IGNORED

Long Time Reader, First Time Poster

Atarius Maximus

Hello Everyone! I thought I'd finally introduce myself, as I've been reading these forums for a while now, and haven't posted anything until now.

I'm the proud original owner of a 2600 6-switch and a 7800 that I purchased new (well, my parents bought the 2600 for me) in '80 and '86, respectively. I'm up to 285 unique carts for the 2600 (70 original purchases, the rest from ebay), and my original 15 carts for the 7800 that I bought new. Somehow, my old Atari consoles and games survived all of my parent's garage sales and spring cleanings! :)

So, for all you orignal Atari owners, what is the Rarest cart that you are the original owner of? I don't have anything really rare that I bought new, but I am the original owner of a Pengo Cart, which I think has a rarity rating of 6 on this site.

Anyway, I'm going to attempt to contribute to this community a little more often, I'm very impressed with how active and knowledgeable the regulars on these forums seem to be. Looking forward to hanging out more often!

Atarius M.

Welcome to the forum! Wow, today must be "coming out" day for lurkers! Certainly glad to have you on board!

The rarest game I have is Spy Hunter (Sega), which is at a rarity of 6. Not terribly impressive, I know; but I have quite a few 5's, including Milton Bradley, Konami and Zimag games, plus some Xonox.

I also have a one-of-a-kind cartridge made for me by my friend Adam Trionfo, which is all text -- it's a letter-on-a-ROM!

CF

Now Chris let's be fair. Most of those teenagers are just confused and frustrated! ;) :) Off Topic is fun.

Greetings to you, AM, nice to have you. This is your one stop for ALL things atari. Hope to see you around for a long time to come.

Welcome Wagon Stan :)

Welcome to AtariAge! It's always great to see lurkers come out and post for the first time. Hope you enjoy your stay!

Sadly, my mother gave away my 2600 to some cousins a long time ago and that would be the last game system I'd own for a while (not including an Atari 800XL I would later buy myself). The rarest game I have? Uhrr, not including prototypes, probably something along the lines of Glib. I don't have a Quadrun or even a Waterworld, though. :)

..Al

Hey Atarius Maximus. Welcome aboard.

The rarest game I own (but not from childhood) is probably Qbert Qubes. I sold off my original Atari collection along with all my childhood games about 4 years ago when I bought a house... *sigh*

Anyways. Feel free to stop in to the off-topic forum... unless you are like CF.... a stick in the mud.... Or is that a bump on a log??? Hmmmmm Ahhhh a new off-topic topic is a brewin.

Wow, three new people in one day. Welcome to Atariage. I don't have any of the 2600 games that I had as a child, but none of them were rare. Right now I own two copies of Waterworld, one copy of Crazyclimber, One copy of Chase the Chuckwagon and some others.

:thumbsup: :o :)

I must be the only Atari freak around here that has NEVER looked at the "rarity guides" and thus have no idea what carts are what number. :P

But anyway, I *just* looked at it. My first guess at what I own that's a rare game is maybe Jawbreaker? I used to hate that cart as a kid because I thought the red plastic was ugly. :P I might have something rarer.. who knows.. it takes a while to look through these things. However, seeing as the majority of the rarer games with the exception of Quadrun and Crazy Climber tend to suck (hence their rarity) I sort of doubt it. :lol:

oh and welcome by the way! :)

Thank you all for welcoming me in! I've just got back into collecting in the past 6 months or so, and it's becoming an addiction! I can't stop buying 2600 games! Somebody help me!

I've finally (just recently) finished my complete collection of Activision and Imagic titles, which IMO are the best (most fun to actually play) games. My favorite game to play most recently has been Commavid's Room of Doom. I actually own the cart, but I tend to play my hacked version where the player and enemies look like the ones from Berzerk :) I just can't seem to get enough of playing that dumb game.

I thought I'd share another of my Atari stories....One of the few amusing stories I remember from my childhood about buying games was my purchase of Swordquest Earthworld when it first came out (I guess I was about 11). I took it home thinking it was going to be similar to Adventure, and was thoroughly disgusted within the first few minutes. I took it back to the toy store, and with my Mother's help (I think she lied and said that I had just received that same title as a gift from someone else), we were able to exchange it for a copy of Keystone Kapers, which turned out to be one of my all-time favorites.

Thanks again to everyone for making me feel welcome here!

AM

You can't stop buying 2600 games, and you're asking for help HERE?

:D

Once down the dark path you start, forever will it rule your destiny. YAAAHHH HA HA HAAAAA.

I bought Earthworld for a dollar in 1985. A drug store named Revco was selling off old games. A buck was STILL too much. I threw the cartridge into the Rio Grande, near which my friend and I used to play. It might still be down there at the bottom, for all I know. Either that, or the river carried it to Atari Pitbull, who's the closest person to the east of my city. So if you've ever found a muddied-up Earthworld at your thrift shop, Pitbull, my apologies. But that's a true story. It went right into the river. Hated it. I put Adventure back in and had a ball.

Now I have two Earthworlds, though. I can't remember where the hell I got them. Hmmmm.

CF

I remember the Revco sales! I picked up several Atari games there, including RS Baseball (cool), Yars Revenge (very cool) and ET (not very cool).

I'd agree that $1 is too much for SQ. I paid 50c at Revco and got burned. Especially when I found out the contest was already over! Grrr. :x

I remember many of the closeout sales after the crash, too, back in late '84 and '85. I bought lots of crappy games at Kay-bee toy stores for $1-$5, many of them U.S. Games, Mythicon, and Apollo titles, and ended up returning them, well, because they sucked. I guess it was easier to return opened games back then, huh?

• 19 years later...

Since I know I'll forget to do it on August 21st, I thought I'd do it now while I'm thinking about it. :)  It's been (really close to) 20 years now since I've joined AtariAge, and I thought I'd commemorate that milestone with a bump of my very first post on the forums from August 2002.  Thanks to everyone for all the trades, the answered questions, the support when I attempted to first starting hacking and creating new games, for new friendships, for your patience with me, and for being such an awesome community in general.

Cheers to all!

Steve

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, moycon said:

Again 20 years later... welcome to Atari Age Atarius Maximus! Will you still be posting 20 years from now?

Thanks moycon, and yeah that's the plan! I haven't posted much on this specific forum all that much over the past 20 years, I think about 1,800 of my 1,953 posts have been in the 2600 hacks, batariBasic and 7800basic forums.  I always check here and read the latest when I'm online though. :)

• Like 3