IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

GBA is a bit of an oddity with backward compatibility with GB/GBC games. Notice the GBA carts have grooves along the side? And the older carts don't? It's because GBA is physically 2 in 1 console. There's a tiny switch that is triggered when GB/GBC cart is inserted which starts the 8-bit mode and when not triggered, starts the 32-bit mode.

For this reason, GB and GBC roms on GBA cart won't work as is, the ROM will need to be fixed with legacy support to work properly in GBA mode. Or just get EDGB and skip hacking 1000's ROMs to run em all on GBA.

• Like 1

GBA is a bit of an oddity with backward compatibility with GB/GBC games. Notice the GBA carts have grooves along the side? And the older carts don't? It's because GBA is physically 2 in 1 console. There's a tiny switch that is triggered when GB/GBC cart is inserted which starts the 8-bit mode and when not triggered, starts the 32-bit mode.

For this reason, GB and GBC roms on GBA cart won't work as is, the ROM will need to be fixed with legacy support to work properly in GBA mode. Or just get EDGB and skip hacking 1000's ROMs to run em all on GBA.

I am well aware of this fact. Among other things, the GB/C has a 5V bus and GBA has 3.3V bus. A lot of uninformed folks out there think the GBA can run GB code but it can't natively. Backwards compatibility is impossible, unlike for instance running SMS games on the Everdrive MD. That said, the Goomba emu embeds a GB ROM and emulator embedded into a functional GBA ROM that works on real hardware, but you have to build the ROM before you can export it.

Compatibility would obviously be poor compared to running native with the GB Everdrive, but it would make for a nice tech demo if Goomba could be somehow incorporated into the GBA BIOS in a similar fashion to how NES ROMs run on an ED64. Yes, the Everdrive 64 has a built in NES emulator, although it has poor mapper support compared to the N8. Maybe future revisions of the OS may allow such arrangement???

But yes, due to the physical lockout and incompatible schematics, you cannot have a single cart shell that functions as both GB and GBA. Shantea could detect when it was run on a GBC or GBA, but as far as I know was the only game to do it. My guess is the GB portion of the GBA used an unused register or CPU I/O pin as a flag to tell the software what version of hardware it was running on. The Game Boy Player used a similar hardware flag to identify itself to GBA Video carts and halt playback.

But yes, due to the physical lockout and incompatible schematics, you cannot have a single cart shell that functions as both GB and GBA. Shantae could detect when it was run on a GBC or GBA, but as far as I know was the only game to do it. My guess is the GB portion of the GBA used an unused register or CPU I/O pin as a flag to tell the software what version of hardware it was running on. The Game Boy Player used a similar hardware flag to identify itself to GBA Video carts and halt playback.

Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons and Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages could also tell if they were being played on a GBC or GBA, a shop opened in each game if it were running on the latter.

• Like 1

The WonderSwan Flash Masta has been released to early adopters, and Ed (Flavor) is going to release more soon. There still is a lot of work to be completed on it; however, it currently allows you to have 15 games on the cart. There is a micro SD card slot for future expansion.

Here's the website.

I've been meaning to make a video of mine in action, but I've yet to find the time. However, Ed posted a video to his YouTube channel.

I've been meaning to make a video of mine in action, but I haven't found the time yet.

Edited by chicgamer
  • Like 1

I thought there was a PS1 drive replacement project along the same lines as the ones for Saturn, Dreamcast, and 3DO -- i.e. replacing the CD drive assembly with a hard drive or USB stick -- but I can't find any info on it.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, or did I make it up? I've got an original-model "audiophile" PlayStation with a dead CD drive (and an unsuccessful attempted replacement) that I'd love to repurpose.

I thought there was a PS1 drive replacement project along the same lines as the ones for Saturn, Dreamcast, and 3DO -- i.e. replacing the CD drive assembly with a hard drive or USB stick -- but I can't find any info on it.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, or did I make it up? I've got an original-model "audiophile" PlayStation with a dead CD drive (and an unsuccessful attempted replacement) that I'd love to repurpose.

This?

https://youtu.be/CbNEmO3qClo

PSIO?

http://ps-io.com/store/

Currently sold out says re-available in July so should be soon I think

Edited by Iwantgames:)

The SD2IEC does work for a VIC-20. However, some games may require a specific RAM expansion or register values.

the futurewas8bit are about to release a multicart which includes both multiple ram configurations as well as a built in sd2iec loader (loads the correct menu for the ram config) and has a bunch of carts included too the price is far more reasonable than previous ram/multi carts its called the penultimate cart.

PSIO?

That's what I thought the PSIO was, but then I found out the other day that it's a communications port solution that requires additional soldering to work (and I read some pretty negative comments about it -- something to the effect that it has limited compatibility and uses stolen code). I was hoping for something that plugs in where the CD drive used to be, like the Rhea.

That's what I thought the PSIO was, but then I found out the other day that it's a communications port solution that requires additional soldering to work (and I read some pretty negative comments about it -- something to the effect that it has limited compatibility and uses stolen code).

It does require soldering and not beginner type skills. Compatibility though seems to be excellent according to my experience anyway :)

That's what I thought the PSIO was, but then I found out the other day that it's a communications port solution that requires additional soldering to work (and I read some pretty negative comments about it -- something to the effect that it has limited compatibility and uses stolen code). I was hoping for something that plugs in where the CD drive used to be, like the Rhea.

While I can understand frustration with lack of compatibility and required soldering, I'm surprised that you would rather have something that replaces the disc drive. The main reason why I love the idea of the PSIO compared to GDEMU or Rhea is that you can continue to play your disc based games with the mod installed. It's the best of both worlds.

I have the GDEMU and I love it. It's disappointing that I can't play my disc based games with it, but I keep a spare Dreamcast around that I can swap out if I want to go back. I want to get a Rhea, but for now my mod chip and Action Replay cart allow me to do everything I need on my Saturn.

The PS1 is my favorite system to collect for, and while it's the only system that I would truly want to get a full set for, I know that realisticly that probably won't ever happen. So something like the PSIO sounds awesome to me. This is the first I've heard about lack of compatibility, so I'll have to look into that before I order anything.

While I can understand frustration with lack of compatibility and required soldering, I'm surprised that you would rather have something that replaces the disc drive. The main reason why I love the idea of the PSIO compared to GDEMU or Rhea is that you can continue to play your disc based games with the mod installed. It's the best of both worlds.

The unit I'd want to install this on is a SCPH-1001 "audiophile" PS1 with a dead CD drive. When I tried to replace it with a drive cannibalized from a later model, the replacement failed. So it's an ideal candidate for something to replace the drive completely. :)

I have several PlayStations, including a PSOne (which is my workhorse for playing commercial games) and a debug unit (for playing CDRs of fan-translated games, etc.). The debug unit isn't 100% solid, though, because it uses the same design as the SCPH-1001, and so is prone to the same issues with overheating and drive failure. After 30-60 minutes of gameplay it has issues with FMV dropouts and skipping, etc., just like I used to see on the SCPH-1001.

Luckily for me, my launch model PS1 still works to this day with no issues. However, I can't bring myself to make any permanent mods to it since I've had it all these years, so I plan to add the PSIO to another similar used model I picked up a while back.

the futurewas8bit are about to release a multicart which includes both multiple ram configurations as well as a built in sd2iec loader (loads the correct menu for the ram config) and has a bunch of carts included too the price is far more reasonable than previous ram/multi carts its called the penultimate cart.

That is interesting news. The VIC-20 RAM expansions are cumbersome, and having switchable RAM expansions are a benefit. A mulitcart that handles both loading the game and switching the RAM for the cartridge part of the VIC library would be nice. However, there are VIC games in .prg or a tape format that would might still be require trial and error by the user to determine the RAM expansion required. Would the new multicart accomodate those games?

I hope you'll let us know when its available.

That is interesting news. The VIC-20 RAM expansions are cumbersome, and having switchable RAM expansions are a benefit. A mulitcart that handles both loading the game and switching the RAM for the cartridge part of the VIC library would be nice. However, there are VIC games in .prg or a tape format that would might still be require trial and error by the user to determine the RAM expansion required. Would the new multicart accomodate those games?

I hope you'll let us know when its available.

it kind of is, the lads who designed it are selling a single "beta" production run at about £38 full details of its design and sales here http://blog.tynemouthsoftware.co.uk/2016/01/vic20-penultimate-cartridge-part-2.html(ignore the early photos where it was switched)

future sales will be handled by futurews8bit https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/index.php/penultimatecart he was burning the eeproms today so it wont be long but will be slightly more expensive as it will come complete with a cart shell.

hope that helps.

i don't recall but does sd2iec handle .tap files? i seem to think i bought a ucassette to handle that side of things. but yes, you'll need to know / download / separate the files themselves into base, base + 3, base + 8 and base + 16/32 all the cart will do is let you set the ram config and autoload the correct version of sd2iec menu.

Edited by billysastard

• 4 weeks later...