IGNORED

Japanese Famicom work in US?

Will a Japanese Famicom system work on a US television? I'm guessing I'll at least need a power adapter to plug it into the wall.

Yes. Japan and US are NTSC. RF, it will not work, it runs on different frequencies. Composite video, yes.

Get yourself a Famicom New. Its basically the japanese NES 2, but it uses the same cable as the SNES for video output. It only outputs in Composite however.

Edited by keilbaca

^350 games? Holy crap! PM if there are any you don't want to keep! As others have mentioned, an AV famicom (the white one that looks like a US toploader) will hook up to a US TV just like a standard SNES. All you have to worry about is the power supply. The prongs are the same, but Japan outlets put out 100 volts while American ones put out 120. My jap power supply seems to be able to handle the 20 volt surplus no problem, but just be aware that half the people you run into on the internet will suggest that you buy a step down converter.

Thanks for the info. I'd tell you all the games, but honestly I don't understand Japanese. Obviously some of the games I can figure out such as Mappy and a few others. 99% of the games are just cart only. One set of carts is about 110 games, about 15-20 of them are duplicates. The other set is the remainder of the games and system, but I don't know how many dupes there are in there off hand and how many are dupes from set 1 to set 2.

I believe it's right around 357 games total.

^350 games? Holy crap! PM if there are any you don't want to keep! As others have mentioned, an AV famicom (the white one that looks like a US toploader) will hook up to a US TV just like a standard SNES. All you have to worry about is the power supply. The prongs are the same, but Japan outlets put out 100 volts while American ones put out 120. My jap power supply seems to be able to handle the 20 volt surplus no problem, but just be aware that half the people you run into on the internet will suggest that you buy a step down converter.
Edited by yuppicide

actually, the RF on a Famicom will work on a US television. instead of channel 3/4 try channel 95/96

Does that always work with any Japanese system? Is the signal just as good on 95/96 as it would be with a U.S. system on 3/4?

....but just be aware that half the people you run into on the internet will suggest that you buy a step down converter.

I would be one of those. I always use a step-down converter for my Japanese systems. When I fist got my Sega 3000 I didn't have the voltage converter and the computer did indeed overheat. Now it stays cool no matter how long I use it. The way I see it 'better safe than sorry'.

Thanks for the info. I'd tell you all the games, but honestly I don't understand Japanese. Obviously some of the games I can figure out such as Mappy and a few others. 99% of the games are just cart only. One set of carts is about 110 games, about 15-20 of them are duplicates. The other set is the remainder of the games and system, but I don't know how many dupes there are in there off hand and how many are dupes from set 1 to set 2.

I believe it's right around 357 games total.

357!?! That's a hell of a nice haul. I'd love to have come across that one myself. I would also be interested in any dupes and/or other unwanted carts you may end up with.

actually, the RF on a Famicom will work on a US television. instead of channel 3/4 try channel 95/96

Does that always work with any Japanese system? Is the signal just as good on 95/96 as it would be with a U.S. system on 3/4?

i don't know for sure, the famicom is the only japanese system ive played that required RF

the signal is great, simply use a female coax adapter instead of an RF switch and the picture will look more than adaquate

i don't know for sure, the famicom is the only japanese system ive played that required RF

the signal is great, simply use a female coax adapter instead of an RF switch and the picture will look more than adequate

That's good to hear. I've been wanting to get an original Famicom and FDS but wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to use them with satisfactory results. I have the Sharp Famicom Twin which has A/V and works just fine but I just love the appearance of the original models. Plus there are some other obscure Japanese systems that are just RF only so I guess it's worth a go to give them a try as well. That is if I can ever afford them. :D