IGNORED

What is the average age of the gameplayer in America?

Ross PK

Over here in the UK suprisingly it's supposed to be in the late 20's or early 30's (can't remember exactly). I was expecting it to be teens.

The reason why I ask is because I hear a lot of Americans say that a lot of their friends or family think that they should've grown out of playing video games, and they're just for kids (teens and under). So, I was wondering if the average age of the game player in America is actually younger than what it is over in the UK.

Edited by Ross PK

I think an "exact" number would depend on what types of games you include - if you include casual PC games, then it's almost certainly over 30. Heck, even my mom plays Pogo-type games on her PC. But even for console gamers it's well over 18, regardless of platform. I haven't seen any data for handheld players, but I would guess the averages is slightly younger.

My guess was that the average gamer would fit into the 18 - 24 demographic and generally be male.

But my guess is wrong. According to Wikipedia the average gamer has been playing for 12 years and is 35.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game#Demographics

At least I was right on the male part.

Bean has started understanding how to play games and she's 19... months. :P

Her favorite at the moment is a pixilated Bunny that jumps up to 'catch' various shapes as they go by.

Is that a Wii game? Sounds like it.

Calm down Nintendo Fanboys. I own a Wii and love it. I can poke fun...