic gaming community by sharing your vast programming knowledge and resources with other Colecovision fans.

Hi guys,

First of all, I would like to thank you for supporting me for so many years. It was an incredible ride, full of good memories and many friends. I can say it was probably one of best times in my life.

However, storm always come... and it changes you. I now have different priorities in life. Gaming is still there, but it just isn't as important as it used to be.

So I decided to retire, maybe for a while, maybe for good. Opcode Games is now in good hands. Luc is extremely dedicated and professional, and I am sure he will put Opcode Games back on track, and will provide all of you a much better service than I could even dream about.

I have a last assignment, though, that's to finish PMC. We are so close that it would be a shame to abort it now. And after PMC, who knows...

Well, thanks a lot again guys for all the support and friendship. Hopefully I will be still around for enjoy the forums and meet all the good friends here.

Btw. If you want to contact me, please use the Atariage private messaging as I hardly check my opcode email anymore. Oh, and if I still have any pending deals with any of you, please let me know. Lee, I apologize, I had completely forgotten about your MT. I will send it tomorrow morning. Ole, your games were already shipped. You should get them soon. Did I forget anyone? :)

Love you guys. See you around… :D

Eduardo

Thanks Eduardo.

If you are ever in Seattle again. Stop by.

-Lee

• 2 weeks later...
I can't speak for others, but for me, one big "demotivator" is the lack of good CV sound tools. The graphic tools are good enough, the C compilers available are good too, but while there are some nice sound tools out there (like CVDrum), from what I've seen there's very little available in terms of tools and docs that will let me code sound data the way *I* would like to, and beginner (and even more experienced) CV homebrewers are forced to dabbled in the dark until they find sound effects that are close enough to what they're looking for. Suppose I'd want to create a piece of music similar to the wonderful Spy Hunter theme, or the great music from Mr Do's Castle, how am I supposed to do that (regardless of my personal lack of expertise in music in general)?

Atari 2600 games can get by on basic sound effects because it's mostly expected, but the CV's more advanced sound chip sets the bar higher for CV homebrewers. Lack of good music and sound effects take a lot of the thunder away from CV homebrews, especially when you compare them to commercial offerings from the 1980's. I'm currently working on my Sudoku CV game, but all Opcode-related business aside, I must admit that I'm not all that motivated to work on it since I know I'll be hitting a wall when I get around to coding music and sound effects.

Well, abc2cvm is not a good sound tool (it wasn't made for that), but I think it's a OK as a music tool. I've attached an early prototype of a game, that already has some music created using abc2cvm (4 pieces, when one ends there's a short silence, then another random one starts).

Philipp

Edit: Attachment removed. Use the one below.

Edited by PkK