IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

I think this proves though that a GBA solution is needed and would have a market, I don't think it would be as big as the GB/GBC market which is why i think igor should try to get it all in one cart even if it means it costs a little more.

Hey Mark, thanks for voicing your opinions on wanting a GB/GBC solution. I've been waiting for one myself!

I don't think it is physically possible to have all three types of ROMs just natively working in one cartridge: if I'm not mistaken, the pins themselves are different on the systems, and the only way a GBA "knows" to go into GBC mode is because of the pins it's making contact with. You'd either have to have two different carts or an adapter like the old Bridge.

Personally I think there's more of a need for GB/GBC right now than an all-in-one solution, and I really hope to see one soon. It would be way cool if one could be squeezed into an optional GBA-sized shell too, so we can all walk around carrying nice, flush GBA SPs full of old games. Make it one of the backlit models and you basically have the ultimate Game Boy.

I was thinking a switch that would swap the pins in question. base it on the gb-bridge which in essence is pretty tiny, only reason the thing was so clunky was so it could fit the cart into the system correctly. it "could" work. unclear at this time though if it would be cost effective. I think you're right, we need a gb/gbc solution more than anything else at this point.

my everdrive-64 arrived today. it's very cool and plays everything I throw at it flawlessly and so far deals with all the save games on the games I have been playing with no issues.

I hope somebody new decides to make another Bally Astrocade multicart or flash cart. Some of those games are impossible to find nowadays, such as Muncher.

I was starting to think there was one but then I realized it is the Odyssey multi-cart I'm thinking of. I picked up one of them along with a Vectrex multi-cart last year, great stuff. I don't even own a bally astrocade. one of the few systems I don't have. that and the Channel F

I hope somebody new decides to make another Bally Astrocade multicart or flash cart. Some of those games are impossible to find nowadays, such as Muncher.

They exist, but are pre-programmed with games. Due to the limited availability of the console, and it's high price, would be impossible to make a true flash cart without losing your shirt.

Oh no! Does this mean the M3 DS Real Perfect is unreliable? This has been my card of choice!!!

For the M3 SD Perfect, couldn't say overall. Mine worked for quite some time and then just up and died. :| My M3 DS Real has had no issues.

Are they still available, new?

The M3 SD Perfect - I haven't seen any for sale in ages, so my guess is no. The M3 DS Real might still be available.

Reading over at Assemblergames, Krikzz may implement flashRAM saves in a future update, but the 64Drive will have that capability at release. It also looks like marshallh put a lot of effort into the software.

I am not even sure marshall has got flashram working, last I heard he had not and was having some issues with it as well, but that may have changed. If it he has got it working then ignore that.

Catching up on this thread, and trying to understand something about the Everdrive 64:

Does it allow for game saving, or not? I'm assuming that's what this discussion of flashRAM saves is about, eh? Does this mean you can not currently save games with the Everdrive 64, but you might be able to do so in the future, if Krikzz implements this [additional] functionality? Or am I misunderstanding this completely? What is this "flashRAM save" business that is being spoken of, here?

Thanks!

Catching up on this thread, and trying to understand something about the Everdrive 64:

Does it allow for game saving, or not? I'm assuming that's what this discussion of flashRAM saves is about, eh? Does this mean you can not currently save games with the Everdrive 64, but you might be able to do so in the future, if Krikzz implements this [additional] functionality? Or am I misunderstanding this completely? What is this "flashRAM save" business that is being spoken of, here?

Yes you can save games on the ED64, most games in fact. It will create a save file of the appropriate type for the cart and will load it upon loading the game. Games that use FlashRAM to save currently will not work/save as it is not supported by the ED64 at this time. Some games that originally require flashram (like Majora's Mask) can actually be patched using cracks developed for the old N64 copiers, and will work.

You can check the type of save method used by individual cartridges at this mirror.

Reading over at Assemblergames, Krikzz may implement flashRAM saves in a future update, but the 64Drive will have that capability at release. It also looks like marshallh put a lot of effort into the software.

I am not even sure marshall has got flashram working, last I heard he had not and was having some issues with it as well, but that may have changed. If it he has got it working then ignore that.

Thanks!

remowilliams explained it well.

There are 4 types of internal saving that were used in N64 games: EEPROM4K, EEPROM16K, SRAM, and FlashRAM. Currently the ED64 does not support FlashRAM. However like remo said there are many FlashRAM games that were modified to work as another save type.

Igor (Krikzz) has gotten FlashRAM to work, but not very consistently. I believe since there actually isn't any FlashRAM on the PCB he must emulate it somehow (not sure if emulate is the right word in this instance). Currently he has not been able to make this work on a very consistent basis, so its not implemented in current firmware.

Also before someone asks "Why not just put FlashRAM on PCB?" Well I asked him the same question once and he said that it would raise the price significantly and at this time he doesn't think the feature is worth the higher price. So he is still working on a way to get it working without it.

just wanted to add the very cool EasyFlash for the Commodore 64

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1905292656311?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=190529265631&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

only $40 and well worth it. Holds tons of games on it, easy to program, fun to play

I think the Vic20 Mega cart has been brought up before as well. there has been a revision to the cart so I'm on the list for a second one

http://www.mega-cart.com/

both of these work very well with the C64SD:

http://www.manosoft.it/?lang=en

What different about the new Mega cart, could see from the link

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1905292656311?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=190529265631&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

only $40 and well worth it. Holds tons of games on it, easy to program, fun to play

I think the Vic20 Mega cart has been brought up before as well. there has been a revision to the cart so I'm on the list for a second one

http://www.mega-cart.com/

both of these work very well with the C64SD:

http://www.manosoft.it/?lang=en

What different about the new Mega cart, could see from the link

the changes are documented somewhere on the site but basically they are adding some different games, removing one or two games but the main thing is they are adding a file browser that will work in conjunction with the various SD2IEC devices like the C64SD I mentioned above, so you can then load software from an sd card rather than floppy.

the C64SD is really amazing and works on many of the commodore computers, plus4, vic20, c64, c128, etc. it costs about $60 or so and well worth it. it is built like a tank too and is beautiful. check the videos of it in action on manosoft.it

• Like 1

Interesting, I hadn't seen this one.

Ah, now I have to go and take a look at that. I have the first Vic Mega cart and it's quite nice. :cool:

Interesting, I hadn't seen this one.

Ah, now I have to go and take a look at that. I have the first Vic Mega cart and it's quite nice. :cool:

EasyFlash is GREAT, way easier to use than the AtariMax flash carts. I flashed a few dozen games to it with no problems. you can flash CRT images or PRG and some D64, depends on what is on the disk image

The only reason to get the newer megacart would be if you have a SD2IEC device for your VIC. the other changes are very minor. the new file browser is worth it to me to get it. I'm on the very long waiting list now :) I bet you can easily sell your old one for the same retail price if not more if you can't afford having two.

Also before someone asks "Why not just put FlashRAM on PCB?" Well I asked him the same question once and he said that it would raise the price significantly and at this time he doesn't think the feature is worth the higher price. So he is still working on a way to get it working without it.

The issue isn't FRAM versus SRAM, it's the WAY the FRAM is ACCESSED. Nintendo used a pretty silly method of accessing FRAM compared to SRAM (FRAM chips are designed to drop in to SRAM designs, so the way FRAM is accessed on the N64 is Nintendo's fault and not due to the FRAM itself). Even if he used real FRAM, he'd still have to add that crazy access interface to the firmware; if it has trouble with SRAM, it would have the SAME trouble with FRAM. The MAIN difference between FRAM and SRAM is the SRAM requires battery backed power while the FRAM doesn't. As mentioned above, FRAM generally comes in standard SRAM packages and pinouts to be a drop-in replacement without the need for batteries.

The issue isn't FRAM versus SRAM, it's the WAY the FRAM is ACCESSED. Nintendo used a pretty silly method of accessing FRAM compared to SRAM (FRAM chips are designed to drop in to SRAM designs, so the way FRAM is accessed on the N64 is Nintendo's fault and not due to the FRAM itself). Even if he used real FRAM, he'd still have to add that crazy access interface to the firmware; if it has trouble with SRAM, it would have the SAME trouble with FRAM. The MAIN difference between FRAM and SRAM is the SRAM requires battery backed power while the FRAM doesn't. As mentioned above, FRAM generally comes in standard SRAM packages and pinouts to be a drop-in replacement without the need for batteries.

Great information. Thanks!

They sold out in 15 minutes. I will have more up for back order in the next few hours.

Thank you. I am glad you are going to do this because I really want one and don't mind the wait of back ordering one. I'm already selling a lot of my original cart only games because of this and because of only wanting to collect my favorite games in the box. The Everdrives will be for playing and trying out games I am curious about. Whenever I beat a game, I will buy its complete in box counterpart because if I take the time to beat one, then its definitely a favorite.