IGNORED

Next console?

When I have 20-30 some 7800 games and only 2 are worth playing,

Once again, you, in your personal subjective opinion only consider 2 games worth playing.

You'd get people a shitload less rankled by saying, "I have 20-30 games, but I only really liked two". Same concept conveyed. Less likely to rankle people with different opinions.

Edited by DracIsBack

I'm going to go along with Nathan and suggest either a C64 or Atari 800. As long as you can get a disk drive with it as well or one of the special cables to connect it to a PC. Then you will have access to a vast library of games on either platform.

You really can't go wrong with any of your choices though, other than the 400 being unable to play a large amount of games on account of memory requirements. The 400 pretty much is a curiosity to have in ones collection not so much as a main gaming system. But other than that either the INTV, 5200, 7800, etc are all great fun to have.

if you do happen to go the route of the Intellevision, either now or later, one of the best games I've played for the system is AD&D Treasure of Tarmin, it's fantastic and blows away anything else from that era.
Tom Loughry is my hero - that's one of the most "ahead of its time" games ever.

Get an Atari 8-bit computer. They're not too hard to find, have some really good games including some great arcade conversions and you can use standard Atari 2600 joysticks with them. The cartridges seem easier to find than C64 carts. C64's were never very user-friendly with so many games on disks or cassettes and being difficult to load properly and then there's the millions of cracked and hacked games out there. Ugh. So much easier to just plug a Pac-Man cart into the side of an 800XL and start playing.

I don't like the 7800 and don't recommend it because other than homebrew games

This is all you need to read. I don't understand anyone disliking the 7800 anymore. I guess it made sense at some point, but PacMan Collection, Beef Drop, Asteroids Deluxe, BonQ, and Space Duel alone would make the system worth owning. PacMan Collection is like having an actual collection of a dozen or so PacMan games alone for goodness sake. Add on Midnight Mutants, Alien Brigade, Ikari Warriors, Commando, Ball Blazer, Joust, Cebtipede, Asteroids, Robotron, Ninja Golf, Tower Toppler, and Klax and I have trouble seeing why anyone wouldn't think it worth owning. And that's assuming Sirius, Plutos, Froggie, and Space Invaders never end up in the AA store.

Hi:

How about a modern system like a Xbox 360, Wii, or Playstation 3? Those are excellent for anybody.

Anthony

The thing is....I don't have any interest in modern consoles.

Wish I could get a kick out of new stuff...but it's the oldies that do it for me.

Hi:

How about a modern system like a Xbox 360, Wii, or Playstation 3? Those are excellent for anybody.

Anthony

Wish I could get a kick out of new stuff...but it's the oldies that do it for me.

I'm totally in agreement with you!

The newest thing I have is a gamecube, and while it's good, I would love to write games for it but alas, it's a gamecube and you can't spend a couple of days on any one project for it. It takes longer, more expensive, and just plain not as much fun in the end.

With the C= or the A8, I can type some games in basic and off it goes. Might take me a day or two and I have a complete thing (more or less). Not talking about homebrewing, just like from a magazine or book. Oh, and there are lots more homebrew capability, too. Heck, even in DOS for an old 486 or early pentium is more fun than programming for a newer console. Yep, oldie does it for me, too.

Nathan

Hi:

Anthony

I own a 360 and Wii, and I've played the PS3 quite a bit. This is my least favorite generation in a quite a while. You can't go wrong sticking with the classics!

Yikes, some heated viewpoints here!

With my experience, I would say rock one of the A8 computers. There are TONS of carts apparently available. I think the 5200 tried to be the 8 bit computer (as said before really a stripped down 400)... I'd say go XEGS for high compatibility with catridges (just received mine in the post!). I've been playng my 800XL and 130XE a lot as well... though my XL keyboard functions 100%...I have keys that give me the finger on the 130XE. Ha ha ha! These are REALLY fun machines at any rate, and they can often be had at really low costs, though if you watch ebay, you are bound to see some higher prices as well. The 5200 isn't bad...the controllers are definitely iffy...though I really like the trackball for it (canget pricey) and the Wico controllers will cost you an arm, a leg... and maybe a few toes on the remaining foot. Big footprint, but still fun... though I would throw down on a computer over the 5200. Though if you decide on a 5200... get a 2 port system...easier to deal with the power supply and RF... or make sure you get the red/black plug in box with the system if it is a 4 port machine.

Other than that... I'd say go with the INTV. It might be a little harder to find (I have two Intellivision 1s, and one Inty2), but there are a LOT of games out there for it, and most shouldn't cost you too much.... try and find a system/games bundle and buy yourself an instant collection. This is always a fun way to break into a "new" console. I think mine had like 12, or 24 titles with it when I bought it (inty2).... and if you find a Intellivision II...you can replace the controllers easily if they break (unpluggable... though loose controllers might be hard to find). The Inty2 also has a pretty small footprint... which might be desirable depending on how much space you have.

If we are still recommending, I would also suggest looking seriously at the Atari computers, but for compatibility issues probably an XL or XE of any variety (Although I love the beige stuff!!)

Adding a fairly cheap SIO2PC will give access to all of the 8bit library of games, utils and demos.

There is a pretty active homebrew scene with several new games per year released, usually free :D

Can use 2600 joysticks, don't take up a huge amount of space. S-video output on the 65+130XE, and composite out on the XLs and XEGS

Apart from my xbox, this is the system that I use the most, and one or more are permanently set up.

I am also a big fan of the 7800, but have to say that the games list is nothing like as good as the Home Computers (and that includes the 2600 games)

The only one of those consoles that I have is the Atari 7800, and like all systems it has it's plusses and minuses. I think it's a well-designed machine, it's small and still looks cool today. It uses the same controller port as the 2600 so you have many controller options. I hate the 7800 ProLine Joysticks, but really like the European Joypads. The D-pad is a little inaccurate, but they're sturdy and very comfortable, which I know can't be said for a lot of other classic controllers.

The game library is okay. There are some good arcade conversions on there (but many of the same games that are seen on the 2600/5200/8-bits), and the homebrews are a much welcome addition --- I have Pac-Man Collection and it rocks! But the majority of the games don't seem all that exciting. I've only played the 5200 and 8-bit Atari computers online but their catalogs seem to be larger and have more exciting games that given its time of release and lack of third party support never made it to the 7800.