IGNORED

OK, Here it is (DL & DLL Template)

PacManPlus

Hello All:

I think I finally got this working. I tried to explain every thing (in comments) that a programmer might want to change, every table, every variable, etc. I think I have them all. We have the source program itself, and the two include files (one for Character Mode, and the other for Sprites). I put a little example of each in the program to start off.

The steps in order to customize this program are:

1) Make any necessary changes to the number of sprites, character mode (if there is one), Screen Write Mode, etc...

2) Use a graphic editor to edit the graphics for the character mode (charmode.dat), and sprite graphics (spritegr.dat).

3) Modify the tables toward the end of the source code for things like Palette (color), sprite width, character width, etc.

This will compile with dasm.

Please let me know what you think - I plan on using this as the basis for my next project. :)

Bob

DLLTemplate.ZIP

• Like 1

Bob, this is fantastic. Now I can finally get my head around programming for the 7800.

Questions:

What do you use to edit the Character.dat and spritegr.dat?

I opened them in Notepad and get gobbledy gook. I opened them in a Hex editor, and I get nothing taht makes any visible sense. Is there some sort of tool that helps graphically with these?

also - audio editing - ? I dont' seen mush of anything explaining it.

Hi:

Thanks!

You can't edit the graphics in notepad or any text editor - the 7800 uses 2bbp (2 bits per pixel) graphics for 160x2 mode (the 320x1 mode does use 1bpp). The examples I used there are indeed 160x2. You need a graphic / tile editor that will allow for these kinds of files. I currently use 'Tile Molester', but it has issues with small files, so I'm looking for something else.

I didn't go into Audio, because it's the same as the 2600 (unless you're using the Pokey Chip). I just figured that wasn't the part that needed this much explanation.

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

I currently use 'Tile Molester', but it has issues with small files, so I'm looking for something else.

Have you tried Tile Studio ? It's not perfect for 8-bit development but it works fairly well.

/P

Actually, I did load that. I couldn't figure out how to get it to work with 2-BPP or 1-BPP sprites especially the way the 7800 handles them (1 one line on each page or ROM). :(

I usually just use normal 8 bit computer font editors. I then usually use a separate program that does the byte swapping around as part of my compile process.

--Ken

Actually, I did load that. I couldn't figure out how to get it to work with 2-BPP or 1-BPP sprites especially the way the 7800 handles them (1 one line on each page or ROM). :(

I usually just use normal 8 bit computer font editors. I then usually use a separate program that does the byte swapping around as part of my compile process.

--Ken

Maybe somebody could mod one of the 8-bit computer font editors to do this for you.

Allan