IGNORED

Pleasant Valley Video Catalog 1991

bfstats

The following thread in the Marketplace Forum:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...127770&st=0

...prompted me to dig up my docs on Pleasant Valley Video of Camden Ohio. Below are JPEGs of their price list. Please look closely. You will see a number of vaporware titles. Hmmm...

post-118-1216308670_thumb.jpgpost-118-1216314074_thumb.jpgpost-118-1216314101_thumb.jpgpost-118-1216314165_thumb.jpg

post-118-1216314198_thumb.jpgpost-118-1216314220_thumb.jpgpost-118-1216314239_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Wow! I'd forgotten about these guys. I ordered the Texas Chainsaw Massacre when I was a kid and it came in a generic blue Nintendo case with no instructions. The label was handwritten and it looked just like the one in the AVGN review. I was HUGELY dissapointed not only in the condition it arrived but in the game itself.

I think the second order was for "Alien" which never came. I waited for about a whole year for it before I gave up. This would have been about 1992 or so. Whatever happened to PVV?

• Sad 1

The usual one. Sent money, received something. Sent a lot more money, received nothing.

Reminds me of an article I read about Ponzi schemes. These are fake investments where the scam artist returns unusually high profits at first to generate buzz about the investment then disappears with all the cash when the real money starts pouring in.

Grrrrrr. Speak not of Pleasant Valley Video.

Ohhh, now you've done it. Bad experience with PVV??? Please elaborate.

The usual one. Sent money, received something. Sent a lot more money, received nothing.

Welcome to THE CLUB. Anyone else want to join?

Looking at the early date of the prototype I wonder if Atari meant to release an NTSC version, or if it was simplier to work with an NTSC model on their TV's, and convert the scanlines to PAL at the last minute? If an NTSC prototype is ever found with a date higher then some of the PAL ones then it would point to Atari making both a PAL and NTSC version.

Looking at the early date of the prototype I wonder if Atari meant to release an NTSC version, or if it was simplier to work with an NTSC model on their TV's, and convert the scanlines to PAL at the last minute? If an NTSC prototype is ever found with a date higher then some of the PAL ones then it would point to Atari making both a PAL and NTSC version.

I'm not sure I follow you, it seems like Atari usually wrote the NTSC version first and then converted it to PAL.

For Dumbo it looks like the NTSC one we have is dated 5-5-83 and the PAL one is 7-11-83. Checking Atariprotos.com there appears to be an undumped proto dated 5-27-83 as well. This one could be a slightly more complete NTSC version or an earlier PAL version. That seems to be about right timing wise with the PAL one dated a month to two months later than the NTSC one.

Mitch

I guess what I meant was I'm not sure if the NTSC version is complete as I didn't play it much in the emulator, and I thought Dumbo might have been meant to be PAL only. What you said about NTSC built first and converted makes sense though, Mitch.

All games were programmed NTSC then converted to PAL. At least all of those programmed by Atari in the US.

Tempest

All games were programmed NTSC then converted to PAL. At least all of those programmed by Atari in the US.

I doubt that.

We found a number of Atari prototypes with ~285 scanlines which is in the middle between NTSC and PAL. Maybe the colors where NTSC, but not the frequency.

• 11 years later...

I was re-telling some of the PVV story and found the address (again) in the PDF. I'd looked this up on google maps once before and thought about making a trip to see it in person. But from the google images, it looks like any other rural location.

Preble County's web site is tough to navigate, but I did finally find the parcel and info on 8141 Pleasant Valley Rd:

https://www.preblecountyauditor.org/Data.aspx?ParcelID=C07431440000006000

The earliest sale shown there was from an un-named seller in 1993. No mention of Redd on the property though.