IGNORED

Galaga for 8-bits?

Opisana metoda pozwala skonwertować kolorową grafikę trybu "MODE 1" i "MODE 5" z komputera Acorn Electron, BBC Micro i Amstrad CPC aby można ją było wyświetlać na Atari.

The following method shows how to convert graphics "MODE 1" and "MODE 5" from Acorn Electron, BBC Micro and Amstrad CPC machines, so it can be displayed on Ataris.

Powyższą procedurę można użyć wprost lub stworzyć dzięki niej 256 bajtową tablicę a do konwersji używać szybszej procedury

The above procedure can be used "as is", or you can make with it 256-byte table, and the try to speed up that convert-procedure.

In the source change "ekran" to "screen" and "bity" to "bits" - to make it more clear form non-Polish coders.

----

@Zylonbane: and now tell us about your first conversion. :D

• Like 2

> I mean i guess it can not be sooo hard

no, it's not difficult, you also need this: http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/Programow...k.C5.82adu_6845

ok.

look: http://atari.pl/zalaga.rar

with these conversions only problem is speed. you can convert most of the game from bbc micro (acorn electron) but they will not act with full speed.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

I think the BBC version is Zalaga? And even this is not something smooth in movement etc.

This game really requires fully independent sprites to do a decent version thereof - and therefore does not lend itself to this hardware.

That you'll always fall short due to the hardware limitations. And even the pixels present (and colour limitation) are too limiting also.

That you can't even do a mock-up that looks presentable.

My thinking is - it'll be more worthwhile to do a game - that pays tribute to Galaga (reference back to it) but do a game that this hardware can handle adequately - so it'll end up being a variation of it and maybe introduce some original elements to it?

It'll still require a programmer who's keen to put in the hard work that is necessary to pull it off - ie. make it work. And it will be a lot of work/effort involved.

Anyone keen on such a project - need to get something working in a demo format - which shows the method/approach to pull it off. To show that the most critical part(s) are doable.

If you don't end up with something worthwhile at the end - it's not worth putting in the time and effort to try pulling it off.

I think even a version is lacking for the C-64 - which it's hardware can probably do a decent version thereof. Note - there was a Gaplus game that was done nicely.

I'm not up to date with the C-64 projects/etc - so I don't know if anything was done from 2000? onwards.

Like - I only came across the SNES Zelda game graphics recently that was put/hidden in a C-64 demo - Mythos about 10? or so years ago... And that is something I never expected to see running on the C-64.

Harvey

• 1 month later...

Just got back from a vacation where there was a Galaga/Pacman machine on the Cruise Ship - I did not play that many times, because I did not want to spend my cruise in the arcade.. but WOW I forgot how much I love that game.

So if we cant have this on the 8-bit there are actual Standup emulators for the PC correct? IS there a correct original version of this game that one can play at home??

James

• Like 2

Just got back from a vacation where there was a Galaga/Pacman machine on the Cruise Ship - I did not play that many times, because I did not want to spend my cruise in the arcade.. but WOW I forgot how much I love that game.

So if we cant have this on the 8-bit there are actual Standup emulators for the PC correct? IS there a correct original version of this game that one can play at home??

James

The short answer is yes; and for not a lot of cheddar too. I have a Raspberry Pi 3 running Retro Pi hooked up to my main entertainment system. It plays Galaga just great, and lots of others too. They are the original arcade versions running on emulated hardware.

• Like 1

Actually this would be a good test game example for any game creator project.

I know that it's probably asking for too much - but if it can deliver anything close - it'll show how good the game creator is...

And such a game creator - needs to have lots of animation possibilities possible?

4 frame animation is nice, 6 frames nicer, 8 frames even nicer.

The more animation you can put into any game - the better it will look. Complex animation can only be done when many frames are available - and the resolution needed

to see what it is.

Harvey

• Like 1

Bikerbob, look up MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator), it has every flavour of Galaga, Galaxian defender and just about every other arcade game out there and almost all are perfectly emulated and don't need a mega pc to run them. Some classic gems that you may have forgotten etc, and the nice thing is that the clones are also perfectly emulated so if you saw it in the arcade of your local burger bar there's all the versions just as if you were on the machine.

It has ports to just about every OS / Platform and the roms are regularly flooded on alt.binaries.emulated.mame (of course I'm not promoting any piracy here!)

No person of the 70 / 80's should be without MAME, its a box full of good times...And its free

And no, I'm nothing to do with MAME apart from a user no matter how much that reads like an advert :)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

Actually this would be a good test game example for any game creator project.

I know that it's probably asking for too much - but if it can deliver anything close - it'll show how good the game creator is...

Agreed that it is a good test. Lot's of colorfull objects, complex moving, levels, design etc...

Only problem imho is that we simply can't do proper conversion on A8...

Compare these two (original and 7800 version):

post-14652-0-21599500-1482326256.png

post-14652-0-58194900-1482326175.jpg

It just almost doesn't look like it's from the same game :)

I wish we could do arcade like graphics but it's either hires or chunky color. Maybe there's still some kind of method to get more colors in hires but I don't know it yet...

One more version could be chunky pixels but resized sprites or hand pixelated to be better than that 7800 port.

• Like 1

Vertical shmups on arcade systems generally have the monitor orientated vertically. There's more of the playfield available and it makes the game easier to play.

A lot of CRT monitors can be rotated also. I do that often with my 1084 when playing these types of games on my supergun.

There's no reason why not to code it this way on home port, would definitely play much better.

• Like 1

I messed around with the graphics some years back.

This is a PAL type of layout. Considering NTSC, it'd most likely work out better with the score on the side -- as how Bosconian is being done.

attachicon.gifgalaga.png

Are you trying to say you made that on an A8??

Im confused I thought this was so hard to do . .. that looks great?

James

Hmmmm.... mentioning G2f made me test idea of colorful hires. Found AGS (Atari graphics studio) on G2F site and used conversion from arcade screenshot into something called "HCI"...

It looks like two combined multicolor pictures.

Can somebody test it on a real CRT and let us know if it's good for anything ?

post-14652-0-77338800-1482428003_thumb.png

galaga.xex

• Like 3

Hmmmm.... mentioning G2f made me test idea of colorful hires. Found AGS (Atari graphics studio) on G2F site and used conversion from arcade screenshot into something called "HCI"...

It looks like two combined multicolor pictures.

Can somebody test it on a real CRT and let us know if it's good for anything ?

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2016-12-22 18.28.49.png

attachicon.gifgalaga.xex

The flicker is not terrible on my Sony PVM, using a PAL machine.