IGNORED

5200 Jr

Goochman

Ok, if we're going to talk a bit about new 5200 hardware Id love to get a 5200 Jr! I saw someone reduced a Colecovision in 1/2 since most of it was wasted space and only require moving a switches - Anythink this this can be done with the 5200?

One of my biggest gripes is the space the 5200 takes - a smaller case with regular power supply and the ps controller interface and you'd be cooking :)

I can dream right?

Obviously I'm in a very small minority (of one, perhaps?), but I've always thought the 5200 looked very cool. It was sleek and futuristic looking. I always thought the Intellivision & Colecovision were terribly ugly. Note I'm specifically discussing the physical consoles/controllers. Admittedly my favorite system was the 5200, but I'm not talking about the games here. I thought the actual CV & Intv consoles themselves were ugly, especially the CV.

Yes, the 5200 is inconveniently HUGE, but I think it looks really cool anyway. And, I thought hidden controller storage was a terrific idea, along with the built-in storage reel on the bottom for the signal cable. The only missing piece was some way to attractively store the power cable, as I had a 2-port.

We always had cables running all over the place with my VCS, and the 5200 went a long way toward helping with that problem.

SO, any mods to the case, IMO, would need to pay close attention to maintaining attractive aesthetics.

Steve

Actually there was a 5200 jr. on the drawing boards, it was called the 5100. I've seen prototypes of them and they look... well... weird! They look like a square hunk of plastic with a cartridge slot in them. I'll agree that the 5200 is a little large, but I think that adds to it's charm. I wouldn't have my 5200 any other way.

Here's a pic of the 5100: http://www.atari-history.com/5100.html

Tempest

The 5100 is exactly what Im talking about!

Charm or not, since the 5200 isnt the system that sits under my TV all the time bringing that load out and setting it up on the TV is a pain!

The 5200 looks great for an early 80s console (bigger is better), but for today its too much!

Well, count 2 in the minority. I also like the 5200's looks. I may be a bit biased, mine is in great shape (maybe mint) with an Atari 'leatherette' dust cover, and it just fits in the bottom of a modified TV cart, with room for my 12 cartridges....There were many ugly systems, the 5200 looks 'impressive', to me anyway.

As for the cables, well, I have a 4-port, I just run the cables behind the system, around to the TV.

• 1 month later...
Doh! I didn't know this thread was here. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted a whole post to the CX5100  

What a waste of good forum space I just did.

No problem, I just zapped your other post. I wish I had the extra $$$ for that 5100, but I'm in the middle of buying a huge 5200 prototype lot right now (no new games, but alot of unreleased ones).

Tempest

Doh! I didn't know this thread was here. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted a whole post to the CX5100  

What a waste of good forum space I just did.

No problem, I just zapped your other post. I wish I had the extra $$$ for that 5100, but I'm in the middle of buying a huge 5200 prototype lot right now (no new games, but alot of unreleased ones).

Tempest

Are there really any more undiscovered 5200 prototypes? I doubt it. I think if anybody is going to have any it would be the guys at Digital Press and I think after a bit they would have released them by now. Besides, I know you would have gotten them drunk by now and learned all their secrets. Not to jump off topic but when are we going to see a pic of the 5200 Asteriods controller? (Question not really directed at you Tempest because I know you don't have it.) I heard it was shown at I think the 99 CGexpo but I've yet to see a picture of it.

Allan

Are there really any more undiscovered 5200 prototypes?

Yes... :D

I think if anybody is going to have any it would be the guys at Digital Press

Now why would you think that? They found alot of the earlier prototypes, but there are other people actively looking.

and I think after a bit they would have released them by now.

Not always... Don't get me started on that one...

Besides, I know you would have gotten them drunk by now and learned all their secrets.

Actually this year it was the other way around, except I wouldn't talk!

Not to jump off topic but when are we going to see a pic of the 5200 Asteriods controller?

I would like to see a pic of this myself. AFAIK Keita owns the only prototype (along with the production label Asteroids), and he's in the process of moving to Japan. We might not see this for a long time...

Tempest

Are there really any more undiscovered 5200 prototypes?

Yes... :D

I think if anybody is going to have any it would be the guys at Digital Press

Now why would you think that? They found alot of the earlier prototypes, but there are other people actively looking.

and I think after a bit they would have released them by now.

Not always... Don't get me started on that one...

Besides, I know you would have gotten them drunk by now and learned all their secrets.

Actually this year it was the other way around, except I wouldn't talk!

Tempest

So let's just say for speculations sake, if one was sworn to secrecy to not tell the general public about someone owning an unreleased prototype, why would they not want anybody to know? Would that be just because the owner doesn't want to be hounded by people to realease it,(my guess.) or could there be other reasons?

Oh yea, remind me Tempest to buy you a beer or six...I mean 2...at Philly next year. :)

Allan

So let's just say for speculations sake, if one was sworn to secrecy to not tell the general public about someone owning an unreleased prototype, why would they not want anybody to know?

I've been in this situation several times (knowing someone who had an unreleased prototype who didn't want it to get out). The main reason is that usually they are planning on releasing it themselves some time in the future and want to keep it a surprise. However not wanting to get hundreds of angry e-mails from people demanding they dump the prototype and give it to them for free is also a big concern (some people can be downright hostile). Other reasons they might not want people to know are that it could get someone in trouble or they are still in the process of getting the prototype and the public knowing may jeopardize that.

And before you jump to any conclusions, I don't have any unknown prototypes that I'm sitting on. All my protos are listed on my webpage.

Tempest

Curt,

Does the 5200jr motherboard work? The auction says that it's complete but it doesn't say if it works or not...

Steve/Jobf

Hi Jeff,

Yes it does, I actually used it to test several games to see if they would work on the console like Miner 2049'r, Final Legacy and Rescue on Fractalus.

Curt

Are there really any more undiscovered 5200 prototypes? I doubt it. I think if anybody is going to have any it would be the guys at Digital Press and I think after a bit they would have released them by now. Besides, I know you would have gotten them drunk by now and learned all their secrets. Not to jump off topic but when are we going to see a pic of the 5200 Asteriods controller? (Question not really directed at you Tempest because I know you don't have it.) I heard it was shown at I think the 99 CGexpo but I've yet to see a picture of it.

Allan

You'd be surprised, there are a few proto's still floating around out there and given to the community soon...

Curt

Curt,

Does the 5200jr motherboard work? The auction says that it's complete but it doesn't say if it works or not...

Steve/Jobf

Hi Jeff,

Yes it does, I actually used it to test several games to see if they would work on the console like Miner 2049'r, Final Legacy and Rescue on Fractalus.

Curt

Hey Curt,

Does it work with Pitfall?

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

Mitch,

Good question, I don't have a 5200 Pitfall right now as I loaned all my 5200 Activision games to a friend, so I can't test....  

Curt

Hmm, how about Mountain King or Krazy Shootout? Do you happen to have a copy of either of those you could try?

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

Allan

You'd be surprised, there are a few proto's still floating around out there and given to the community soon...

Curt

Any speculation when? Month, 6 months, a year, maybe 2003 Philly? Just curious. Sorry, I'm a 5200 addict. And now that I got your attention. Now that your finally coming to an end on your home construction, will we be seeing some more updates Atarihistory soon? I've been looking forward to some of the projects you announced in the past.

Allan