IGNORED

where did you see/touch your first piece of Atari computer/games hardware

carmel_andrews

Was it at a shop window display

Was it being Demo'd in a shop

At your friends, relatives or parents house

Or other

For me, the first piece of Atari gaming hardware i saw was the orig. vcs console and box in a WH Smith window display in Margate (1980)

The first piece of Atari hardware i touched was the Atari 800 in a Dixons store in stevenage (late 1981) where it was being demo'd (i think it was showing Star Raiders, but can't be too sure)

The first piece of Atari hardware i touched was the Atari 800 in a Dixons store in stevenage (late 1981) where it was being demo'd (i think it was showing Star Raiders, but can't be too sure)

Star Raiders was the best demo for the 400/800. That is what I remember, seeing a 800 attached to a projector TV... oh man, I still get chills thinking about Star Raiders projected on a 8 foot by 6 foot screen. That was just AWESOME.

Someday, I play to do that again...

For me, it was a looooong time later. In fact, it was about 2005 when I saw this Atari 2600 for the first time in a used video game shop. I thought, "well, this is an interesting looking video game system. I think I'll buy it." So I did. And then I bought more games for it. And then it died, so I had to get another one (which was for sale at the same place.), and then I got even more games for it. And then I started getting homebrew games for it. And then I started making games for it. And 228 games and 3,000 posts in AA later, I'm still buying games for it.

[OK...if he's going to double-post the question, I'm going to double-post my answer :twisted: ]

My first exposure to TV games was back in 1975 or so. After school, if the 110 baud time-sharing teletype was not available, we would walk over to Sears and play the Pong demonstration unit in the TV department. We got pretty good together and sometimes a crowd would gather to watch.

She was staring at me across the room, I walked up to her and told her babe, tomorrows so far away. There's something I just have to say, and I dont think I can hide what I'm feelin inside Another day knowin I love you. And I'm getting too close again, I don't want to see it end. Im gonna take you by surprise and make you realize.....

And then I took her out back and I told her don't hide it, just divide it. And please don't knock it until you've tried it. So to all of you bitches and all you hoes Lets have group sex and do the rambo! Somebody say hey-y-y-y-y we want some pu......oh, you're asking about the first time I touched my first piece of Atari?

I used to try the 2600/Telegames displays at Sears in 1980/1981 and finally got my parents to buy me one (the 2600 package with Combat game included) in mid 1981. Sears also had 400 and 800 displays too. I got my first computer, an Atari 800XL, new in 1983. There was a toy store called 'Child World' that had lots of Atari displays shortly before they closed.

Around '87 or '88. I was in about the first grade and my friends had NES but my parents wouldn't get me one. My neighbor's grandson had apparently gotten an NES as well because she gave me his old 4-swith woody with 18 games, most in pitiful condition. I have owned and played a VCS non-stop since then but if my neighbor hadn't given it to me, I'm not sure I would have ever seen one. I didn't get anything else until my SNES around '94. I do have a few fond memories of the NES because my stepbrother had one, as well as all my friends. Still, it's very strange when everyone your own age grew up on a generation-newer system than you did. I have to explain Atari to people my own age.

Back in 81,i bought a factory reconditioned 2600 for like $150.New 2600's were like $300 Cdn new back then,considered a great deal back then.So pulling that out of the box was the 1st time i touched anything Atari.

Edited by Rik

My cousin's brand new Atari he got in xmas of '82, a couple of days before my grandpa died. When he passed away, we went down south for the funeral, and the Atari basically babysat my brother and I while my parents dealt with the funeral. I remember playin Donkey Kong for like six hours straight.

It must have been 1977 so I was 7. There was a family down the street that was the first on the block to get one. Their dad was a computer programmer so he was into tech stuff.

I remember being amazed at all those colorful boxes. The oranges, yellows and reds. They kept everything nice and neat and in the boxes on a shelf like books. Of course, everyone else had some version of Pong but man did we soon forget about Pong when we all saw that Atari.