IGNORED

Stelladaptor Waiting List

Albert

Even if it could, the driving controller doesn't have the DPI for that to work well.

Just curious, how much of a difference is there between the 2600 driving controller and, say, the Tempest rotary controller?

..Al

Rotary encoders work by comparing the gray code over time to detect transitions. It's almost like watching a virtual pixel move left and right or up and down.

So it's kind of like this:

moving right

10 last

01 current

moving left

01 last

10 current

The gray code of the bit slides left and right with the encoder wheel. If they don't get sampled fast enough, the whole system breaks down and the sprite will just kind of jiggle randomly.

no change or missed a transition, no way of knowing

10 last

10 current

That's what happens when you twist the Indy 500 controller fast enough. 1/60th of a second isn't even fast enough to sample 16-state changes in a full revolution if you spin it fast enough. You have to start getting in there and sampling several times a frame.

So I would expect the Tempest spinner to have much more than 16 state changes per revolution and some kind of coprocessor that is constantly watching it and then passing some kind of aggregate +/- value to the mainline program. That's how mouse drivers work with the PC. They send back a serial stream of of codes indicating units of change.

This is also why the Indy controller probably wouldn't work well with Jaguar Tempest 2000, even though supposedly there is a driver for it in the cart.

Edited by mos6507

I just got my Stelladaptor!!! I'm a happy man! Can't wait to try it out! :D :D :D

Albert, thank you for such super-fast delivery! You rock! :D :D :D

Just gave it a test drive with Stella and MAME32....works like a charm! Excellent product (and thanks for the cool fridge magnet...didn't have that one yet.) :)

Edited by Deteacher

Some questions about the stelladaptor. Are there any still available to buy? And did anyone have any luck getting atari paddles to work with the ccs64 emulator? I could use all 4 paddles with the 2 usb ports and work on ccs64?

thanks

It's not the Stelladapter that's the issue, it's the emulators, they'd need to be able to handle and process properly the paddle controls.

Some questions about the stelladaptor. Are there any still available to buy? And did anyone have any luck getting atari paddles to work with the ccs64 emulator? I could use all 4 paddles with the 2 usb ports and work on ccs64?

thanks

It's not the Stelladapter that's the issue, it's the emulators, they'd need to be able to handle and process properly the paddle controls.

what im looking for is someone who has tried using the paddles with stelladaptor and ccs64 or vice commodore emulator. and if it works or not. specifically a yes or no. thanks

what im looking for is someone who has tried using the paddles with stelladaptor and ccs64 or vice commodore emulator. and if it works or not. specifically a yes or no. thanks

I know people have successfully used joystick controllers with C64 emulators, but I don't know if any of them have been updated to properly support the paddles. Some emulators will recognize the paddles and work properly, others won't (for instance, I've been able to use them in MAME). Some emulators have enhanced Stelladaptor support, such as the 2600 z26 and Stella emulators. Others will only work with joysticks.

I can't give you an answer on that as I've never had anyone report to me that they've tried it, sorry.

..Al

Joysticks work fine with the Stelladapter in Vice and CCS. However I believe the paddles are interpreted still as joysticks however, so the controls don't work properly. We tried this with some Vic20 titles in Vice over at the Denial forum recently.