IGNORED

anyone here getting Rock Band for the Wii on Sunday?

I'm getting it for the PS3. The Wii version does not support DLC so you are stuck with the songs it comes with.....for now.

Regarding downloadable content: During Rock Band for the Wii development Harmonix focused on making the core gameplay experience as solid and enjoyable as possible while tailoring it specifically to the strengths of the platform. The Wii version still contains the robust four-player band experience and all the fun at the core of other versions of Rock Band. However, because the Wii's online capabilities and potential have yet to be fully realized, we wanted to wait before we explored online functionality for Rock Band to ensure that players get the high-quality of online performance they've come to expect.

Not since Guitar Hero IV was announced. The only way I would get Rock Band now would be if some third party guitar maker makes one that will work in both GH and RB (hint to all you third party peripheral makers out there).

I dunno... the perks in GH IV sound cool, but I'm with you on the "I'm not going to buy two sets of instruments" point. However, I've noticed the songs included in the last few GH games have not been impressive (IMO), so I'm inclined to just bypass the GH franchise.

If someone makes a RB <-> GH converter, I'm all for it, though. :cool:

.....can't get the guitar to work. batteries in...turned "on"....plugged in to the USB cable....blinking green lights....ready to throw it out the window...kill entire world...grumble....

...I wouldn't feel so bad spending $40 for a game and getting burned, but $170, and out of the box it doesn't work? Harmonix has a lot of work on it's hands if it wants this version to work. I spoke with several others later yesterday, and all 5 told me of their guitar problems... just a warning...

minorleagueguy

Here's a page for instrument troubleshooting:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22930

The most likely issue I see is that you need to plug in the hub. Remember that the instruments require a POWERED hub, so don't depend on the console to push enough power.

Other than that, it's perfectly possible the guitar is broken. Unfortunately, Harmonix has had a high failure rate with their equipment. :(

Edit: I should probably mention this (in case it wasn't clear), if your guitar IS broken, you can get it repaired or replaced from Harmonix at no cost. A few coworkers of mine have had their equipment replaced and Harmonix does get it done. Here's their contact page: http://www.rockband.com/contact

Edited by jbanes

Wow I am so glad I bought a PS2 system to get Rock Band. I tried to wait it out but ended up getting a PS2 and Rock band in March cause at that time the street date for RB Wii was still set for September or something like that. When I found out it was comming to the Wii sooner I was pissed at myself for buying a PS2 just for Rock Band but now I'm glad I did seeing as Rock Band for the Wii is total shit. Shame on Harmonix for doing such a poor job on it. Maybe they should have done more work on the hardware and just released it in the fall as originally planned. At least then maybe the hardware might not have been so pathetic.

Shame on Harmonix for doing such a poor job on it. Maybe they should have done more work on the hardware and just released it in the fall as originally planned. At least then maybe the hardware might not have been so pathetic.

Unfortunately, the hardware is garbage on all the platforms, not just the Wii. My coworkers who had to replace their guitars were replacing the XBox 360 version. The primary advantage of the PS2 and 360 is that you can use the Guitar Hero axes and skip over the cheap-o Rock Band stuff.

Which isn't to say the game isn't fun. If Harmonix had put more of an effort into the Wii port, I would have gotten it - despite the known issues - and happily used my GHIII guitar as well as making an effort to work with the RB hardware.

Shame on Harmonix for doing such a poor job on it. Maybe they should have done more work on the hardware and just released it in the fall as originally planned. At least then maybe the hardware might not have been so pathetic.

Unfortunately, the hardware is garbage on all the platforms, not just the Wii. My coworkers who had to replace their guitars were replacing the XBox 360 version. The primary advantage of the PS2 and 360 is that you can use the Guitar Hero axes and skip over the cheap-o Rock Band stuff.

Which isn't to say the game isn't fun. If Harmonix had put more of an effort into the Wii port, I would have gotten it - despite the known issues - and happily used my GHIII guitar as well as making an effort to work with the RB hardware.

The PS2 package I picked up for my daughter has worked like a charm. Mind you my sister bought it also for my nephew and her drum set broke within a week. the most right snare snapped right off. And it wasn't from mistreatment cause my nephew has CP and can hardly hit the drums let alone give force that should be able to break it but alas the cheap plastic broke at the hands of an 8 year old boy with CP and thats sad quaility control.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Rock Band, but I am also aware of the shoddy hardware.

I was initially exposed to the XBox 360 version, and was quite impressed. I'm not much on Guitar Hero and its ilk, because I believe the time it takes to learn those complicated fret patterns is better spent learning how to play a real guitar (something I'm trying to do; those who already play guitar, carry on). However, the drum and vocal parts in Rock Band are quite cool, and in my opinion make good practice for the real thing.

So a couple of weeks back I picked up the PS2 kit. I had a couple of Best Buy gift cards to burn, and the PS2 kit was on sale for $100 (compare this to $50 for the game and $80 for the drums when sold separately). I've been having a blast ever since, though I do wish the PS2 version had downloadable songs (it's a shame the hard drive option for the PS2 never caught on).

Then, last night I noticed the green pad was a little extra bouncy (I'm a lefty, so the green pad gets the most abuse). Sure enough, the drum set now has a crack where the green pad attaches to the rest of the frame.

I love this line from Harmonix's troubleshooting guide: "Finally, when you are playing remember that these are not real drums, they are a game controller and shouldn’t be hit as though you need the whole arena to hear you." Well gee, what do you expect is going to happen? When the music is cranked, the crowd is cheering, the notes are moving blazingly fast, and you're trying your best to keep three limbs perfectly coordinated, things are going to get violent.

Oh well, you get what you pay for. Maybe this comment from the game wasn't meant as a joke after all: "Want to make even more noise? Buy a real drum kit."

So, somewhat off topic, anyone have a recommendation for gluing bits of plastic back together? I've never had much luck with the glues and epoxies I've used in the past.

I've had the PS2 Rock Band since it came out with no problems what so ever. I beat the crap out of the drums sometimes. Sometimes after a doing a song on expert (I can only drum a few) I'll knock everything in the living room over. I'm just short of burning the whole place.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought it a few weeks ago using a great tradein deal I found on cheapassgamer.com and got Track Pack 1 a few days ago. It's really great - I'll admit I'd love to have a few of the features of the high-def versions (like the DLC). But between the main songs and the track pack I've got more than enough to keep me busy. Trying the drums for the first few times was certainly humbling!

• 2 weeks later...

Rock Band Wii is not compatible with the GHIII Guitar.

Rock Band PS3 is not compatible with the GHIII Guitar.

Rock Band 360 is compatible with the GHIII Guitar.

Rock Band PS2 is compatible with the GHIII Guitar.

• 4 weeks later...