IGNORED

someone getting hosed out of $150

JustJeff2

In all honesty I don't think an Atlantis 2 box would be that hard to fake either. He might just stick a label on and claim the "I didn't know it's a fake" BS when he knows all along it is a fake.

Yes, agreed, it would be quite trivial to fake an Atlantis II box. But if you did that, why wouldn't you take pictures of it to make it seem more legitimate?

I wouldn't pay this guy even if he showed pictures of the cart plugged in running on a TV. Ask Dino. He got hosed by someone doing that last time.

I would be wary as well, but might be willing to take a $150 chance if the evidence looked compelling enough. :)

..Al

In all honesty this guy just wants to make a few bucks. Not having a "real" photo just makes that little tiny "what if it is real?" pop up in the back of your head. I wouldn't be suprised if he slapped a sticker on and was to lazy to get the font right. When Lemoncurry asks him to get a camera and take a picture of the real box he'll borrow a camera off his friend except the quality will be so poor you can only make out that there is a sticker there. Sort of like Topol's auctions before he upgraded his camera.

He could also have a repo cart and try mailing it. That's what happened to Dino. The auction that Dino won (he took a second chance offere IIRC) also had a clear picture of an Atari 2600 in front of a TV with an "Atlantis II" cart plugged in. The screen clearly showed the Atlantis II fonts on it. Only thing is Atlantis II carts look exactly like regular Atlantis carts, and once the cables disappear behind the TV you have no idea what is going where.

Anyhow I really hope Lemoncurry doesn't get hosed. I honestly do. I just have a lot of doubts about this one. :|

In all honesty this guy just wants to make a few bucks. Not having a "real" photo just makes that little tiny "what if it is real?" pop up in the back of your head. I wouldn't be suprised if he slapped a sticker on and was to lazy to get the font right. When Lemoncurry asks him to get a camera and take a picture of the real box he'll borrow a camera off his friend except the quality will be so poor you can only make out that there is a sticker there. Sort of like Topol's auctions before he upgraded his camera.

He could also have a repo cart and try mailing it. That's what happened to Dino. The auction that Dino won (he took a second chance offere IIRC) also had a clear picture of an Atari 2600 in front of a TV with an "Atlantis II" cart plugged in. The screen clearly showed the Atlantis II fonts on it. Only thing is Atlantis II carts look exactly like regular Atlantis carts, and once the cables disappear behind the TV you have no idea what is going where.

Anyhow I really hope Lemoncurry doesn't get hosed. I honestly do. I just have a lot of doubts about this one. :|

I agree with everything you said--it's something I personally would stay away from, but if he's willing to take a gamble, it's his $152 (plus shipping). Of course, this only rewards scammers if it does turn out to be fraudulent. With PayPal you could file an "Item not as Described" claim and hopefully get your money back, or do a chargeback if you're using a credit card. Not sure I'd trust someone at PayPal to take the time to understand the situation. I could see them saying, "You got an Atari 2600 cart from this seller? Yes? Claim rejected!"

I hadn't thought about the repro angle--that would be a lot of effort (along with everything else) just to scam someone out of $150. That would be the way to go if you wanted to net $1K+, along with taking the nebulous, not-quite-in-focus shots of a faked box.

..Al

Yeah Al, but this guy just might send nothing too. He has a feedback of 3 (IIRC) and I really think he was looking to get a bite on a side deal, get the money and run.

I think Paypal holds your money for X number of days now with eBay transactions. Is that right? Do they do the same if you send money to anyone for a non-eBay transaction?

If they don't hold money for non-ebay stuff then I imagine there are people with several ebay accounts, bank accounts, paypal accounts... that go around fishing for side deals. One deal is not too profitable, but several deals in different categories each day under different alises would be. Anyhow that is just all conspiracy theory BS. Don't mind me. I just watched a documentary one day on people that steal peoples identities for a living. One guy they busted had a file folder of about 200 peoples financial info that he could pick and choose from, and mail away to get credit cards with.

That's right, I forgot about the hold thing, I'm going to write PayPal and ask if they're going to do it for this, seems like the ideal candidate for it.

I haven't had them do this with me yet, but I bet they are more inclined to do so for people with low feedback. I thought I saw a list of criteria that eBay used to determine if your funds would be held or not..

..Al

I said I would make him a offer of 1000$ but first I want to see some pics!

The reply came immediately and was very interesting.......

Hallo iwan-iwanowitsch-goratschin,

Wow are you kidding me? Well I will get a camera and will send you pictures asap. Just so you know this is a legit thing.

Was all this before or after the auction ended? Did he send the pictures?

And I sure wouldn't send him $1000 without winning the auction, all that PayPal hold stuff is only for eBay deals...

Wow are you kidding me? Well I will get a camera and will send you pictures asap. Just so you know this is a legit thing.

And I sure wouldn't send him $1000 without winning the auction, all that PayPal hold stuff is only for eBay deals...

He made the offer after the auction ended!

Simple, low grade criminal. Someone needs to go see this "game" in person. I bet they are under 18 years old.

AX

As far as ebay/paypal holding funds, it depends on the category and the seller. Video Games is one of the categories that this applies to, so the variable is the seller. It definatey has something to do with either their feedback or seller dashboard score. Presumably with a low feedback like 3, the funds sent to him, if through PayPal, will be held untill/if the buyer leaves positive feedback.

That's all the proof you need that the guy is just out to steal some cash.

I would stay far far away.

Definitely use the "If it's too good to be true it usually is" theory on this one.

Yep, and I'd ask for the pics to be taken on that same beat hardwood floor next to that 70's rug like in his other auctions just for proof that the pics are real.

That would be ideal--at minimum something showing the current date (newspaper, for instance) and/or the user's eBay ID. Of course, things like that can be photoshopped, but the more hoops the seller has to jump through to prove legitimacy, the better.

..Al

An experienced eBayer won it- at least a name from the past - Bayniac! Who is that anyway? Such a great name. Anyway, I look forward to follow-up. I was in touch with the seller a bit, says his uncle gave him the box of games who was a real Atari fanatic. I told him to email me if the guy wants to be interviewed about his possible trip to the Atlantis championships. I kind of doubt anything even close will occur, but I give folks the benefit of the doubt.

He had a really suspicious story about how he took his Atari games to a shop in New England and a guy working there offered him $100 on the spot for Atlantis II, so he thought it must be valuable and took it to eBay. Seriously, any shop stupid enough to make that kind of offer seems fictitious. I dunno...

Well I have a copy of this game if anybody's really interested in buying it. Here's a link to the picture I took:

http://www.atariage.com/box_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=1037

Just send me $150.00 in cash, and i'll send you the game. :evil:

DON'T DO IT!!

This guy is trying to scam you!!

That's MY copy of Atlantis II, and I'LL sell it to you for only $149.95!