IGNORED

An Atari joystick this Christmas?

Curt Vendel

Is this something you'd like to see being sold on atari.com this holiday season:

Works with all Direct Input games under Windows, recognized and works with MAME on Apple OSX as well as Linux, even works with DOSbox games.

Also has a hidden surprise on the PC board for hardware hackers...

Atari USB joystick:

Want to get some feedback from everyone.

Curt

I would buy one for sure. It would be great for the 8bit emulator on my Toshiba laptop and I could use it with my iMac. This would be cool for Amiga/ST emulation as well! I think it is a great idea, do you have any idea how much it would cost?

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

The choice was made to do a "B" USB connector instead of hardwiring the USB cable in so that longer cables could be used (includes a 6' cord) and yes, if you wanted you could hardwire an Atari 9 pin cable into it if you wanted and make it a dual use joystick too.

Incredible - so you can cater to the PnP crowd, the hardcore enthusiasts and those wishing to use it as the base for a low cost alternate input device. A total win in thoughtful design! :cool: :thumbsup:

The USB joystick looks great :thumbsup: I love this "new retro" stuff, it's good for Atari's image too.

Just wondering, would it be possible to have 2 Mame compatible fire buttons underneath the joystick that could be pressed by the players index and middle finger? Just an idea :ponder:

Do what you want with it :D

The USB joystick looks great :thumbsup: I love this "new retro" stuff, it's good for Atari's image too.

Just wondering, would it be possible to have 2 Mame compatible fire buttons underneath the joystick that could be pressed by the players index and middle finger? Just an idea :ponder:

The board was designed specifically for people who may need more then one button (for instance - some MAME games require coin insert no matter what, you could add a button for that, then map the player 1 start to the fire button and never have to reach for the keyboard during the game) Also some games are going to need a 2nd fire button, so you can always add one onto the plastic where it's accessible and convenient or for the more handy of modders - do a full arcade stick with happ joystick and buttons, wire it to the board and just really go to town ;-)

Curt

Edited by Curt Vendel

sounds and looks great! i'd take two of those ...

what about the colors? could you do the ring around the stick in orange as the initial CX40 sticks?

i would also probably prefer seeing the logo on the front of the case, not on top ...

this is what should have been done at atarigrames in the first place ... followed by USB paddles ...

and a USB wireless joystick :lust:

The "blob" is the USB MCU and the header is for 10 additional firebuttons is anyone wants to tinker and hack the stick to add more buttons for use, you could always remove the pcb and use it in an arcade control panel project or in a MAME cabinet, a great low cost alternative to the more expensive arcade control boards that are sold.

Can you hack paddles to it? If it was basically a Stelladapter inside it would be perfect.