IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

Got my GDEMU today! Though something was wrong at first, because I couldn't get it to work (handy hint: don't overtighten the screw that holds the board down). The GDMenu is working really well for me so far, except that, understandably, it can't present the names of homebrew games. Would be nice if you could include a text file in each folder that the menu would reference for the game title, but still, I'm really happy with the current solution.

Since we're on the GDEMU subject and there's a number of folks here who have one - what (if anything) have you done in respect to the change in airflow/cooling presented by replacing the GDROM?

Personally I drilled a series of holes in a diamond pattern along the left side of the case. Having done a whole bunch of 'touch tests' (since my IR thermo is broken :/) and playing around with various permutations of airflow modifiers, this does seem to be a decent way to keep the temps reasonable. i.e. pass the 'touch test' - probably around 130F at the highest.

Since we're on the GDEMU subject and there's a number of folks here who have one - what (if anything) have you done in respect to the change in airflow/cooling presented by replacing the GDROM?

Personally I drilled a series of holes in a diamond pattern along the left side of the case. Having done a whole bunch of 'touch tests' (since my IR thermo is broken :/) and playing around with various permutations of airflow modifiers, this does seem to be a decent way to keep the temps reasonable. i.e. pass the 'touch test' - probably around 130F at the highest.

I haven't done anything like this, but I think I need to. My Dreamcast keeps freezing after being on for a while (less than an hour), and I don't recall it ever doing this prior to installing the GDEMU. My guess is that it is overheating. I was considering picking up another Dreamcast to try out to see if it is my console or the GDEMU causing the issue, but maybe I should try adding additional ventilation first.

I haven't done anything like this, but I think I need to. My Dreamcast keeps freezing after being on for a while (less than an hour), and I don't recall it ever doing this prior to installing the GDEMU. My guess is that it is overheating. I was considering picking up another Dreamcast to try out to see if it is my console or the GDEMU causing the issue, but maybe I should try adding additional ventilation first.

The removal of the GDROM does alter the way the internal airflow was designed to work very significantly, and from my tests I wouldn't want to run the Dreamcast without some form of modification to the airflow.

With my modded case (and the main disc door shut of course :) ) I've let Crazy Taxi and several other games run for 24+ hour periods without seeing any issues.

The removal of the GDROM does alter the way the internal airflow was designed to work very significantly, and from my tests I wouldn't want to run the Dreamcast without some form of modification to the airflow.

With my modded case (and the main disc door shut of course :) ) I've let Crazy Taxi and several other games run for 24+ hour periods without seeing any issues.

Would you consider sharing pics of how you modded the case of your Dreamcast (via IM if you don't want to post here)? I'm definitely going to try to alter the case to see if that fixes my issue.

What tests did you do? I checked temps on my system and there was no real difference with the drive removed.

What tests did you do? I checked temps on my system and there was no real difference with the drive removed.

Just testing of different permutations (case on, case off, different games over time, gdrom in/out, lid open/closed, solid case, drilled case, a few cardboard inserts of different types) to see if I could determine (again by touch, since the IR thermo needs replacing) differences in temperature in different areas of the system i.e. power supply and different points around the main shielding.

By eyeballing the stock state you can see that the GDROM unit blocks most of the direct airflow from the rear case intake vents, and that if this was not the case the power supply would likely get little or no cooling. Before settling on the modification I did there were often parts of the system that were too hot to be touched or for very long, again estimating probably 140F+

After the modification even after several hours, there is no part of the unit that is too hot to be touched and have your fingers remain there. Word of warning folks - don't try doing this if you aren't aware of what areas you should not be touching with the unit plugged in and powered on...

Now I don't know what the upper heat thresholds of the system components are, so I'm not saying anything I did is necessary. I'm simply saying that through observation I noticed some big differences, and that the end result is the coolest of the various permutations and what I'm personally most comfortable with for the systems sake.

Would you consider sharing pics of how you modded the case of your Dreamcast (via IM if you don't want to post here)? I'm definitely going to try to alter the case to see if that fixes my issue.

It's nothing fancy, but sure :)

BwT19C.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i miss this hope he will make the 3 run and succed in the tg16 drive

I really hope another run of these is available.

Deunan announced a third run on his blog. Watch it very closely if you want to get in on it.

Get read to toss those EZ Flash IV's into the trash?

Yeah, nice! :D

I'm having trouble rationalizing replacing a $40 flash cart with an $80 one. Help? What's wrong with an EZ Flash?

The GUI is a chore to navigate, it has limits to # of files in a folder, and doesn't run all games smoothly. For $40 it's a good unit, but I trust Krikzz could make something far better. To each his/her own, but I personally hated the GUI.

• Like 1